Thread: Need help, advice.... Don't know what to do

Default Need help, advice.... Don't know what to do

My Squarbee turned 10yrs old yesterday since I've had her. She is sneezing & wheezing every third breath, i live in Florida in a rural area that no vet around handles squirrels, & my car can't make a trip at this time. I realized she's old, and first let me explain she has had a fatty tumor growing on her chest for 2 years it's reached a point that's it's so large it gets in her way, still can walk, she just can't jump like she did, it never seemed to hurt her not but touch it's like a saggy large boob, but since the weather change when it got cold she stayed in her bed , then after a week or so i noticed she wasn't as active thinking she was just cold or getting old, but then 2 days ago started to sneeze it's like a runny nose but then i noticed the wheezing & it's getting worse , I don't know what i can do, i don't want her to suffer & I'm afraid even if i find a vet due her age they will euthanize her, Idk if the tumor is the cause of she got sick due to weather , If im able to get a ride I am afraid i will put her thru unessary stress that could be worse on her breathing. Please advice is she to old for help. I'm so torn. She's still eating and drinking she just having a hard time breathing, like shortness of breath.

Default Re: Need help, advice.... Don't know what to do

It sounds like your squirrel may have some sort of respiratory infection. I would suggest trying to find some antibiotics. If you don't have any on hand, call friends and family see what they have. You will only need one or two pills. Below are the antibiotics which are best suited to treat such bacterial infections.

Baytril (animal)/Cipro (human), Clavamox (animal)/Augmentin (human) are drugs that are used frequently for upper respiratory infections for squirrels.

Baytril: Enrofloxacin, A member of the fluoroquinolone class. Made by Bayer.
    Cipro (Ciloxan, Neofloxin) Ciprofloxacin, a broad-spectrum antibiotic of the fluoroquinolone class. Available as a generic.
    Clavamox: amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium.
    Augmentin: Amocxicllin/clavulanic acid.

Keep the squirrel warm. You can cuddle with her.

Once you find some antibiotics you will need to get proper dosing directions from an administrator and you will need to provide the squirrel's weight.

I know of several vets throughout the state that will see (and love) squirrels. I think you could get an unbiased opinion on what’s going on with her. One vet in particular has a profound love for squirrels and she has done many surgeries on squirrels, so she’s qualified to help with whatever may be necessary.

Please share your location in Florida and I will help.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

frankc (01-04-2021), stepnstone (01-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I know of several vets throughout the state that will see (and love) squirrels. I think you could get an unbiased opinion on what’s going on with her. One vet in particular has a profound love for squirrels and she has done many surgeries on squirrels, so she’s qualified to help with whatever may be necessary.

Please share your location in Florida and I will help.
    I live in Highlandscounty

Dr. Zellner, Avian & Animal Hospital, 727-877-1400, is relatively close in Tampa. She has seen many squirrels and also confers with a remarkable squirrel vet in Port Orange, Dr. Alicia Emerson. If you don’t mind the drive Dr. Emerson is simply amazing and one of the best squirrel vets in the country. Ravenwood Vet Clinic, 4540 S. Clyde Morris Blvd. Port Orange, 32129 386-788-1550.