Thread: Work up Advice cont.

Default Work up Advice cont.

I moved over to non-life threatening because he actually looks pretty good. I posted yesterday that a baby was coming in today, about 8 weeks old, for a check up. Per finder, he was acting “off “; hiding and shaking since a tumble Sat. He has been on Walmart kitten formula since the start as a pinkie. Then, only nuts and fruit. She thinks he was beginning to “wean” , because he wasn’t taking much formula.

So, he’s here and he looks pretty good to me. He weighs 223 g. She said he readily ate some Harlan Teklad and Henry’s Wild Bites block that I sent home with her last night before we closed. She also has started transitioning him from Walmart brand Kitten to Fox Valley . I did study the MBD thread Stepnstone recommended.

Just verifying, since he doesn’t appear to have any issues , should I still give calcium? The only thing she mentioned , but I can’t see this here , since he’s confined, is that sometimes when he walks, his lower half kind of “sits” when he walks sometimes , not all the time.

I have the Calcium Carbonate powder from Henry’s. I just didn’t know if I should give it if it’s not a definite MBD crisis?

Thanks again,
    Still have a lot to learn here !

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

Buddy (01-06-2021)

Default Re: Work up Advice cont.

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    I moved over to non-life threatening because he actually looks pretty good. I posted yesterday that a baby was coming in today, about 8 weeks old, for a check up. Per finder, he was acting “off “; hiding and shaking since a tumble Sat. He has been on Walmart kitten formula since the start as a pinkie. Then, only nuts and fruit. She thinks he was beginning to “wean” , because he wasn’t taking much formula.

So, he’s here and he looks pretty good to me. He weighs 223 g. She said he readily ate some Harlan Teklad and Henry’s Wild Bites block that I sent home with her last night before we closed. She also has started transitioning him from Walmart brand Kitten to Fox Valley . I did study the MBD thread Stepnstone recommended.

Just verifying, since he doesn’t appear to have any issues , should I still give calcium? The only thing she mentioned , but I can’t see this here , since he’s confined, is that sometimes when he walks, his lower half kind of “sits” when he walks sometimes , not all the time.

I have the Calcium Carbonate powder from Henry’s. I just didn’t know if I should give it if it’s not a definite MBD crisis?

Thanks again,
    Still have a lot to learn here !

Personally I would still recommend boosting his calcium level.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Buddy (01-06-2021), island rehabber (01-07-2021), Mel1959 (01-06-2021), Snicker Bar (01-06-2021)

Ok , will do that, thanks again for help. I’m going to encourage this person to read more here and learn the basics as he overwinters .

We are starting the Henry’s Calcium Carbonate
    at 250mg daily for two weeks and then decrease gradually.

Does anyone have a video or know where I could see one ( show one to the finder) of the “Bunny Hop “ walk that is a sign of MBD? This sounds like what she’s describing...

I just want to know how to recognize if I ever see a baby with that sign,

Unfortunately, I’ve never seen it or know where to locate that video. I always thought it was more like a dragging of the hind end.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Snicker Bar (01-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Unfortunately, I’ve never seen it or know where to locate that video. I always thought it was more like a dragging of the hind end.
    Somewhere in the bowels of tsb a member (maybe others) did post a video asking about this "hopping."
    Of course the trick is finding what or whom it could have been posted under.

I do know it can be a thing with mbd...
    My first rescue once being treated and able to move after collapsing with mbd kept her hind legs pinned
    close to her body and would do this type "bunny hop" to move around. With fearing muscle atrophy I did
    attempt to exercise her limbs but it obviously stressed her and caused her pain so I left her alone.
    I continued the mbd protocol to restore her levels, it corrected itself with time.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

island rehabber (01-07-2021)