Thread: Should I be worried about her teeth??

Default Should I be worried about her teeth??

My flyer Roxi is around 4 months old. I've noticed she isn't really interested in getting in to nuts that are in the shell. She also has antler, cuttlebone and a pumice stone in her cage that I haven't seen her chew on. I've been reading a lot of the posts on this forum since my dog brought her to me back in October. I'm guessing she was 4-5 weeks old then. Name:  Roxiteeth.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  35.3 KBI've tried to learn everything I can about raising a flying squirrel. She is so sweet. She seems healthy. She still drinks 5cc of fox valley from a bowl every day. She eats 1 HHB. I give her veggies, waxworms, crickets and occasional fruit. I've given her a few in shell nuts and she has only gotten in to one hazelnut a while back. Ever since then the nuts just sit in her cage, so I started to worry. Because she is fast and squirmy it is very hard to get a good look at her teeth, much less get a picture. Tonight I was rubbing her head and cheeks while videoing and got to see a glimpse and now I'm very worried. Low light and poor quality and couldn't see her whole mouth, but looks like she might only have one tooth on the bottom and one short tooth on top. I need to try to really inspect her teeth before I panic. I have no idea if there is a vet near me that I could take her to. I live in north/central Florida. I know the vet that sees my cat and dogs does not see squirrels. I've already asked them about any vet that does and they gave me a really funny look. Should I be concerned about this or if she is eating fine otherwise just let her be???

Default Re: Should I be worried about her teeth??

Dr. Alicia Emerson in Port Orange - https://ravenwoodvet.net/our-veterin...cia-emerson-2/

We have members who have driven their squirrels cross country from California to see her because she is so good. And her specialty is teeth. She is also a "squirrel person" and you won't get any "looks" I can assure you.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

sraul (01-08-2021)

Thank you! I know this picture isn't the best, but do you think I should be concerned? Should I definitely take her to a vet? Even if she's otherwise eating, healthy and happy?

I would need a better photo to provide some feedback. The bottom tooth (teeth? can't tell) looks about the correct length, maybe a tiny bit long but not worryingly long. The top teeth looks about the correct length too.

Does she have both top teeth? Both bottom teeth? If she has all her teeth, are the top teeth wearing the same and evenly? Bottom teeth wearing the same and evenly?

Are the teeth a healthy orangish color?

Quote Originally Posted by sraul View Post
    Thank you! I know this picture isn't the best, but do you think I should be concerned? Should I definitely take her to a vet? Even if she's otherwise eating, healthy and happy?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

sraul (01-08-2021)

I’m not sure if flyer teeth get that same orange color as grays. Teeth can break and regrow providing the tooth bed isn’t damaged. I know what it’s like to deal with a squirmy flyer. Honestly, I’m not sure how you’d restrain her well enough to get a good look. Maybe for peace of mind a visit to Dr. E would be best.

I'm going to try to get a better picture today or tonight. Any ideas on the best way to do that? lol. It may require teamwork. Holding her securely, opening her mouth and taking a picture all at the same time sounds tricky

Definitely teamwork. Using something like a wooden popsicle stick can help keep the mouth open.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

sraul (01-08-2021)

Popsicle stick is a good idea

Hi. I just posted some pics of my California Ground Squirrel's teeth in the thread 'Just Shredding not Eating'. Check out the pics there and the conversation.

I'm watching that thread and yours to see if I can get the info and feedback I'm looking for too!

Cheers!