Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I bring him inside??

Default Re: Should I bring him inside??

That's what I was thinking too. Ice cold flask...
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Quote Originally Posted by jessijuju View Post
    Thank you! Unfortunately its cloudy and we have a wind advisory. Right now it is 0° / feels like -13° 🥶

I didnt see Runt this morning. Hopefully she is just stayn in bed to keep warm. The reds were out though. I might have to climb up tree to her drey with a blanket, heater & bedtime story. Maybe a little hot cocoa too. Lol
    Yes, hopefully, she is bundled up and staying warm!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Once the flask cools down though, will it have the opposite effect and be like putting an ice pack in there?
    So my husband actually does this when snow camping. Covers a 1 qt plastic bottle with a sock then wraps it in a couple shirts and it lasts through the night. He says it would take way too much energy to freeze if wrapped, just get it before 8 hrs or so.

Just wanted to give an update... Runt has been only coming to us once a day. Probably to stay warm, although she does come out onto her porch (the branch by her drey) and cleans herself, looks down at us whistling for her, ignores us and cleans herself some more, and then goes back home. This morning she took 3 nuts to bury. She didnt want any paper towels. She always seems warm & fuzzy when we see her so i guess shes doin ok. It snowed again today. Id say we have at least 4" total. The forecast is about to get even more extreme. Sunday's HI is -3° with 11 mph winds. I hope the best & pray for every animal fighting to survive in this harsh weather.
    Name:  Screenshot_20210210-233112_WeatherBug.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  56.7 KB

Oh ya, i almost forgot... yesterday morning Runt was on her porch, but by the time i got bundled up and over there, she had went back to bed. I was whistling trying to call her back out, and looked up higher in her tree and there sat a hawk. I scared it away, but its not the first time ive seen it around, so itll be back. Does anyone have any advice on how to keep them away?
    The neighbor has a bird feeder, so birds are everywhere. Im sure that doesnt help to keep it away. There is even a couple little birds that follow me around to steal a piece of nut if they get a chance. There is one that will even take food out of my hand if I hold it out.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to jessijuju from:

Buddy (02-11-2021)

To deter hawks you can hang shiny CD’s from fishing line. Hang them on tree limbs or other places the wind will blow them. I also buy whirligigs from the dollar store and set them around my yard and secure them to the fence posts. You can get children’s cheerleader pom pons that are made from tinsel with a handle at the dollar store as well. Anything shiny that moves is good.

I’ve also read that if you take a large round piece of wood, paint it white and paint two black round eyes on it, it is unsettling to hawks. Moving it around your yard keeps the hawk on its guard.

As for getting them to move on once they’ve landed, an air horn aimed directly at them sends a sound wave they can feel. A super soaker water cannon will shoot a 20ft stream, which might reach him in the tree, until he’s wise enough to stay further up in the tree and out of range.

I hate hawks!

7. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (02-11-2021), jessijuju (02-11-2021), Scooterzmom (02-11-2021), sundoesshine (02-11-2021)

That's great to hear that Runt is doing well and seems warm!

Yes, sending prayers for warmer/comfortable weather, lots of sunshine to get Vitamin D and enjoy and full belly of nutritious food for our little fuzz balls and for all animals.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

jessijuju (02-11-2021)

I threw a rock in the direction of a hawk one day to scare it off. I swear the next several times when he saw me just standing at my sliding glass door, he immediately flew away even though he was in a tree much farther away. Really surprised me.

Of course, to get rid of hawks you can always do what I did - the very next day we had moved into the new house and neighbourhood.

Like Sophia said in the Golden girls: Picture it... little country town in western Quebec...

8AM, just when people are leaving for work... You spot a hawk in your forested backyard. You run outside, bedhead and all, grey hair all tangled and down to middle of you back, old bathrobe, and a broom stick in your hand. Neighbors gawking at you, doing a double take, slowing down as they drive by, you run all over the yard, arms flailing, yelling and screaming Kwahh Kwahh as you wave the broomstick.

Well, yes... it did scare the hawk away, but the best thing? I guess I also scared the neighbors enough that since then they never did come over to bother me.

Praying that little Runt is still doing fine and managing to stay warm.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

12. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scooterzmom:

Buddy (02-28-2021), jessijuju (02-11-2021), Mel1959 (02-12-2021), sundoesshine (02-12-2021)

The good news: Runt survived the cold!
    Id say we got over a foot of snow total. But its finally supposed to get above freezing tomorrow and be 50° Tuesday.
    The bad news: She wont come to us anymore.
    She runs home as soon as she sees me. And if we are able to get close enough, then she will attack our hand if we try to give her a nut.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to jessijuju:

Buddy (02-19-2021), Scooterzmom (02-20-2021)

That's awesome to hear! Good job Runt!

I'm sure it's not a fuzzy feeling that she is not coming to you; but you should feel good, amazing really that you helped them and now they are happy and healthy, and wild (as they are meant to be) and living freely, enjoying the squirrel life fully!

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Buddy:

jessijuju (02-19-2021), sundoesshine (02-28-2021)

The good news: Runt survived the cold!
    Id say we got over a foot of snow total. But its finally supposed to get above freezing tomorrow and be 50° Tuesday.
    The bad news: She wont come to us anymore.
    She runs home as soon as she sees me. And if we are able to get close enough, then she will attack our hand if we try to give her a nut.
    So I think Runt was mad about being stuck at home for over a week in the freezing cold and snow cuz she has now cheered up a bit. She actually came running towards me yesterday when she seen me (i know its just cuz she wanted a nut, but it still gives me that warm fuzzy feeling 🥰 ) Id like to say that Spring is officially here but you never know with Missouri weather. Blizzard & severely cold temps a couple wks ago and 50's this week... crazy!

Way to go Runt! I hope she sticks around and you can keep an eye on her and give her treats!

So I think Runt was mad about being stuck at home for over a week in the freezing cold and snow cuz she has now cheered up a bit. She actually came running towards me yesterday when she seen me (i know its just cuz she wanted a nut, but it still gives me that warm fuzzy feeling 🥰 ) Id like to say that Spring is officially here but you never know with Missouri weather. Blizzard & severely cold temps a couple wks ago and 50's this week... crazy!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Buddy (02-28-2021), jessijuju (02-28-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12