Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Is this a good list for grays?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    119
    Thanked: 33

    Default Is this a good list for grays?

    I cant remember where I got this list but is there anything on here that is bad for grays?
    I already have the Henry's food chart but this list has things on it not on the Henry's healthy diet list.
    Please let me know if anything on here is bad for grays.....

    A variety of healthy vegetables and fruits

    Wild foods from outside

    A source of protein

    A source of calcium

    Treats (not necessary to provide daily)




    Vegetables:*These add fiber, fresh vitamins, and micronutrients. Variety is key! Don't let your pet get hooked on just one veggie.


    arugula (Rocket)

    asparagus

    avocado (important for fur health)

    bok choy

    broccoli rabe (rapini)

    brussel sprouts

    cabbage

    carrots*

    canola/rapeseed

    cauliflower

    celery

    chayote

    cherry tomato

    chicory

    Chinese cabbage (gai-lan)

    cilantro, fresh

    collard greens

    cucumber

    dandelion greens

    daikon

    endive

    escarole

    fennel

    field pepperwood

    flowering cabbage

    garden cress

    green beans

    kale (important source of calcium)

    kohlrabi

    lettuce (all kinds)

    maca

    mushrooms (all kinds) (important source of Vitamin D)

    mustard greens

    okra

    parsley (fresh)

    pumpkin*

    purslane

    radicchio

    radishes

    rhubarb

    romaine

    radicchio

    radishes

    romaine

    tatsoi

    snow peas

    soybeans

    squash, winter*

    squash, yellow*

    sugar snap peas

    sweet potato*

    Swiss chard

    watercress

    zucchini


    *items marked with asterisks * are either high in sugar or have high concentrations of minerals or vitamins and should be fed sparingly


    Fruits:

    apple

    apricot

    banana*

    blackberries

    blueberries

    cantaloupe

    cherries (sour and sweet*)

    cranberries

    grapefruit

    grapes*

    honeydew

    kiwi

    kumquat

    lemon

    lime

    mango*

    nectarine

    oranges

    papaya

    peach

    pear

    pineapple

    pomegranate*

    raspberries

    strawberries

    tomato*

    watermelon


    *items marked with asterisks * are either high in sugar or have high concentrations of minerals or vitamins and should be fed sparingly


    Wild Foods:*These provide extra nutrients, amusement and exercise.*Before you feed an unfamiliar wild food, always make sure it's not toxic!*Do not use flowers from a florist because they are often treated with unhealthy chemicals

    Safe plants and flowers:

    bottlebrush flowers

    camelia

    carnations

    chrysanthemums

    clover (red and white)

    crabapples

    daisies

    dandelion greens

    hibiscus (all parts)

    lambs quarters

    magnolia cones

    marigold

    maple seeds

    moss rose

    natal plum

    petunia

    plantain

    primrose

    purslane

    roses

    rose hips

    wood sorrel


    Safe Trees (branches):

    apple

    aspen

    birch

    black walnut

    bottlebrush

    cherry

    dogwood

    hickory

    locust

    magnolia

    maple

    mulberry*(all parts)

    oak

    orange

    palm nuts & fronds (NOT the cycads: sago palm, cardboard palm, etc. are deadly)

    pine cones

    pear

    pine (3-needle and 5-needle pines)

    poplar

    portulaca

    raintree

    spruce

    torenia

    walnut





    Protein:*An important source of protein, grubs or insects must be included in a flyer’s*daily*diet. Sprinkle calcium powder on insects to reach a proper calcium/phosphorus balance.

    cicadas

    crickets

    egg (hardboiled)

    grasshoppers

    grubs

    mealworms

    moths

    waxworms



    Calcium:*A must for preventing metabolic bone disease

    calcium powder (sprinkled on fruit)

    cheeses (shredded, small pieces, cream)

    cuttlebone (sold at pet stores for birds)

    deer antler

    Fox Valley formula (can be fed to adults) (as powder or liquid)

    sour cream

    yogurt (plain)



    Tooth health food:*Thesehelp keep teeth worn down.

    chicken bones (cooked)

    deer antlers (often available on ebay)

    rocks (cleaned)

    sea shells

    tree branches (see wild foods)



    Rodent blocks:*Offered as a supplemental food and NOT a main food.

    Harland Tekland 2018

    Henry’s Healthy Blocks Flyer Formula



    Mazuri - rat and mouse blocks (blue bag)
    KayTee FortiDiet - rat, mouse and hamster blocks



    Treats:*These fun foods can help with bonding, but should always be fed in small amounts.

    nuts and seeds

    dried fruits (raisins, cherries, banana chips etc.)

    A box of clean dirt provides exercise, enrichment, surprises to chew on and minute amounts of trace minerals.


    Treats: Nuts/Seeds/Grains:*To be given in small amounts as treats, no more than two a day.

    almonds

    black walnuts

    Brazil nuts

    chestnuts

    flax seed

    hazelnuts (filberts)

    oats (raw/dry/unflavored/unsweetened)

    pecans

    pine nuts

    pumpkin seeds

    safflower seeds

    sesame*seeds

    soy nuts

    squash seeds

    walnuts

  2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to bednarkim77 from:

    Skipsmom (01-25-2021)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    East coast of Florida
    Posts
    7,843
    Thanked: 10689

    Default Re: Is this a good list for grays?

    I would nix the soybean. The things that jump out at me about the other items are : the Harlan block is not a supplemental block. They can have as much as they want. Henry’s is a supplemental block...2-3 a day. If the KayTee Forti diet is the one with the multi colored pieces and seeds then I’d avoid it. Hard extruded block from KayTee, Mazuri and Zupreem are recommended. I didn’t see coconut on the list. It is well liked and they can have the meat and the shell. Marrow bones are also well liked. Flyers are typically the only ones who eat protein, but dwarfs have also been known to.

  4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

    bednarkim77 (01-24-2021)

  5. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    119
    Thanked: 33

    Default Re: Is this a good list for grays?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I would nix the soybean. The things that jump out at me about the other items are : the Harlan block is not a supplemental block. They can have as much as they want. Henry’s is a supplemental block...2-3 a day. If the KayTee Forti diet is the one with the multi colored pieces and seeds then I’d avoid it. Hard extruded block from KayTee, Mazuri and Zupreem are recommended. I didn’t see coconut on the list. It is well liked and they can have the meat and the shell. Marrow bones are also well liked. Flyers are typically the only ones who eat protein, but dwarfs have also been known to.
    Thank you, my nr has always had HHB picky and fresh veggies from Henry's list, she is picky and I have a heck of a time getting her to eat veggies, she also gets extra calcium once a day (from henrys) because she has MBD but she is much much better you would even know she had it now , and then I have 2 a few months now since babies and they are going to be released this spring their mom was killed by a hawk the other 4 siblings didnt get to me in time and didnt make it. But I feed them booballs mixed with HHB and teklad 2018 walnuts or pecans or almonds, foxvalley 2050 ,multidophilus, coconut oil, baby food . And fresh veggies . They are becoming a little picky I want to find a new booball recipe and I want to start new veggies so that's what I'm worried about if the veggie list above has anything they cant have. What about hard boiled eggs ? Or can I clean and bake the shells and mix in booballs?

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    119
    Thanked: 33

    Default Re: Is this a good list for grays?

    Maybe I will switch up the blocks and see if I use another if they will like the booballs better.
    Is there a certain name of these kinds of rodent blocks or is this the full name of the products maybe it's the teklad they are sick of in the recipe.
    I wish I had a different recipe to try .

    Harlan block?
    Hard extruded block from KayTee?
    Mazuri?
    Zupreem?

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    17,098
    Thanked: 6440

    Default Re: Is this a good list for grays?

    No brazil nuts - too high in selenium.

    Mention that peel and pit of avocado should NOT be fed.

    Also, the pits of stonefruit - peaches, apriots, plums, cherries, etc., should never be fed as they contain cyanide.

    Portulaca/moss rose shows toxicity for dogs definitely - I would remove them from the list.

    Flax seeds and pine nuts are not toxic but they are SO high in phosphorus that they can really contribute to MBD. With so many other choices, I don't consider them as food or treats...

    Field Pepperwood??

  8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

    bednarkim77 (01-24-2021)

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    119
    Thanked: 33

    Default Re: Is this a good list for grays?

    Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    No brazil nuts - too high in selenium.

    Mention that peel and pit of avocado should NOT be fed.

    Also, the pits of stonefruit - peaches, apriots, plums, cherries, etc., should never be fed as they contain cyanide.

    Portulaca/moss rose shows toxicity for dogs definitely - I would remove them from the list.

    Flax seeds and pine nuts are not toxic but they are SO high in phosphorus that they can really contribute to MBD. With so many other choices, I don't consider them as food or treats...

    Field Pepperwood??

    Thank you. I never give skin of fruit or seeds of any kind except pumpkin seeds in the fall and acorn squash seeds weekly.
    I dont offer much fruit because of the sugar and them being picky but I do mix baby food fruit in the booballs which they are getting sick of.
    They get fresh wood and I buy unfinished wooden blocks for them to play with and chew, I do use coconut shells for them to chew, I give them a fresh coconut once a month and then when they break through it I take it away and scrape the meat out and give them a few bits once in a while but they get the shell .

    I have some cilantro is that safe? What kind of nutrition does it have?

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    119
    Thanked: 33

    Default Re: Is this a good list for grays?

    Thank you , Sorry for all the questions but I always feel like there is always more to learn,
    I also like to hear other people's opinions and tips and tricks .

    This has always been my dream to be a wildlife rehabilitator and I will forever make a point to learn something new every day

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    East coast of Florida
    Posts
    7,843
    Thanked: 10689

    Default Re: Is this a good list for grays?

    Cilantro and cilantro are safe. I’m not sure about the nutrition, but it provides some variety. Parsley does as well. My guys used to like watercress, radicchio, chicory, and occasionally book chop. I know many have said their guys liked chayote squash....mine never ate it.

    Here’s a recipe for baked boo squares. Maybe your guys would like them for a change. Obviously you can substitute other nuts, Fox Valley and whatever baby food your guys like. I think I’m going to try making some of these, too. My dwarf is the epitome of picky, so I thought maybe.....

    You shouldn’t need to add calcium if you’re using a ground rodent block as the base. I think Teklad is superior nutritionally, but Zupreem Rodent Dry Diet is actually liked by my dwarf. It’s available many places online.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

    bednarkim77 (01-24-2021)

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    119
    Thanked: 33

    Default Re: Is this a good list for grays?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Cilantro and cilantro are safe. I’m not sure about the nutrition, but it provides some variety. Parsley does as well. My guys used to like watercress, radicchio, chicory, and occasionally book chop. I know many have said their guys liked chayote squash....mine never ate it.

    Here’s a recipe for baked boo squares. Maybe your guys would like them for a change. Obviously you can substitute other nuts, Fox Valley and whatever baby food your guys like. I think I’m going to try making some of these, too. My dwarf is the epitome of picky, so I thought maybe.....

    You shouldn’t need to add calcium if you’re using a ground rodent block as the base. I think Teklad is superior nutritionally, but Zupreem Rodent Dry Diet is actually liked by my dwarf. It’s available many places online.
    Do you know if I can use foxvalley 2050 instead of the other formula?

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    East coast of Florida
    Posts
    7,843
    Thanked: 10689

    Default Re: Is this a good list for grays?

    Absolutely!

  15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

    bednarkim77 (01-25-2021)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •