Thread: Need a squirrel buddy or new home for recovering 4 mo old with MBD (So Cal)

Penelope Pitstop Guest

Default Need a squirrel buddy or new home for recovering 4 mo old with MBD (So Cal)

Hey all,
    I have a 4 mo old red fox squirrel (Daisy) that has severe MBD. I'm not sure how Daisy got MBD since she had it when she was found. Her back legs didn't work at all in the beginning. Long story short, I have been working with a vet. Daisy has had several x-rays and has been on Henrys blocks, high calcium foods, calcium supplement, and a UV light for two months. She is doing remarkably well. She bucks her back legs out and shows daily improvement. But she is still not walking on her back legs. She's is currently in a double Critter Nation cage and she can climb like crazy.

I understand she needs at least two more months of her strict calcium regimen to know if she will be releasable.
    She needs a buddy. I do what I can, but she really needs a squirrel buddy. I would be happy to pass her along to the right person. I prefer a person that has a buddy squirrel, access to a vet, a commitment to at least two more months of the calcium regimen, and a plan to help find a permanent home if she ends up non releasable. I can help with expenses. I would love follow up pics.

She's a sweetheart with just the right amount of zany.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Penelope Pitstop; 12-31-2020 at 02:32 PM. Reason: add photo

Default Re: Need a squirrel buddy or new home for recovering 4 mo old with MBD (So Cal)

I’m glad to hear Penelope is improving, but sorry to tell you we have very few members in Southern California. You might reach out to a member in a private message and see if they know of anyone. You can access private messages from the “notifications” heading. The member you want to send to is Diggies Friend. Best of luck.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (01-12-2021), Diggie's Friend (01-11-2021)

Penelope Pitstop Guest

Default Re: Need a squirrel buddy or new home for recovering 4 mo old with MBD (So Cal)

Thank you so much!

I think you need to think twice about the "buddy" part. There is no guarantee that two squirrels will get along at ALL, and given that she is already disadvantaged, it worries me that she could get bullied or even worse.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Buddy (01-12-2021), Diggie's Friend (01-11-2021), stepnstone (01-11-2021)

Penelope Pitstop Guest

Thank you Critter Mom. I will proceed carefully if the opportunity presents itself.

I tried putting a juvenile with an adult foxer years ago; at first it seemed ok, then without warning the older female nip the younger that ran off. In a few months I tried it again, but this time covered the vulnerable parts; yet the female calmly climbed up my arm and chomped down on my finger intending to injury the younger squirrel. You see they see other squirrels as competition for food and that is cause enough for them to attack the other squirrel. So please don't attempt it, EVER!

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Buddy (01-12-2021)

Members who have read this thread: 1