Thread: Questions on release in Alabama and temps varying. Also wet noses.

Default Questions on release in Alabama and temps varying. Also wet noses.

I have 2 squirrels. Age approx. 3.5 months. I was told by a reahbber to place in outside cages to prepare for release. They began runny noses and male became congested. I brought them back in and administered amox/clav due to the fact they became worse over a 2 day waiting period of seeing if it was just runny noses or something more setting in. 7.5 days later, cured & better. Waited 2 weeks tried again and now 5th night out and we are back to runny noses NO congestion yet. Any honest suggestions please. I am a new rehabber so I am extremely dedicated to help. I just need guidance through those who have the experience please. Here are the temps. I ask 3 diff rehabbers and get all diff. Answers. Now my babies are sick? Or adjusting? This will be the 2nd time. ...Thank you all in advance. Rt now it's clear runny noses same as last time but it got worse as days went by. Temps here are running in 30s at night and bouncing to 50s for day to 70s...crazy.

Default Re: Questions on release in Alabama and temps varying. Also wet noses.

So they’re approx. 12.5 weeks old? I think considering this has happened for the second time and they are this age, I’d bring them back inside and wait several more weeks before placing them outside again. In my mind there’s no hurry to get them into the release cage since you shouldn’t release till there’s leaves on the trees, which could be awhile in Alabama. We’re still in the middle of winter. Giving them several more weeks inside will allow the temps to moderate a little. And then allow them 2-4 weeks in the release cage before opening the door. It has been my experience that if they are older when they are released they seem to do better. I don’t think there’s any rush and you certainly don’t want to release them until they are in top notch physical shape.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Buddy (01-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    So they’re approx. 12.5 weeks old? I think considering this has happened for the second time and they are this age, I’d bring them back inside and wait several more weeks before placing them outside again. In my mind there’s no hurry to get them into the release cage since you shouldn’t release till there’s leaves on the trees, which could be awhile in Alabama. We’re still in the middle of winter. Giving them several more weeks inside will allow the temps to moderate a little. And then allow them 2-4 weeks in the release cage before opening the door. It has been my experience that if they are older when they are released they seem to do better. I don’t think there’s any rush and you certainly don’t want to release them until they are in top notch physical shape.
    I live in MS with a 13 week old. Mine is still on formula. The temps are entirely to unpredictable to release. I have absolutely no plans on Tuff’s release until March or April. How did yours wean so quickly. What is their diet consisting of? I don’t think at 12.5 weeks they are ready for a release. When did you find them? A more experienced rehabber on here can comment more about this. But I would definitely say no on the release of them at this time.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tuff from:

Mel1959 (01-23-2021)

I'm in extreme north Alabama. I released Rocky a couple of years ago on April 20th when trees got a good leaf cover. He was overwintered and was about 8 1/2 months old at release time and did great.

Also released Coco last year but in June as she was a spring baby and wasn't old enough when leaves came out in April. I think she was 20 weeks old in June when released and she has done great as well.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

Mel1959 (01-23-2021), Tuff (01-23-2021)