Thread: Southern Flyer licking open wound

Default Southern Flyer licking open wound

Anyone have any tips to get a southern flyer to stop licking an open wound? She had stitches (inside) and is licking at the spot. Thank you.

Default Re: Southern Flyer licking open wound

Can you upload a photo?

How was the wound incurred? How long has it been since the injury occurred?

Is she aggravating the injury?

Are you undertaking any post surgery wound care?

She’s an indoor squirrel. She knocked a small pot off a window ledge on December 22 and we think that’s where she injured herself. Took her to ER vet where they confirmed she fractured her leg and has an open wound. They repaired the fracture and stitched the wound from the inside. She was on antibiotics and pain meds for 10 days but keeps licking the wound. Took her to an exotic vet hospital on 1- 6 (associated with our regular vet) and they put her on an anti inflammatory (Meloxicam .01 mg/12 hrs) and a Silver Sulfadiazine cream (1%. Every 12 hrs).

Name:  6D699F9D-E70D-4A2E-AD20-40D8C9ABB71E.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  58.0 KBName:  F027455B-7D27-47D2-9E0B-0287B2434236.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  93.3 KBName:  F027455B-7D27-47D2-9E0B-0287B2434236.jpg
Size:  93.3 KB

Thanks for posting the pics. They help a great deal, enabling board members to much better evaluate the situation.

Silver Sulfadiazine cream is a topical antibiotic typically prescribed for deep burn injuries. It may cause some burning and pain upon application, though that effect is said to be temporary.

There is some skin there with a nice pink color, which suggests healing. It doesn't look like the squirrel is tearing itself up, based on the photographs, but rather removing the hard scab layer. However, you would be the best one to know that. Do you think that it is exacerbating the wound?

If you want to help with the wound care you can apply a watered down Betadine solution, it should have the color of weak tea after you have added water. It shouldn't burn on application and shouldn't be harmful to the squirrel if it does lick the wound.

I have found that over time more and more objects get removed from the environment because I have learned that my grey squirrel can get to just about any point in the room, the higher the better, and they aren't afraid to fail in the attempt. I have even had her leap to the top of a door as we were walking through the doorway.

Go to the drug store and buy a bottle of Betadyne 10% povidone iodine (get the store brand if they have it - same thing, less $). Dilute it to 25 drops per 1/4 cup water. Apply it to her footie as many times a day as you can. I would just drop it from an old syringe or eye dropper right on the sore. It is a fantastic wound med - it is actually the orange stuff they swab incision sites with before surgery. It isn't sticky like creams and stuff - having things like that in their fur will make them lick and clean the area obsessively to get it off. This dries like water. My gray squirrel developed a small "hole" on his forearm - it looked like someone used a teeny melon baller on him - perfectly round. I went as far as using some of that YUK stuff (total garbage - doesn't work and burns the fur off) to no avail. bit the betadyne worked. I think between it NOT stinging, drying naturally, and probably tasting nasty, he stopped licking it and it healed in days because the betadyne is so good for that.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Mel1959 (01-09-2021)

Thank you to everyone that has helped me. I got the betadine and diluted it. She doesn’t mind this at all, so that’s a relief. I’ve been able to keep her busy, while putting the cream on the wound, to keep her from licking. Hopefully she continues to improve. I appreciate all the help. I was Worried.

You should actually only be using the betadine solution. The cream is more likely to make her want to lick it. The betadine has antibacterial properties so the cream probably isn’t necessary.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

CritterMom (01-11-2021)