Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me please (AKA) Squirrel05

Samyuktha Guest

Default Help me please (AKA) Squirrel05

Hello I'm from India.. My squirrel breed is Indian palm squirrel.. My squirrel is 7 months old.. She suddenly felt ill and I can feel she is having pain in her stomach and now she is eating barely.. she can't even walk properly.. She can take only a few steps and then she will fall like exhausted..someone help me please I don't know whats going on

Default Re: Help me please

Sorry to hear this. What exactly have you been feeding her?
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

Quote Originally Posted by Samyuktha View Post
    Hello I'm from India.. My squirrel breed is Indian palm squirrel.. My squirrel is 7 months old.. She suddenly felt ill and I can feel she is having pain in her stomach and now she is eating barely.. she can't even walk properly.. She can take only a few steps and then she will fall like exhausted..someone help me please I don't know whats going on
    Please tell us what is her diet, what all does she eat?
    Is she provided any type rodent block?
    Reason for asking...
    Her falling could be related to mbd which is directly related to a diet
    that does not provide the calcium required for a squirrels nutrition.
    When their body is not getting the calcium that's needed it leeches
    it from their bones. Mbd does effect body function, can cause paralysis.
    It is painful. It can be turned around with prompt treating if this is what
    is happening.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Buddy (01-20-2021), Grinderhead (01-20-2021), Mel1959 (01-20-2021)

Samyuktha Guest

Today I mixed some grined eggshells in her food and I fed her... Can I give her supplements which contains calcium and phosphorus?

Samyuktha Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Please tell us what is her diet, what all does she eat?
    Is she provided any type rodent block?
    Reason for asking...
    Her falling could be related to mbd which is directly related to a diet
    that does not provide the calcium required for a squirrels nutrition.
    When their body is not getting the calcium that's needed it leeches
    it from their bones. Mbd does effect body function, can cause paralysis.
    It is painful. It can be turned around with prompt treating if this is what
    is happening.
    I used to feed her with some cooked rice, fruits like apple, pomegranate and some dry fruits... And I also used to give her vimeral syrup which was suggested by my vet

Based on that diet this is probably MBD (metabolic bone disease). You should start her on some calcium. Find some calcium carbonate powder that doesn’t contain Vitamin D. You will want to dissolve it in something she’ll eat or something that can be given to her through a syringe. Here’s the link to MBD treatment. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-MBD-Treatment Yes, ground dried eggshells can be given as a source of calcium. https://tiphero.com/eggshell-calcium-powder

MBD is painful. Her bones are fragile. Prevent her from jumping or doing things where she could fall. MBD happens when a squirrels diet doesn’t contain enough calcium. The calcium is pulled from their bones to maintain the proper ratio for bodily functions to continue. It takes a while to restore the calcium levels in their bones so you have to be vigilant about giving her the necessary doses of calcium.

Moving forward she will need some type of rodent block to eat that provides the necessary nutrients.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (01-22-2021), stepnstone (01-21-2021)

Samyuktha Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Based on that diet this is probably MBD (metabolic bone disease). You should start her on some calcium. Find some calcium carbonate powder that doesn’t contain Vitamin D. You will want to dissolve it in something she’ll eat or something that can be given to her through a syringe. Here’s the link to MBD treatment. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-MBD-Treatment

MBD is painful. Her bones are fragile. Prevent her from jumping or doing things where she could fall. MBD happens when a squirrels diet doesn’t contain enough calcium. The calcium is pulled from their bones to maintain the proper ratio for bodily functions to continue. It takes a while to restore the calcium levels in their bones so you have to be vigilant about giving her the necessary doses of calcium.

Moving forward she will need some type of rodent block to eat that provides the necessary nutrients.
    Can I give her supplements contains calcium and phosphorus?

Samyuktha Guest

I fed her food with some grineded eggshells mixed but there is no improvement in her activities... She is still dull and she makes some sound as if its aching and she also had dysentery..

I posted the link to MBD in my previous post. You need to follow it and give her the appropriate amount of calcium on a regular basis. It will take some time for her to recover.

Place a heating pad set on low under 1/2 of whatever she is sleeping in. Take care that she can’t chew the cord. If you don’t have a heating pad you can take some dry rice, put it in a sock, warm it in a microwave. Squish it around well to be sure there are no hot spots and then wrap it in a blanket and put it under her.

MBD if left untreated can cause seizures and death, so it’s imperative that you continue treatment. It won’t hurt her if it’s not MBD.

You don’t hear any clicking with her breathing, do you? No congestion in her nose?

Samyuktha Guest

I posted the link to MBD in my previous post. You need to follow it and give her the appropriate amount of calcium on a regular basis. It will take some time for her to recover.

Place a heating pad set on low under 1/2 of whatever she is sleeping in. Take care that she can’t chew the cord. If you don’t have a heating pad you can take some dry rice, put it in a sock, warm it in a microwave. Squish it around well to be sure there are no hot spots and then wrap it in a blanket and put it under her.

MBD if left untreated can cause seizures and death, so it’s imperative that you continue treatment. It won’t hurt her if it’s not MBD.

You don’t hear any clicking with her breathing, do you? No congestion in her nose?
    No I don't hear any clicking sound and no congestion in her nose but she is breathing rapidly.. is that normal?

It can be a sign of pain. MBD is painful. Do you have any liquid ibuprofen, like what is given to infants?

Samyuktha Guest

It can be a sign of pain. MBD is painful. Do you have any liquid ibuprofen, like what is given to infants?
    No i don't have it😢...i don't know what to do now

Did you read the MBD link and are you continuing to dose her with ground eggshells? It’s going to take far more than one dose to fix her. I also posted a link for the proper way to dry out and grind the eggshells.

What pain relievers do you have there that are intended for infant children?

Don't give calcium and phosphorus. Too much phosphorus and too little calcium in the diet is the REASON that MBD starts, so more phosphorus is exactly opposite of what you are looking for. You are better off using ground eggshell.

Samyuktha Guest

Did you read the MBD link and are you continuing to dose her with ground eggshells? It’s going to take far more than one dose to fix her. I also posted a link for the proper way to dry out and grind the eggshells.
    Yes I read.. And I'm continuing her dose.. Please pray for her

Samyuktha Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    What pain relievers do you have there that are intended for infant children?

Don't give calcium and phosphorus. Too much phosphorus and too little calcium in the diet is the REASON that MBD starts, so more phosphorus is exactly opposite of what you are looking for. You are better off using ground eggshell.
    Sorry.. I don't have any pain relievers 😞

Can you go to the store for liquid Ibuprofen? Then Mel1959 could tell you how much to give?

Default Emergency help me please

Hello guys... Iam having 7 months old Indian palm squirrel... She is not doing good for past 2 days... I saw her biting some woods day before yesterday and then after some times she became dull and doesn't have her appetite...and she can't even walk properly... She use to take few steps and then she will stop and take some rest.. And she makes some sound as if its aching while moving .. I thought it was mbd and I gave her some grineded eggshells mixed up with her food...and then she also had her dysentery... She can't poop and pee properly... I don't really know what's going on... I'm confused between mbd and some other... Some one help me please... She is been sick for the past 2 days.. And its getting worsening.. Please help me😭🙏

Default Re: Emergency help me please

And I also saw her bending down and doing something in her virginal area.. And she makes some sound like it's painful

Default Re: Emergency help me please

I see four categories of possible problems.

1) Mineral Bone Disease. You have already initiated emergency calcium treated. For how many days have you been doing this?
    2) She ate something toxic. The simplest solution for that is giving extra hydration to dilute any poisons. How is her thirst or appetite? What was the species of the wood she was chewing on? Would the stick have been coated with anything? Could there be some poison she ate? Is she an indoor only squirrel or is she an indoor outdoor squirrel?
    3) A bacterial infection of some kind. Treatment would be to give antibiotics in the appropriate dosage if the administrators decide that is the appropriate course of action.
    4) Aspiration Pneumonia. However, this is accompanied by a struggle to breathe, noisy breathing.

How long has she been struggling to pee and poop?

The MBD seems the most likely culprit. This treatment can take some days to turn things around. Have you seen any improvement from giving the calcium powder from eggshells?

However, it doesn't hurt to consider other possibilities while you continue to treat for MBD.

Can you post a photo or two or a link to a video posted on some other website? This will really help people make a better diagnosis.

The more symptoms you give and the more details about the timeline of the development of the symptoms, the easier it will be to arrive at a more accurate diagnosis.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (01-22-2021)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.