Thread: Georgie would not eat his pecan today. Worried about teeth

Default Georgie would not eat his pecan today. Worried about teeth

Georgie is 7 and a half month old and he gets two or three nuts per week . He usually devours the nuts I give him. He only gets pecans, almonds, hazelnuts and walnuts.
    This morning I gave him two almonds and a pecan. I didn't pay much attention but 2 hours later I realized he was running around in his cage with the uncracked pecan in his mouth.
    I thought that was odd but didn't give it much more thought until this evening and he still running around with the pecan in his mouth. I'm concerned that he suddenly can't open pecans.

I've posted before about him not chewing on wood or sticks or toys that I give him. I tried everything to get him to chew on stuff to wear his teeth down but he's not interested. Now I'm worried that his teeth are gone too long. He absolutely will not let me look at them and I'm in a state where there's no vets to take him to for teeth clipping because we aren't supposed to have squirrels here.

Does anybody else's squirrels hold on to their nuts without opening them right away? Help!

Default Re: Georgie would not eat his pecan today. Worried about teeth

Have the camera ready first thing in the morning when he stretches and yawns.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiesMom View Post
    Georgie is 7 and a half month old and he gets two or three nuts per week . He usually devours the nuts I give him. He only gets pecans, almonds, hazelnuts and walnuts.
    This morning I gave him two almonds and a pecan.
    Does he get 2 - 3 nuts week, or 2 - 3 nuts a day?!?!

I have a non-releasable that will hang on to a nut in the shell for days, but that is only so he can tease and torment all his neighbors that he has a nut. He pulls it out and shows it off, sending all his neighbors into a tizzy. But this might not be the best comparison.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Buddy (01-20-2021)

If you can handle him, try wrapping him tightly like a burrito in a blanket. Use a popsicle stick or tongue depressor to gently pry open his mouth. Four hands would probably be better than two for this job.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Have the camera ready first thing in the morning when he stretches and yawns.
    He's always up before me LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    If you can handle him, try wrapping him tightly like a burrito in a blanket. Use a popsicle stick or tongue depressor to gently pry open his mouth. Four hands would probably be better than two for this job.
    I can try that. However after I posted this yesterday I noticed that he is hiding the pecan around my bedroom. This is new Behavior as of yesterday. If I take the nut out of his hiding spot, he will just put it in a different hiding spot or take it back to his nest box to hide. It's probably normal behavior....just new.