Thread: Non life threatening!!! A tad aggressive.

Hybrid View

Default Non life threatening!!! A tad aggressive.

So today Tuff my boy turned a tad bit aggressive. No food involved. Noticed the teeth chattering thing right off, then he charged the cage???? So I left him for a bit to see if he would calm him down...yea that was a nope. No aggressive behavior? Opened the cage, that changed quickly. Ran up one arm down the other and bit the crap out out my finger. That won the award of going back into the cage. He was mad 😡. Any ideas? He’s about 9 weeks at this point and this is the first time I’ve seen this.

Default Re: Non life threatening!!! A tad aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff View Post
    So today Tuff my boy turned a tad bit aggressive. No food involved. Noticed the teeth chattering thing right off, then he charged the cage???? So I left him for a bit to see if he would calm him down...yea that was a nope. No aggressive behavior? Opened the cage, that changed quickly. Ran up one arm down the other and bit the crap out out my finger. That won the award of going back into the cage. He was mad 😡. Any ideas? He’s about 9 weeks at this point and this is the first time I’ve seen this.
    It sounds like a protecting stash behavior, are you giving nuts to him?
    What is his daily diet?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

His daily diet consist of fox valley formula, Henry’s blocks for snacks, and boo balls to eat because I was a dummy and made him a picky eater. No nuts except for what is in his boo balls. He eats great and I haven’t found a stash in his cage as of yet, but I did clean the cage this morning. He is currently under treatment for MBD, early stages, my fault again. He is in his first week of treatment for that.

His daily diet consist of fox valley formula, Henry’s blocks for snacks, and boo balls to eat because I was a dummy and made him a picky eater. No nuts except for what is in his boo balls. He eats great and I haven’t found a stash in his cage as of yet, but I did clean the cage this morning. He is currently under treatment for MBD, early stages, my fault again. He is in his first week of treatment for that.
    What made you determine mbd and what do you contribute the mbd to?
    Are you following the mbd protocol?
    Any nuts, including what is put in boo balls is counter productive to mbd treatment.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

I had a vet (also a rehabilitation person)look at him and with everything that described to that person it was determined that he had early MBD. I can make different boo balls without nuts not a problem. Waiting on rodent blocks to be delivered though. He is on 250 mg of calcium carbonate from Henry’s per day given in three separate doses. He isn’t doing the bunny hop anymore since treatment was started. His energy level is way up and so is his appetite. I did as recommended take the nuts out of his cage, no veggies, no fruits, strictly rodent blocks, boo balls, and formula. I did the boo balls because he wouldn’t take the formula with the calcium in it. He takes his calcium without issues at all now. What would you recommend? Yes I know I made him a picky eater by starting him on food to quickly. I didn’t feed the proper formula in the beginning either. But we are on the right track to a healthier baby.

I had a vet (also a rehabilitation person)look at him and with everything that described to that person it was determined that he had early MBD. I can make different boo balls without nuts not a problem. Waiting on rodent blocks to be delivered though. He is on 250 mg of calcium carbonate from Henry’s per day given in three separate doses. He isn’t doing the bunny hop anymore since treatment was started. His energy level is way up and so is his appetite. I did as recommended take the nuts out of his cage, no veggies, no fruits, strictly rodent blocks, boo balls, and formula. I did the boo balls because he wouldn’t take the formula with the calcium in it. He takes his calcium without issues at all now. What would you recommend? Yes I know I made him a picky eater by starting him on food to quickly. I didn’t feed the proper formula in the beginning either. But we are on the right track to a healthier baby.
    Sometimes they can just be territorial over their space but I'd have to say his behavior is saying he's pissed about something.
    They also can react aggressively over changes in smells such as new soap, detergent, air fresheners, colones, perfumes, hand lotions, etc.
    When you get the chance I would still thoroughly go through his cage and nest box, cubby or whatever to see if there is anything stashed.
    I have a 10 year old that eats snap peas and stashes the dried out skins, she don't eat them but will rip your head off to protect them!
    She has an open cage and free run but still very protective of her space, she still chatters at me a lot and even rushes at the bars whenever
    I approach her cage / space. Even when I'm just passing in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom! She will attack (or try to) when I
    check out or clean her nest box or cubby.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Buddy (01-14-2021)