Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need verification: Squirrel with suspected odontoma

Exclamation Need verification: Squirrel with suspected odontoma

Last seen outdoor squirrel 6-7 days ago and everything was apparently normal. Today I see the squirrel with swollen head, white tears, unable to eat, unable to open mouth to grab food to burry apparently, lethargic, hiding under cars/hidden spaces, eyes unable to open halfway, sort of drooling a bit, sinus issues with constant rubbing of nose with paws, drinks a bit of water.

I will include pics of the squirrel. Todo, dont know how to attach image currently on mobile

Can someone who recognizes what this squirrel is going through respond back to me? I don’t know what to do, I’ve known this squirrel for at least a year and in just 1 week she went from being normal to what I described above.

She also mated a month ago.

Default Re: Need verification: Squirrel with suspected odontoma

There is no body damage or any blood anywhere on the squirrel's body.

Exclamation Re: Need verification: Squirrel with suspected odontoma

This is the link to images of the squirrel, I can try to get more specific images if needed.

Sorry if this seems emotionless, I just don't know what to do and I'm shaking and terrified of this squirrel I've known for so long.

This is the link to the images: https://www.icloud.com/photos/#0ZTjj...iFR5JUavq1hcOw

It's night and the squirrel climbed up the tree very slowly and kind of struggling. She was doing mini slow jumps to grip onto the tree all the way up.

I will try and wrap and grab the squirrel to see her undersides and take some images tomorrow/next time I see her.

It could have gotten into some poison. It could have fallen and have internal injuries. The white tears indicate pain. You should definitely catch it and get it to a rehabber. I. The condition it’s in right now it is easy prey for a predator.

Make sure you have a plan on where you’re going to put it once you catch it. A dog carrier or some other type cage will work.

We don’t have many members in California, but if you give us an idea of the part of California we might be able to find someone to help.

Thank you for looking out for her/him.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (01-09-2021), Christopner (01-08-2021)

These are the live images in video format:

https://kapwi.ng/c/Mvz7wcIw

Thank you for replying!!

I made a video on the live images I got but it doesn't show much beyond what the still images show.
    Her head is so swollen, it's heartbreaking could it really be poison? From all sides except her belly side there is no noticeable visible injury/puncture/blood stain. Her eyes can't open beyond what is seen in the images/video.

I am in southern california, los angeles, near the san gabriel valley and pasadena area.

There is that white spot on the forehead, I don't think it was normally there before. I could be mistaking it for something harmless but not sure.

The swelling is in his jaw area, though I can't be sure, is likely from an abscess from the looks of it. With this time of year the spot on the forehead could be from mange. Can't eat, making him susceptible to mange is my first thoughts from the photos. He needs an intervention or he very likely won't make it. Sorry to say that vets won't see wilds save it is through a rehabber or you go to a known clinic that treats wildlife. If you happen t be in my area in Calif. I can recommend a rehabber for treatment. I can at least offer method that has worked well in the past to capture a squirrel that is ill, or injured.

I will send you a PM please respond to let me know if you are in my general area. Diggie's Friend

13. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Buddy (01-09-2021), Christopner (01-08-2021), Mel1959 (01-09-2021)

Thank you for replying Diggie's friend, I have PM'd you.

From your mention of abscess, I have done a bit of googling/reading it seems like it could be related to teeth abscess; lots of swelling of jaw/eyes area (and maybe a bit of her neck?).

To anyone: any advice for capturing? She's mostly docile whenever I'm with and feeding her; known for over a year without ever more than 4-5 days of not seeing/feeding her.

I was just planning to slowly approach with a large fluffy blanket and wrap it, while wearing latex gloves? not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopner View Post
    Thank you for replying Diggie's friend, I have PM'd you.

From your mention of abscess, I have done a bit of googling/reading it seems like it could be related to teeth abscess; lots of swelling of jaw/eyes area (and maybe a bit of her neck?).

To anyone: any advice for capturing? She's mostly docile whenever I'm with and feeding her; known for over a year without ever more than 4-5 days of not seeing/feeding her.

I was just planning to slowly approach with a large fluffy blanket and wrap it, while wearing latex gloves? not sure.
    How heart breaking!! Thank you for caring for this beautiful lil Fox Squirrel. Please make sure to protect your hands.. Their nails are sharp even when they love you.

Ty for caring, it's very heartbreaking for me too =(

Bundle up. Leave as little skin exposed as possible. I would suggest safety glasses to protect your eyes. They can move very quickly when scared and speed requires friction and friction requires claws.

The more calm, the more relaxed you are, the more calm and relaxed he will be. Talk to him in soothing tones.

If the attempt to capture is failing, not working, back off. Otherwise you may get put in the predator category.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (01-09-2021)

You also may want to start looking around for some antibiotics. You can call friends and family to see if they have a pill or two.

If he ate some rat poison, they will be bleeding internally so be sure to put out fresh water.

If you move slowly, I would hope that it wouldn't be hard to capture.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (01-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Christopner View Post
    Ty for caring, it's very heartbreaking for me too =(
    This little girl was on my mind all night.. My husband asked first thing this morning if there was an update on her. I hope your able to catch her! Shes lucky to have found a friend in you.
    Last edited by GretleTheRed; 01-09-2021 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Lucky

So heartbreaking... Poor little thing...

Thank you for trying to help!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Christopner (01-09-2021)

Check your PM I sent you a detailed way to catch the squirrel and the source of a rehabber in your area also. Call them asap.

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Buddy (01-09-2021), Christopner (01-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Check your PM I sent you a detailed way to catch the squirrel and the source of a rehabber in your area also. Call them asap.
    Thank you; I have checked and responded.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast