Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel nesting on my window sill

Default Squirrel nesting on my window sill

Hello. I'm new to the forum here. I thought I'd join since a fox squirrel has decided to nest on my window sill at the closest possible spot to where my head is when I sleep. She lets me take pictures and videos, so I've started a group of videos on Youtube. The most recent one is linked here.

2. 12 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to victorengel:

BCChins (01-28-2021), Bravo (02-27-2021), Buddy (01-28-2021), island rehabber (01-28-2021), lukaslolamaus (01-28-2021), Mel1959 (01-28-2021), Saippenu (03-28-2021), Scooterzmom (01-28-2021), SugarMom (01-28-2021), sundoesshine (01-29-2021), tnd5 (01-28-2021), TubeDriver (01-28-2021)

Default Re: Squirrel nesting on my window sill

Wow, that's really special. I wonder if she was raised by someone, or just figured she'd take a shot at nesting close to the human because maybe people have fed her or whatever and she's had only good experiences with people, and you're a predator deterrent.

Just be on the lookout for her to suddenly decide to stress about being too close to you. I can't imagine that happening since she chose to be right there, but you never know. Although I guess if that should happen she'd just move them to a backup nest.

Just wook at dat widdle baby bottom, and baby tail, and baby feets . . .
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    Wow, that's really special. I wonder if she was raised by someone, or just figured she'd take a shot at nesting close to the human because maybe people have fed her or whatever and she's had only good experiences with people, and you're a predator deterrent.

Just be on the lookout for her to suddenly decide to stress about being too close to you. I can't imagine that happening since she chose to be right there, but you never know. Although I guess if that should happen she'd just move them to a backup nest.

Just wook at dat widdle baby bottom, and baby tail, and baby feets . . .
    For what it's worth, the window sill is on the second floor. Still, her nest is just a few inches from my head when I'm sleeping. The father (I'm assuming) had a habit of sleeping next to the window in the next room where I use the computer, with his feet on the window during the summer when the A/C was running. I figured he was trying to soak up the A/C.

Anyway, this mama squirrel originally started building a nest on the sill of the computer room, but an opossum frequently hangs out there (or at least used to), so I think she relocated in order to escape the opossum. Maybe she thinks the opossum will be afraid to get close to me. Whatever, I don't care. I am just enjoying it.

5. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to victorengel:

Buddy (01-28-2021), Chirps (01-28-2021), Scooterzmom (01-28-2021), TubeDriver (01-28-2021)

That is so cool! And it’s a scrumptious Fox squirrel, too! It’ll be so much fun to watch the baby grow and see first hand how momma interacts with it. You’re very lucky! Thank you for sharing this experience. I hope you post regular videos so we can all witness this once in a lifetime experience.

What a unique way to enjoy seeing your squirrel neighbors!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by victorengel View Post
    For what it's worth, the window sill is on the second floor. Still, her nest is just a few inches from my head when I'm sleeping. The father (I'm assuming) had a habit of sleeping next to the window in the next room where I use the computer, with his feet on the window during the summer when the A/C was running. I figured he was trying to soak up the A/C.

Anyway, this mama squirrel originally started building a nest on the sill of the computer room, but an opossum frequently hangs out there (or at least used to), so I think she relocated in order to escape the opossum. Maybe she thinks the opossum will be afraid to get close to me. Whatever, I don't care. I am just enjoying it.
    Wow! Clever boy!

That would have been a cute pic too.

Thumbs up Re: Squirrel nesting on my window sill

This is AWESOME I just love her and her baby🥰
    Does she only have one baby? Have you named them 😁
    Can't wait for more pics/video 🤗
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

So cool! Thanks for sharing!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    This is AWESOME I just love her and her baby🥰
    Does she only have one baby? Have you named them 😁
    Can't wait for more pics/video 🤗
    Just one. No names yet, but I'm taking nominations (I have several on Facebook).

OMG This is just the cutes, best thing ever! with such a view you could probably put together a documentary on how squirrel moms raise their babies *hint-hint
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Scooterzmom from:

Chirps (01-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom View Post
    OMG This is just the cutes, best thing ever! with such a view you could probably put together a documentary on how squirrel moms raise their babies *hint-hint
    I'll be adding videos about daily to the same squirrel playlist.

BTW, I suspect the sex can be determined by the most recent video. What do you say? Boy or girl?

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to victorengel from:

sundoesshine (01-29-2021)

The winning name for the mother is Noisette (French for hazelnut). No name for the baby yet.

Today, the father (I think, but maybe a neighbor squirrel) ventured out over my second floor window sill (other room), and he did something I'm wondering if people can explain. I have a Lady Banks rose climbing over the railing. He stopped every foot or two along his path to bite the plant and then rub his cheek where he bit. Is he marking territory? Donning perfume? Something else?

Café is French for coffee. Call the baby Café then you have Hazelnut coffee

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to BCChins from:

Chirps (01-30-2021)

[QUOTE=Chirps;1327694]Wow, that's really special. I wonder if she was raised by someone, or just figured she'd take a shot at nesting close to the human because maybe people have fed her or whatever and she's had only good experiences with people, and you're a predator deterrent./QUOTE]

It's so interesting she put No nest material along the glass, there has to be some level of comfort there, congrats on the instant family!

[QUOTE=sundoesshine;1327767]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    Wow, that's really special. I wonder if she was raised by someone, or just figured she'd take a shot at nesting close to the human because maybe people have fed her or whatever and she's had only good experiences with people, and you're a predator deterrent./QUOTE]

It's so interesting she put No nest material along the glass, there has to be some level of comfort there, congrats on the instant family!
    She rearranges the nesting materials regularly. Sometimes it's along the glass. Sometimes it's not. When it's along the glass, the photo opportunities are not as good, so I have little of that material. She does sometimes chew on the aluminum frame, though. I think the tends to go after the little bits that are sticking up and also shred large pieces into smaller ones.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to victorengel from:

sundoesshine (01-29-2021)

The winning name for the mother is Noisette (French for hazelnut). No name for the baby yet.

Today, the father (I think, but maybe a neighbor squirrel) ventured out over my second floor window sill (other room), and he did something I'm wondering if people can explain. I have a Lady Banks rose climbing over the railing. He stopped every foot or two along his path to bite the plant and then rub his cheek where he bit. Is he marking territory? Donning perfume? Something else?
    Probably marking territory. I’ve watched males chew on tree limbs when they are participating in the mating chase and it sure looks like they do it out of frustration.

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Chirps (01-30-2021), sundoesshine (01-29-2021)

I’m pretty techie illiterate. How do I access the new videos. The only one I’ve accessed is the one for Day 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I’m pretty techie illiterate. How do I access the new videos. The only one I’ve accessed is the one for Day 4.
    If you click on the link in Post #1 to see that video, once you're on YT you can click on the purple circle with the "V" in it next to Victor's name. That will take you to his channel, where you can subscribe and see the new videos as he posts them to his channel.

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

Mel1959 (01-31-2021)

I'll be adding videos about daily to the same squirrel playlist.

BTW, I suspect the sex can be determined by the most recent video. What do you say? Boy or girl?
    I keep watching it, but every time the required area is about to come into view, the little stinker pushes its bottom down etc. At one point as it's burrowing down, it totally upends like a duck or a humpback whale and just as that area is coming into view it clamps its hind feet together, almost like it doesn't want us to see its private bits. I thought I saw a boy bit, but it just moves too fast to be sure.

victorengel, I truly hate to be a buzzkill but I gotta bring this up; would never forgive myself if I didn't:

Be very, very careful with that male squirrel hanging around. "Fathering" squirrels don't exist; squirrels are a mammal where the mom does everything and dad does not participate or help. EXCEPT: like in other mammal species, some dominant males will actually kill a female's babies in order to be able to impregnate her with HIS sperm. Yep, nasty it is, and truthful as well. That bruiser may be hanging around for just this reason and I pray he doesn't get a chance.

Just keep an eye on him.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

29. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Chirps (01-30-2021), JLM27 (03-28-2021), Rock Monkey (02-03-2021), TubeDriver (02-10-2021)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast