Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me please (AKA) Squirrel05

Default Re: Emergency help me please

She might have a urinary tract infection. That could explain the difficulty peeing and pooping and licking herself.

However, MBD when it gets bad interferes with proper nerve function and can result in painful sensations as the nerves misfire and limbs start to mis-function. They will sometimes start grooming or nibbling at the parts that are experiencing these sensations.

A video link is probably the single most useful thing. Though the answers to the other questions are important as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    I see four categories of possible problems.

1) Mineral Bone Disease. You have already initiated emergency calcium treated. For how many days have you been doing this?
    2) She ate something toxic. The simplest solution for that is giving extra hydration to dilute any poisons. How is her thirst or appetite? What was the species of the wood she was chewing on? Would the stick have been coated with anything? Could there be some poison she ate? Is she an indoor only squirrel or is she an indoor outdoor squirrel?
    3) A bacterial infection of some kind. Treatment would be to give antibiotics in the appropriate dosage if the administrators decide that is the appropriate course of action.
    4) Aspiration Pneumonia. However, this is accompanied by a struggle to breathe, noisy breathing.

How long has she been struggling to pee and poop?

The MBD seems the most likely culprit. This treatment can take some days to turn things around. Have you seen any improvement from giving the calcium powder from eggshells?

However, it doesn't hurt to consider other possibilities while you continue to treat for MBD.

Can you post a photo or two or a link to a video posted on some other website? This will really help people make a better diagnosis.

The more symptoms you give and the more details about the timeline of the development of the symptoms, the easier it will be to arrive at a more accurate diagnosis.
    I gave her eggshells since today and I don't have oven so I just boiled and fried the egg and grineded it...its not mixing up with water properly and she is not taking it too... I forced her little amount of it... And now she is in so much pain I think she is making sound whenever she makes a move...my vet asked me to give her melonex drop should I give her? Is that OK?

A video link is probably the single most useful thing. Though the answers to the other questions are important as well.
    I don't know how to upload a video... And she seems to be normal sometimes but actually when she goes to sleep or when she is climbing on the curtains she is making some sound

She is just fine until the day I saw her biting some woods and she also ran over all the way and played joyfully but after that suddenly she felt sick...

Squirrel05 - Samyuktha
    You have two forums under Life Threatening Help Needed using two different IP's under two different names
    addressing same squirrel, same issue. This is deceptive and confusing to those trying to help you and totally
    counter productive having scattered information in two different places when seeking help for your squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Samyuktha View Post
    Hello I'm from India.. My squirrel breed is Indian palm squirrel.. My squirrel is 7 months old.. She suddenly felt ill and I can feel she is having pain in her stomach and now she is eating barely.. she can't even walk properly.. She can take only a few steps and then she will fall like exhausted..someone help me please I don't know whats going on
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel05 View Post
    Hello guys... Iam having 7 months old Indian palm squirrel... She is not doing good for past 2 days... I saw her biting some woods day before yesterday and then after some times she became dull and doesn't have her appetite...and she can't even walk properly... She use to take few steps and then she will stop and take some rest.. And she makes some sound as if its aching while moving .. I thought it was mbd and I gave her some grineded eggshells mixed up with her food...and then she also had her dysentery... She can't poop and pee properly... I don't really know what's going on... I'm confused between mbd and some other... Some one help me please... She is been sick for the past 2 days.. And its getting worsening.. Please help me
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Default Re: Help me please

Squirrel05 - Samyuktha
    You have two forums under Life Threatening Help Needed using two different IP's under two different names
    addressing same squirrel, same issue. This is deceptive and confusing to those trying to help you and totally
    counter productive having scattered information in two different places when seeking help for your squirrel.

Hello guys... Iam having 7 months old Indian palm squirrel... She is not doing good for past 2 days... I saw her biting some woods day before yesterday and then after some times she became dull and doesn't have her appetite...and she can't even walk properly... She use to take few steps and then she will stop and take some rest.. And she makes some sound as if its aching while moving .. I thought it was mbd and I gave her some grineded eggshells mixed up with her food...and then she also had her dysentery... She can't poop and pee properly... I don't really know what's going on... I'm confused between mbd and some other... Some one help me please... She is been sick for the past 2 days.. And its getting worsening.. Please help me
    Hello I'm from India.. My squirrel breed is Indian palm squirrel.. My squirrel is 7 months old.. She suddenly felt ill and I can feel she is having pain in her stomach and now she is eating barely.. she can't even walk properly.. She can take only a few steps and then she will fall like exhausted..someone help me please I don't know whats going on
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

I don't know how to upload a video... And she seems to be normal sometimes but actually when she goes to sleep or when she is climbing on the curtains she is making some sound
    You will need to upload the video to some other website like YouTube, then provide us with the link to this video.

Sorry I'm new to this website and I don't know how to use this properly... I just wanted to elaborate the issue so I created another post

I gave her eggshells since today and I don't have oven so I just boiled and fried the egg and grineded it...its not mixing up with water properly and she is not taking it too... I forced her little amount of it... And now she is in so much pain I think she is making sound whenever she makes a move...my vet asked me to give her melonex drop should I give her? Is that OK?
    Baking the eggshells make them brittle, enabling them to be ground into a fine powder.

Were you able to turn the eggshells into a fine powder? Do have a mortar and pestle? You need to grind the eggshells between two hard things to make a powder.

Once you have a powder you can mix it with one of her favorite healthy foods. Maybe yogurt, or some nice, soft avocado. Then she would be more likely to eat this mixture and get the calcium she needs.

Don't force her to eat, she may choke on it and develop aspiration pneumonia.

Sorry I'm new to this website and I don't know how to use this properly... I just wanted to elaborate the issue so I created another post
    The best way to elaborate is to hit "Reply to Thread" in the original Thread that you created. Maybe an administrator can merge the two threads so all of the information will be in one place so everyone can see everything and not say the same things twice.

An administrator will have to decide whether the Melonex pain reliever is appropriate in this situation and if so, how much should be given.

In order to do so you will need to provide the squirrel's weight in grams.

Default Re: Help me please

https://youtu.be/wDvpaxTr3yo

Is your squirrel making this noise?

Baking the eggshells make them brittle, enabling them to be ground into a fine powder.

Were you able to turn the eggshells into a fine powder? Do have a mortar and pestle? You need to grind the eggshells between two hard things to make a powder.

Once you have a powder you can mix it with one of her favorite healthy foods. Maybe yogurt, or some nice, soft avocado. Then she would be more likely to eat this mixture and get the calcium she needs.

Don't force her to eat, she may choke on it and develop aspiration pneumonia.
    I grineded it using hard material and it's fine powder now... She is refusing to eat any kind of food

https://youtu.be/4c40S1LsDGM
    https://youtu.be/ZXL9kPcrlAc
    https://youtu.be/-acdu9YnxaE
    I don't know whether you can hear the sound.. She is sleeping now.. And when she moved she made that sound

https://youtu.be/4c40S1LsDGM
    https://youtu.be/ZXL9kPcrlAc
    https://youtu.be/-acdu9YnxaE
    I don't know whether you can hear the sound.. She is sleeping now.. And when she moved she made that sound
    In first link the one who is sitting up is the one who is sick

Thanks for providing links to the videos.

Refusing to eat and lethargic can mean she might have aspiration pneumonia, especially if you are hearing sounds as she breathes.

Do you hear sounds from her with each breath?

It is hard for me to tell given the back ground noise, but I do think I hear something in the breathing. For a healthy squirrel breathing should be a quiet, unremarkable event.

If she aspiration pneumonia, her best chances will be if she if she is given antibiotics as soon as possible.

Can you get any of the following medications?

Baytril (animal)/Cipro (human), Clavamox (animal)/Augmentin (human) are drugs that are used frequently for upper respiratory infections.

Here are some more details about the above antibiotics.

Baytril: Enrofloxacin, A member of the fluoroquinolone class. Made by Bayer
    Cipro (Ciloxan, Neofloxin) Ciprofloxacin, a broad-spectrum antibiotic of the fluoroquinolone class. Available as a generic.
    Clavamox: amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium
    Augmentin: AMOXICILLIN/CLAVULANIC ACID

If you are hearing sounds with each breath as she sleeps that points to aspiration pneumonia, which means some fluid or food has gotten in her pulmonary system and a bacterial infection has begun.

If so, while you are waiting for antibiotics it is important that she be kept warm because if she has aspiration pneumonia her lungs will not function at full capacity. It is good that she has a sibling to snuggle with.

Thanks for providing links to the videos.

Refusing to eat and lethargic can mean she might have aspiration pneumonia, especially if you are hearing sounds as she breathes.

Do you hear sounds from her with each breath?

It is hard for me to tell given the back ground noise, but I do think I hear something in the breathing. For a healthy squirrel breathing should be a quiet, unremarkable event.

If she aspiration pneumonia, her best chances will be if she if she is given antibiotics as soon as possible.

Can you get any of the following medications?

Baytril (animal)/Cipro (human), Clavamox (animal)/Augmentin (human) are drugs that are used frequently for upper respiratory infections.

Here are some more details about the above antibiotics.

Baytril: Enrofloxacin, A member of the fluoroquinolone class. Made by Bayer
    Cipro (Ciloxan, Neofloxin) Ciprofloxacin, a broad-spectrum antibiotic of the fluoroquinolone class. Available as a generic.
    Clavamox: amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium
    Augmentin: AMOXICILLIN/CLAVULANIC ACID
    I can't hear any clicking sound while she is breathing.. It may be because of the background sound...and I have a doubt Can mbd cause dysentery?

Please elaborate in your description of the sound you hear. If there is a sound with each breath, there is a problem.

Is the sound occurring in synchronization with her breathing?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.