Thread: How to stop someone trapping and killing Canadian squirrels

Alcott Guest

Default How to stop someone trapping and killing Canadian squirrels

I live in Ontario Canada. Someone who does animal rescue has reported on Facebook that a person in my city is repeatedly trapping and killing squirrels. A neighbour keeps trying to rescue them. Calls to the spca and the animal welfare hotline haven't accomplished anything. Does anyone here live in Ontario and have any ideas about what could be done?
    The posting is on this group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/151834051528598

Thank you.

Default Re: How to stop someone trapping and killing Canadian squirrels

There is a highly reputable rehab facility in Ontario called Stormhaven Garden Wildlife Rehabilitation. 519-400-3108. Try calling there and see if they have any suggestions.

Good luck...and thank you for caring.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Grinderhead (01-12-2021), stepnstone (01-12-2021)

Can you find out who this person is and maybe someone can try talking to them?
    We had an older man in my mom's neighborhood that was luring squirrels into his garage and then gassing them. Several neighbors complained to each other but never confronted him directly.
    Then my sister went over and informed him that multiple neighbors had him on camera via their home security systems (this was not true) and she was going to report him for animal cruelty if he didn't stop.
    He explained that he thought they were pests and were ruining his attic, etc. She offered to proof his attic and home against rats and squirrels free of charge (she was then running my father's home improvement company) but he stopped gassing squirrels without taking her up on the offer. He lost his home and was moved into a facility for the elderly the next year, so the problem was effectively solved.
    Looking back on it though, it's possible this man wasn't intentionally being cruel. He was older, alone, lonely, and had this weird idea that 'pests' were going to ruin the house he was already on the verge of losing. If neighbors had spent time with him, it's possible he might've felt differently. It's also possible he was a sociopath and would've wanted to gas animals anyway.
    Since no one really engaged with him on a regular basis it's hard to say...

But I think talking to this person to find out what their deal is might be a place to start. If nothing else, anything they say about what they do can be effective leverage to get local wildlife authorities involved (maybe- idk how Canadian wildlife laws work). I may be way off-base, so this is just a thought.

Alcott Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    There is a highly reputable rehab facility in Ontario called Stormhaven Garden Wildlife Rehabilitation. 519-400-3108. Try calling there and see if they have any suggestions.

Good luck...and thank you for caring.
    Thank you very much for this! I will look into them.

Alcott Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mel_la_fee View Post
    Can you find out who this person is and maybe someone can try talking to them?
    We had an older man in my mom's neighborhood that was luring squirrels into his garage and then gassing them. Several neighbors complained to each other but never confronted him directly.
    Then my sister went over and informed him that multiple neighbors had him on camera via their home security systems (this was not true) and she was going to report him for animal cruelty if he didn't stop.
    He explained that he thought they were pests and were ruining his attic, etc. She offered to proof his attic and home against rats and squirrels free of charge (she was then running my father's home improvement company) but he stopped gassing squirrels without taking her up on the offer. He lost his home and was moved into a facility for the elderly the next year, so the problem was effectively solved.
    Looking back on it though, it's possible this man wasn't intentionally being cruel. He was older, alone, lonely, and had this weird idea that 'pests' were going to ruin the house he was already on the verge of losing. If neighbors had spent time with him, it's possible he might've felt differently. It's also possible he was a sociopath and would've wanted to gas animals anyway.
    Since no one really engaged with him on a regular basis it's hard to say...

But I think talking to this person to find out what their deal is might be a place to start. If nothing else, anything they say about what they do can be effective leverage to get local wildlife authorities involved (maybe- idk how Canadian wildlife laws work). I may be way off-base, so this is just a thought.
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it. My understanding is that the authorities intervened in the past for the same sort of behaviour, but you're right, it's important to fully understand what is happening and why.
    I believe some people are now trying to do that, and to get photo or video evidence.
    Thanks again!

Members who have read this thread: 1