Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My squirrel suddenly is lethargic, aggressive-avoidant, and constantly squeaking

Default Re: My squirrel suddenly is lethargic, aggressive-avoidant, and constantly squeaking

Quote Originally Posted by Bejo227 View Post

About his behavior: he was quite docile, though became aggressive and avoidant if someone got closer. An hour after his medicine, he became frantic as if he's in pain: running around, writhing, squeaking, rolling around. Sometimes he stops but then continues again.
    Did he manifest any of these behaviors prior to be giving the items from the vet?

Default Re: My squirrel suddenly is lethargic, aggressive-avoidant, and constantly squeaking

About his diet: based on the view response here, I started to get suspicious with MBD, as now he's trying to climb, but his behind legs are just hung, almost like a limp.
    The video quality is more than adequate. Thank you.

Dragging the hind legs supports the MBD diagnosis. He seems to drag the hind legs toward the end of the video.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (01-12-2021)

About his diet: based on the view response here, I started to get suspicious with MBD, as now he's trying to climb, but his
    behind legs are just hung, almost like a limp.
    Absolutely mbd!
    This is the progression of mbd and it's very serious!
    It is very possible the "frantic" behavior you are seeing is seizure activity.
    He needs calcium now, and he needs pain management!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Buddy (01-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    If that is his response to the meds you were given by the vet, they may well have increased the distress. If there is a direct correlation between the meds and supplements being given and his current behavior I would be inclined to discontinue them.

Do they sell Tums where you live?

Or just plain calcium carbonate tablets with no other vitamins added?
    Thank you for the response. I suppose it's related. Currently waiting for the half-time of the meds to see if there's any changes in his symptoms as the meds clear up his system. Unfortunately no Tums in Indonesia. My brother just looked up for the tablets to some pharmacies, but to no avail.

Did he manifest any of these behaviors prior to be giving the items from the vet?
    He did writhing or perhaps squeaking as I wrote the first time, but to a way lesser degree and frequency. But not with his frantic behavior. As I wrote this right now, he still does the same without any rest period. I turned off the light, he still acts the same

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Absolutely mbd!
    This is the progression of mbd and it's very serious!
    It is very possible the "frantic" behavior you are seeing is seizure activity.
    He needs calcium now, and he needs pain management!
    Thank you for the response! OMG seizure! 😭 I never thought that this is seizure! Unfortunately I couldn't find calcium tablet around as it's midnight and due to covid, only few pharmacies are still open but I couldn't find any tablets there.

I do have some pain meds around: paracetamol and sodium diclofenac but I don't know the dosage or how to administer it as he's unable to be handled now

I believe there is a recipe for making an MBD treatment from egg shells.

I will see if I can find it.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (01-12-2021)

I believe there is a recipe for making an MBD treatment from egg shells.

I will see if I can find it.
    OMG thank you so much. I do have some eggs laying around. I hope it works

https://tiphero.com/eggshell-calcium-powder

Yes, the eggs are a natural source of calcium carbonate and have other minerals incorporated as well.

https://henryspets.com/emergency-treatment-for-mbd/ These are directions for giving the squirrel emergency calcium.

The site with the recipe for making the calcium from egg shells says that one half of one teaspoon should contain approximately 400 mg of calcium which is important to know in order to give the proper amounts.

Do you have rough idea of your squirrel's weight in grams?

OMG thank you so much. I do have some eggs laying around. I hope it works
    It should work just fine if crushed down into a fine powder, once the prior steps outlined in the link are carried out.

Post the strength of any pain meds you have and the approx. weight of your squirrel. Can you get any infant or children’s liquid ibuprofen there? If so, get some and post the strength of what you have. Someone on here can help you break it down and dose it for you.

Time is critical here for giving him the calcium, so please administer some as soon as possible.

A heating pad set on low and set underneath half of his travel cage would be helpful. The heat is soothing for the pain he’s feeling.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Rock Monkey (01-12-2021), stepnstone (01-12-2021)

I do have some pain meds around: paracetamol and sodium diclofenac but I don't know the dosage or how to administer it as he's unable to be handled now
    I would suggest sending Stepnstone a PM (personal message) for proper dosing and directions on how to administer. You will need to provide the squirrel's approximate current weight.

https://tiphero.com/eggshell-calcium-powder

Yes, the eggs are a natural source of calcium carbonate and have other minerals incorporated as well.
    Thank you so so much. Going straight to the kitchen. Thank you!

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Bejo227 from:

Rock Monkey (01-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Post the strength of any pain meds you have and the approx. weight of your squirrel. Can you get any infant or children’s liquid ibuprofen there? If so, get some and post the strength of what you have. Someone on here can help you break it down and dose it for you.

Time is critical here for giving him the calcium, so please administer some as soon as possible.

A heating pad set on low and set underneath half of his travel cage would be helpful. The heat is soothing for the pain he’s feeling.
    As I am writing this now, I am making the eggshell powder as fast as I can.

It's paracetamol 500mg and sodium diclofenac, 50mg. There's no kid in my house, so no liquid ibuprofen

Thank you so much for your kindness

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Bejo227 from:

Rock Monkey (01-12-2021)

I would suggest sending Stepnstone a PM (personal message) for proper dosing and directions on how to administer. You will need to provide the squirrel's approximate current weight.
    I will. He's around 250-300 gr, perhaps

It's paracetamol 500mg and sodium diclofenac, 50mg
    I would not use Paracetamol, it is Tylenol, never recommended for squirrels.

Diclofenac is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) - ibuprofen and naproxen also belong to this group of painkillers.
    It is an extended release tablet and considered more potent than ibuprofen.
    I will have to do some consulting for information as to how to breakdown this med for the proper dosing for a squirrel
    IF advisable. As soon as I have any info I'll get back to you.
    Last edited by stepnstone; 01-12-2021 at 04:55 PM. Reason: spl
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Mel1959 (01-12-2021), Rock Monkey (01-12-2021)

I would not use Paracetamol, it is Tylenol, never recommended for squirrels.

Diclofenac is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) - ibuprofen and naproxen also belong to this group of painkillers.
    It is an extended release tablet and considered more potent than ibuprofen.
    I will have to do some consulting for information as to how to breakdown this med for the proper dosing for a squirrel
    IF advisable. As soon as I have any info I'll get back to you.

I will send you dosing instructions in a private message. (Tsb does not dose on open board)
    Last edited by stepnstone; 01-12-2021 at 04:57 PM. Reason: spl
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Buddy (01-12-2021), Mel1959 (01-12-2021)

I will send you dosing instructions in a private message. (Tsb does not dose on open board)
    Thank you so much for your kindness

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12