Thread: Workup Advice Please

Default Workup Advice Please

We have another on the way today. Per finder, the baby was found end of October as a pinkie , so I’m estimating he’s about 8 weeks old? She followed internet instructions and the baby has been on a Walmart brand of kitten formula. She said he was taking up to 30 cc per day, but now is “weaning himself” and eating only nuts ( including acorns), fruit, and seeet potato....
    Sat. she said he took a fall (from table height I think) and now wants to hide and he’s shaking.

So, where do I start ??
    Of course diet needs changing..When I go home to tend my girls I will bring back Fox Valley, Ultraboost, Hentrys, Boo Balls etc.

She said he’s mobile but could this be MBD?? How do I diagnose and /or should he be treated for it regardless?
    I don’t know if I could even draw blood from something that tiny, but should I try??And run chemistries , or can we just try proper diet ?

He will be coming in this afternoon hopefully, or in he morning . I’m going to stress try to bring him today.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

Buddy (01-05-2021)

Default Re: Workup Advice Please

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    We have another on the way today. Per finder, the baby was found end of October as a pinkie , so I’m estimating he’s about 8 weeks old? She followed internet instructions and the baby has been on a Walmart brand of kitten formula. She said he was taking up to 30 cc per day, but now is “weaning himself” and eating only nuts ( including acorns), fruit, and seeet potato....
    Sat. she said he took a fall (from table height I think) and now wants to hide and he’s shaking.

So, where do I start ??
    Of course diet needs changing..When I go home to tend my girls I will bring back Fox Valley, Ultraboost, Hentrys, Boo Balls etc.

She said he’s mobile but could this be MBD?? How do I diagnose and /or should he be treated for it regardless?
    I don’t know if I could even draw blood from something that tiny, but should I try??And run chemistries , or can we just try proper diet ?

He will be coming in this afternoon hopefully, or in he morning . I’m going to stress try to bring him today.

I would allow him something for probable pain and start the mbd protocal if just out of a pre- caution.
    Hydrate the heck out of him and definitely get him back to taking (a proper) formula. I suspect the only
    reason he's starting to wean himself at this age is the nuts he's been fed. I would start him over eating
    any solids right from the beginning as we do providing block.
    Personally I'd hold off on drawing blood work, once he's under your care you will be able to evaluate his
    overall condition better.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Buddy (01-05-2021), Snicker Bar (01-05-2021)

Thank you ; I’m calling her now and asking her to bring him so we can weigh him and check him over.

I haven’t checked the “stickies”; just follow one that discusses MBD or are there any new recommendations? I’ve never treated this before , don’t want to mess him up

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

Buddy (01-05-2021)

Yes, I would also start MBD protocol just like this baby was a victim of the old esbilac. Don't know if it will stay still for xray - if not I don't think I would sedate for a bit - try what has been suggested and see how he does over the next few days.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Snicker Bar (01-05-2021)

Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Mel1959 (01-05-2021), Snicker Bar (01-05-2021)

Thank you so much! I will study that thread tonight . She was not able to bring him today, but at least was able to come by and get Fox Valley, Henry’s and HT boo balls. She will be dropping him off first thing in the morning to stay the whole day and we can weigh him and start treatments . I don’t want to stress him for x Rays unless it’s absolutely necessary ,