Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Squirrel nesting on my window sill

Default Re: Squirrel nesting on my window sill

See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

He’s such a cutie!

Wow that is so cool.

Weaning is in full force now. Mama lies down on a railing to prevent access to her milk. The young squirrel tries to get access but is foiled. His most effective technique, which gets mama to stand up is to bite her heels. Needless to say, she's none too pleased with this behavior. Meanwhile, the little one snacks on my roses and bird food I've put out for the squirrels.

5. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to victorengel:

Buddy (04-08-2021), Chirps (04-16-2021), Mel1959 (04-09-2021), sundoesshine (04-08-2021)

You might try providing some Henrys blocks which can be purchased online at Henrys Pet. The picky blocks are well liked and are solid nutrition for baby and momma. Avocado (no skin or pit) and fresh coconut chunks, fresh corn on the cob, sweet potato and butternut squash chunks are all healthy for them and will provide some options beyond bird food.

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (04-09-2021), island rehabber (04-09-2021), SugarMom (04-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by victorengel View Post
    Weaning is in full force now. Mama lies down on a railing to prevent access to her milk. The young squirrel tries to get access but is foiled. His most effective technique, which gets mama to stand up is to bite her heels. Needless to say, she's none too pleased with this behavior. Meanwhile, the little one snacks on my roses and bird food I've put out for the squirrels.
    Last night there was a raccoon. Surprisingly (to me), there was no barking of the squirrels. They just made themselves scarce. When the raccoon approached the nest, I was going to chase it off by opening the window. When I reached for the window, the raccoon stepped back a step, so I just made menacing motions from my side of the window without opening it, and the raccoon went away. The squirrels returned a couple minutes later.

9. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to victorengel:

Buddy (04-17-2021), Chirps (04-16-2021), Mel1959 (04-16-2021), TubeDriver (04-16-2021)

It’s good that you were there. Raccoons will definitely kill a squirrel if they can get ahold of it. I worry that it will be back at night now that it knows the momma and baby are there.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (04-17-2021), TubeDriver (04-16-2021)

Is there anything that would keep raccoons or possums away? I see some raccoons occasionally in our neighborhood too.
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    It’s good that you were there. Raccoons will definitely kill a squirrel if they can get ahold of it. I worry that it will be back at night now that it knows the momma and baby are there.
    Well, the squirrels were not in the nest when the raccoon showed up. I was really just saving the squirrels from having to rebuild. The safety concerns were solved by the squirrels.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123