Thread: Please help

Hybrid View

Default Please help

I am new to this group. I rescued a fox squirrel for the first time. It has been fine. It is on my porch and today my daughter didn't get the porch door latched and the cat went on the porch and bit the squirrel. I put antibacterial salve and the bite mark which punctured the skin but is not a bite that would kill him. He was fine after it happened but I know cats mouths are bacterial and deadly from just that. I can't get medicine anywhere. A friend has some doxycillen. What should I do. Should I wait? Will the antibiotic ointment on the bite be ok? This little squirrel im not sure its age. It rolled down the trunk of my silver maple one night and ran and sat on my dads shoe and he picked it up and put it in a blanket and it literally stopped breathing by the time I came home with a heating pad and my dad pushed on it and recessitated it and I warmed him up and he lived and I plan to release him in spring. So I really don't want him to die. Should I give doxycillen or wait?? It happened 1 hr ago

Default Re: Please help

Quote Originally Posted by Rees View Post
    I am new to this group. I rescued a fox squirrel for the first time. It has been fine. It is on my porch and today my daughter didn't get the porch door latched and the cat went on the porch and bit the squirrel. I put antibacterial salve and the bite mark which punctured the skin but is not a bite that would kill him. He was fine after it happened but I know cats mouths are bacterial and deadly from just that. I can't get medicine anywhere. A friend has some doxycillen. What should I do. Should I wait? Will the antibiotic ointment on the bite be ok? This little squirrel im not sure its age. It rolled down the trunk of my silver maple one night and ran and sat on my dads shoe and he picked it up and put it in a blanket and it literally stopped breathing by the time I came home with a heating pad and my dad pushed on it and recessitated it and I warmed him up and he lived and I plan to release him in spring. So I really don't want him to die. Should I give doxycillen or wait?? It happened 1 hr ago
    Yes, he does need a course of ab's due to the cat.
    Doxy can be used as long as it's not expired, it's a med that changes

composition once expired and should not be used beyond expiration.

We need to know expiration date - what (form) it's in and the milligrams.
    Also a weight on the squirrel preferably in grams, meds are dosed according to body weight.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Buddy (01-03-2021), Mel1959 (01-03-2021), TubeDriver (01-03-2021)