Thread: Help needed

Default Help needed

Hello,
    New here, with a 3 month old female Grey rescue in need of help. Sudden onset of motor dysfunction especially in rear legs. Unable to stand. Normal urine normal feces. Weight 133 g., Brother is 172 g. Was on Esbilac till about a month ago. Eats monkey biscuits assorted veggies and occasional fruits. By sudden I mean she was holding food, happily jumping around yesterday morning by evening could not walk. Cannot think of any change to diet or routine recently. Any help very much appreciated!
    Thank You

Default Re: Help needed

Can you post pictures or videos of babies.

List their diet.

Go ahead and start baby on calcium. Such as Tums sans vit. D

Could be MBD. She could have injured fragile bones.

Keep checking back. Some one will answer. This info will help diagnosis.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

Chirps (01-04-2021), Squirrelsgotme (01-04-2021)

Yes, it could definitely be MBD. Mix tums with a little water till it’s a paste and give it to her via syringe. Here’s the MBD protocol: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-MBD-Treatment

What type of monkey biscuits are you feeding? And are they actually being eaten and not stashed?

I’m in Brevard County, too if you need help.

Do you still have the Esbilac you were feeding? I’d be interested in knowing the expiration date on the can? There was a REAL problem with Esbilac last year that caused MBD due to lack of calcium absorption.

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Chirps (01-04-2021), Squirrelsgotme (01-04-2021), stepnstone (01-04-2021)

Thank you
    What is recommended dosage of Ca? As a precaution with weight discrepancy from brother, I started on water with glucose as well. It appears I cannot post pics or video yet.
    Monkey biscuits, sweet potato, banana, broccoli. They were just weaned a few weeks ago and I am adding foods slowly. I was getting ready to start them on Henrys blocks.

11/20/21

You might have had one of the suspicious cans of Esbilac, which could explain the paralysis or injury to your girl. I believe the expiration date of good cans was 11/22 or later.

Did you read the link to the MBD protocol? First dose should be as much as you can get into her initially...roughly 100-200mg. You must read the Tums if you are giving that as your source of calcium initially. The elemental calcium is what you use to determine the amount in a wafer or two. No vitamin D in your calcium source.

She will need 500 mg a day divided into 5 small doses given throughout the day. I strongly suggest you start the boy on the same protocol.

Health food stores sell calcium carbonate powder sold under the brand NOW without added calcium. It is a powder and has no taste.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Chirps (01-04-2021), stepnstone (01-04-2021)

Weight doesn’t matter for calcium in this situation. It would only matter if it was a flyer or red squirrel compared to a gray.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    You might have had one of the suspicious cans of Esbilac, which could explain the paralysis or injury to your girl. I believe the expiration date of good cans was 11/22 or later.

Did you read the link to the MBD protocol? First dose should be as much as you can get into her initially...roughly 100-200mg. You must read the Tums if you are giving that as your source of calcium initially. The elemental calcium is what you use to determine the amount in a wafer or two. No vitamin D in your calcium source.

She will need 500 mg a day divided into 5 small doses given throughout the day. I strongly suggest you start the boy on the same protocol.

Health food stores sell calcium carbonate powder sold under the brand NOW without added calcium. It is a powder and has no taste.

Yes I read protocol. Thanks for link. I got first dose in and next doses ready to go. Boy got his too.

its been about 4 hours and no improvement. I know a video of conditions would help but I had to put her in a soft bag with a towel in fear of her hurting herself. She would lie bundled on my chest earlier and was consolable.
    Her movements seem uncontrollable now. She is now jumping spasmadically without regard to what she runs into. She lies on her side and scoots on her side.

What you’re describing sounds very odd. There is an excellent squirrel vet in Port Orange, FL. It’s an easy drive up I-95 to exit 256 to her office. Ravenwood Vet Clinic, Dr. Alicia Emerson, 386-788-1550. This could be an injury that would benefit from steroids if it’s not MBD. You should see some improvement by now with a calcium dose in her. The calcium won’t hurt them so I’d continue the protocol but I think you should call Dr. E’s office and see about getting her seen.

[QUOTE=Mel1959;1326819]What you’re describing sounds very odd. There is an excellent squirrel vet in Port Orange, FL. It’s an easy drive up I-95 to exit 256 to her office. Ravenwood Vet Clinic, Dr. Alicia Emerson, 386-788-1550. This could be an injury that would benefit from steroids if it’s not MBD. You should see some improvement by now with a calcium dose in her. The calcium won’t hurt them so I’d continue the protocol but I think you should call Dr. E’s office and see about getting her seen.[/QUOT

Thank you!

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirrelsgotme from:

Mel1959 (01-04-2021)

How’s your baby doing? Any progress?