Thread: Release in Southern California

Default Release in Southern California

Hi All,

I have a singleton Fox Squirrel that I have had since she was about a week old, she is 21 weeks old now. I didn't want to release her too young since she is a singleton but I think it might be too late now since there are not a lot of leaves on the trees. I am in SoCal so it's really not that cold but I want to make sure she will be able to find food and make a nest. Should I wait till February to release her? She has been outside in her pre-release cage for about 3 weeks now and she has two male Fox Squirrels that visit her often. I just hate making her stay in a cage but I want to make sure she has the best chance of survival too. Also, what types of wild foods should I give her? I have given her pine cones but she doesn't do anything with them except chew on them a little bit. She is still very attached to me and will make her little muk-muk noise whenever she sees me and try to get to me. I'm trying not to go in her cage too much because she will climb on me and I don't want her doing that to my neighbors once she's free.

Thanks for any advice!

Christina
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Release in Southern California

It’s always best to have leaves on the trees to provide cover. Obviously the cold isn’t the issue here. I’d wait, especially being a singleton. It’s been my experience that the older they are when released the better they do.

Here’s a list of healthy food. It also includes wild foods. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Your little girl looks amazing! You did a great job with her.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

stepnstone (01-05-2021), VChristina (01-04-2021)

Default Re: Release in Southern California

Grey squirrels principally build nest in deciduous trees. Fox squirrels build nests in both evergreens and deciduous trees. When they build dreys they cut off limbs with the foliage still on and weave these together usually in the crotch of some limbs, then they push their way inside to form the inner chamber.

I don't know what sort of trees fox squirrels prefer where you live, but making a nest in a deciduous tree would not be an option at this time of year.

Tree hollows are generally preferred to dreys, but usually the good hollows are taken. The other option is burrowing into someone's attic, which usually isn't well received.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

VChristina (01-05-2021)