Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are the Signs of Captive Female in Heat?

Default Re: What are the Signs of Captive Female in Heat?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Is Helen acting normal today?

Something toxic usually causes vomiting (squirrels don’t typically do this), diarrhea, bleeding, excessive thirst. If you suspect she could have gotten into something then try to flush her system with water and administer charcoal.
    Helen is missing again this morning. Damn. I don't know how and I don't know where she is. She could be in the house unresponsive somewhere behind something, so many places are possible.

I checking her number one nest and she isn't there. I put out an almond not in the shell in the usual location before I went to bed, as I always do. When I woke up after 9, the nut was missing.

I shook her box of nuts which I keep in the fridge and called and called and heard no sounds whatsoever. That box being shaken would bring her running from anywhere in the house if she conscious and well.

If she got out again, I don't know how. Maybe she found a work around to the way that I blocked yesterday. I don't think that is possible, but you never know.
    Maybe she has more than one way out. As of yet, I see no signs of fresh chewing in the house.

I am thinking that she has gotten out again, at least that is the preferable alternative.

I have put out some food and water on the back porch and will retrieve it before I go to bed. I have alerted some neighbors, including granary employees, who seem sympathetic to the issue. I will open two different ways for her to get back in, including a different one in the porch attic.

If she returns again, I don't expect her to do so until the sun starts getting low in the sky.

I really wonder if she is in heat. Had she really wanted to, I think she could have gotten out a long time ago. She has the nails, the teeth and plenty of spare time.

I think you need to fast forward your plan to get her to your preferred release sight. As I said in your other thread....I fear that one of these times she will just not return.

......Or put her in a cage inside your house till you’re ready to take her to the release sight. Only allow her out of cage time in a small space, like a bathroom or bedroom, while you’re in there with her.

I don’t think you’re doing her any favors by allowing her to be out in the house with all the exit options there are....especially if your local area is filled with so many hazards.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Buddy (01-22-2021)

I think Mel has great points. I know Helen hates being locked down. So maybe then you need to fast forward your release plan. If this keeps going; there are several challenges (as you explained in your earlier posts). Plus, even if she is fine coming in and going out (and you are okay with getting lots of gray hair!); then come to spring, you will relocate her and that might put extra stress on her too... It's a really tough position with many things to consider. I know you'll do whatever you think is the best option for her!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Mel1959 (01-22-2021)

Yes, I definitely plan to take her to the release site as soon as possible. She will be able to deal with the weather if she stays with the house. With all of this other scrambling I have been doing, I haven't been able to finish the last details of her house. I should be able to do that tonight. I need to disassemble my wheel barrow and get my ropes and pulleys worked out. I will need to climb the tree and haul the house up. House weighs 40 lbs and the roof 20 lbs. Won't try that on a rainy day.

Tweaked my lower back and shoulder hurriedly hauling around the heavy piece of flooring, 4x8 sheet, that I used to cover the area of her secret exit. Not a great state to be climbing a tree with few branches, they are all that way.

I have deferred the week of jury duty that was supposed to start this coming Monday.

I need one day to get the house to the site and up in a tree. The next day I would transport her there.

Keep her locked in one room only works for a few hours. Eventually she works the "Don'ts" non-stop. She has the capacity to destroy a lot of heirloom furniture and books. I would have to stay with her to minimize damage and I have to have food and bathroom breaks and she will make a break for it on those occasions or when I come back in.

I may see if any of the people I know have a cage that will work for a squirrel.

I agree that I may not get too many more chances at this, if any.

I have seen no sign of her so far today. No food on the back porch was touched.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (01-22-2021)

Oh man! Take care of yourself! If you injure yourself further; that's no good for you nor for Helen!

Keeping my finger crossed that Helen returns back home soon so there are no further worry...
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    ......Or put her in a cage inside your house till you’re ready to take her to the release sight. Only allow her out of cage time in a small space, like a bathroom or bedroom, while you’re in there with her.
    I don't have a cage of any sort. I guess I can build one with the hardware cloth that I have. I have a Have a Heart trap, but I will only get to use that once and that is how I plan to get her to the release site.

When she was little I would put her inside a box which I would cover with a hardware cloth compost screening tool as the sun was setting. The older she got, the more she would fuss. In the morning she would scramble up the smooth side of the cardboard, grab the small edge with her front paws then scramble her rear legs at full RPM, like the RoadRunner, with the side of her face pressed against the hardware cloth top. She wouldn't let up the exertion or her crying and carrying on. Over time this just got worse and worse. It was then that I decided she could choose where she wanted to sleep, no confinement at night.

She chose the old printer beside the computer and slept there until I made the mistake of washing the towel she had always slept on with bleach. Never, never slept there again. She never tried to sleep elsewhere in the room or to crawl into my bed, prior to that mistake.

Now if she is in my room she wants to sleep in my bed and gets upset when I climb in later and will attack my feet, no biting, through out the night interspersed with the occasional gentle grooming. That sleeping arrangement doesn't work for me. I am full alert all night long. So, I let her sleep elsewhere because that was where she preferred to be.

I really wonder if she is in heat because I think she could have gotten out a long time ago if she really wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Oh man! Take care of yourself! If you injure yourself further; that's no good for you nor for Helen!

Keeping my finger crossed that Helen returns back home soon so there are no further worry...
    I have to idea how she got out this latest time. I have guesses, but, who knows. They smell the fresh air wafting in and are not afraid to pad around in near pitch darkness.

She has always been a very intense squirrel. I first noticed her as a tiny little thing wobbling out to the tips of tiny branches, to get to buds I suppose. Crying, but had the sense to stay in the tree. She was thirty feet off the ground and had only one eye open.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (01-22-2021)

Awww! Lucky that you found her!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12