Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel with mange is struggling

Default Re: Squirrel with mange is struggling

Quote Originally Posted by Geri View Post
    I would be interested in knowing more about giving it orally. Thank you for letting me know!
    Revolution can be given orally in the same manner by lacing a nut with the usural (1-2 drops) that one would normally
    place between the shoulders.
    The problem is Revolution is Rx and unless one has vet that would give a script it's difficult to acquire.
    It can be purchased on line from: https://www.joespetmeds.com/item/stronghold-flea
    It is Revolution sold under the name Stronghold, the company either ships out of Australia or the UK.

I actually prefer Revolution as it covers more unusual mite types then the Ivermectin, and it's safer as far as overdosing.
    The real plus on being able to give Revolution orally is all the wilds I've been able to treat throughout the years without
    disrupting their routine. I will say there was one bald baby much like yours that appeared in the cold months. I caught,
    held and supported her in a pre- release cage while I treated her mange. I released her once she had a full coat.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Chirps (12-26-2020), Geri (12-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Revolution can be given orally in the same manner by lacing a nut with the usural (1-2 drops) that one would normally
    The problem is Revolution is Rx and unless one has vet that would give a script it's difficult to acquire.
    It can be purchased on line from: https://www.joespetmeds.com/item/stronghold-flea
    It is Revolution sold under the name Stronghold, the company either ships out of Australia or the UK.

I actually prefer Revolution as it covers more unusual mite types then the Ivermectin, and it's safer as far as overdosing.
    The real plus on being able to give Revolution orally is all the wilds I've been able to treat throughout the years without
    disrupting their routine. I will say there was one bald baby much like yours that appeared in the cold months. I caught,
    held and supported her in a pre- release cage while I treated her mange. I released her once she had a full coat.
    Thank you for the information on Revolution/Stronghold! I'll definitely keep that in mind if I can't get some improvement with the Ivermectin.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Yes, the topic of the ideal nest material has no universal agreement. Most materials seem to have pro and cons.

My squirrel is a paper thief. She has access to a pile of dry leaves. However, I have never seen her take any leaves to any of the various nests that she has created throughout the house.

My recommendation is to choose paper which does not create a lot of fibers when torn or agitated, as these will cause a pulmonary irritant. Tissues and toilet paper tend to be dusty. In order to find out which is which, tear some of the paper that you are thinking to put out, doing so when the sun is streaming in. Then you can see how much dust is created.

In the vicinity of where you are putting out the food, put some paper and some dry leaves, if you can find them, on something raised off the ground to prevent them from sponging up moisture and rig some safe, ad hoc cover to prevent them from getting wet from above. You also might see if she has any interest an old sock that is close to being thrown out.

See which items, if any, she takes. If she takes some, keep putting out more until she stops.

If she remains well fed and is able to stay warm, her body should be able to fight off the mange, especially with a little medicinal boost.

Beware that the new Revolution Plus has a new, second active ingredient. This new version has not been widely used on squirrels, so it is unknown if this second ingredient will cause adverse effects. There are now generic version of the original Revolution with just the single, original active ingredient which has been demonstrated to be safe for use on wild squirrels.
    Thank you for all the suggestions on bedding! Today (after asking the neighbors who have the tree she's living in) we put out a cardboard box, with a piece of heavy black plastic in the bottom and up the sides and filled it with dry leaves - which fortunately we have plenty of, and we put it at the base of the tree. I'll put out paper towels tomorrow - what size should I use? Just rip off sheets (I think the rolls I have are 1/2 sheets)? Wad them up? Or should I cut them in smaller pieces? Your sock suggestion - any kind of material? Or should I hold out for a wool sock? There's the saying "cotton is rotten" in terms of winter insulation, so should I avoid putting out anything cotton?

We'll give her the 3rd dose of Ivermectin on Monday, and she's definitely well fed :-) We keep a pretty constant surveillance for her throughout the day, and rush out to feed her when we see her. And we feed her until she's full and either starts burying nuts, or, in this frigid weather, runs for home. So now if I can work on ways to help keep her warm, that would be good.

Good to know about Revolution Plus - I'll keep that in mind if I need to go that route.

Lastly thank you for your encouraging words that she might get through this yet. That gives me hope. I've gotten attached to her...

Thank you for the information on where to get Revolution and how to give it orally. If I don't see some results after the 3rd dose of Ivermectin, it'll be good to have an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    Just seeing this. Poor baby, getting into a Michigan winter without proper clothes! Thank you for helping her. Another bedding option if you can get it is wool. Even with all the high-tech synthetics out there, outdoorspeople still come back to wool. It's the only material that still insulates even when wet. If you're concerned about fiber length I guess you can cut it shorter.
    Thank you for this suggestion! We put out a box with dry leaves today - I think I'll toss in a wool sock tomorrow and see if it disappears. I would think if it's a sock in good condition I won't have to worry about her, or another squirrel, getting tangled in fibers? Unless squirrels are prone to "customizing" their bedding by shredding it?

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    Yes Revolution can be put on a nut. I take a pecan put Just one drop let it soak in for awhile and then give to your squirrel 👍
    Thank you for the dosage information! I'll do this if I don't see any progress with the Ivermectin.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyPops View Post
    Here is a post copied from Specific Ailment Information

"Revolution is Selamectin which is the same active ingredient in Stronghold. You can use just a drop on the back of the neck or even give a drop orally (like on a nut)."

Someone else will have to dose it.

As far as bedding material, if you can round up any fallen, dry leaves and place them near where your baby has easy access to them he/she can decide if they are needed.
    Thank you for the suggestion of making dry leaves available - I did that today. A silver lining to not being able to fit all the leaves into the compost pile yet, so they're sitting in covered trash cans :-)

Thank you for the information on where to get Revolution and how to give it orally. If I don't see some results after the 3rd dose of Ivermectin, it'll be good to have an alternative.
    I just looked back on the time frame of the little bald boy I had taken in treated and released.
    It took all of two months to regrow his fur. He was taken in on March 2nd, released fully furred May 8th.

Ivermectin can work but there have been others that resorted to Revolution's broader coverage when
    they were not seeing expected results. Results may very well have to do with type of mite involved.
    "Ivermectin is used to rid animals and humans of many internal and external (blood sucking) parasites.
    Lice and hair mites which do not ingest the blood of the host are not affected by Ivermectin administered
    orally or by injection."
    If you were to consider ordering Revolution from Joe's order early as due to location it can take up to
    two weeks for an order to come in.

Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

I've always used Revolution. I had a mange wild that fortunately he took the nut with Revolution. I treated him first week, 2 weeks later again. By the following 2 weeks I almost didn't recognize him as his fur was almost all grown back so he was done with treatments.
    If he still had issues I would have given him a third dose in 2 week increments 👍

Not sure if you switch from Ivermectin to Revolution how long you have to wait, maybe just the 2 weeks?
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

Geri (12-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    I've always used Revolution. I had a mange wild that fortunately he took the nut with Revolution. I treated him first week, 2 weeks later again. By the following 2 weeks I almost didn't recognize him as his fur was almost all grown back so he was done with treatments.
    If he still had issues I would have given him a third dose in 2 week increments 👍

Not sure if you switch from Ivermectin to Revolution how long you have to wait, maybe just the 2 weeks?
    CC, you need to change your dosing regimen.

Ivermectin is dosed every 7-10 days because it ONLY killed adult mites, not any eggs they may have laid. 7-10 days gives those eggs time to hatch so those mites can be killed off, too.

Revolution is dosed every 30 days, regardless of whether you are doing it as a spot on or dosing orally, because Revolution kills both adults AND eggs. Normally you won't need a second dose at all (unless after the Revolution wears off the animal re-infects itself from nesting materials, etc.)

13. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Geri (12-27-2020), island rehabber (12-27-2020), RockyPops (12-27-2020)

I just looked back on the time frame of the little bald boy I had taken in treated and released.
    It took all of two months to regrow his fur. He was taken in on March 2nd, released fully furred May 8th.

Ivermectin can work but there have been others that resorted to Revolution's broader coverage when
    they were not seeing expected results. Results may very well have to do with type of mite involved.
    "Ivermectin is used to rid animals and humans of many internal and external (blood sucking) parasites.
    Lice and hair mites which do not ingest the blood of the host are not affected by Ivermectin administered
    orally or by injection."
    If you were to consider ordering Revolution from Joe's order early as due to location it can take up to
    two weeks for an order to come in.

Thank you for your reply! I'm going to go ahead and order the Stronghold. Will it be affected during mailing by freezing temps?

Should I get it for "puppies and kittens up to 5 lbs"?

What pack size? How many treatments are in one pack?

How long should I wait after the 3rd Ivermectin dose before trying Stronghold?

Thank you!

Thank you for all the suggestions on bedding! Today (after asking the neighbors who have the tree she's living in) we put out a cardboard box, with a piece of heavy black plastic in the bottom and up the sides and filled it with dry leaves - which fortunately we have plenty of, and we put it at the base of the tree. I'll put out paper towels tomorrow - what size should I use? Just rip off sheets (I think the rolls I have are 1/2 sheets)? Wad them up? Or should I cut them in smaller pieces? Your sock suggestion - any kind of material? Or should I hold out for a wool sock? There's the saying "cotton is rotten" in terms of winter insulation, so should I avoid putting out anything cotton?
    I would rip the paper towels into quarter sheets and see how she manages. If it is too big they may be able to wad it up completely and can trip on the paper towel as they climb the tree.

I would say definitely put out some paper products and see what she likes, if any. You can also try plain brown wrapping paper but I think they will prefer paper towel or sturdy paper napkins.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Geri (12-28-2020)

Thank you for your reply! I'm going to go ahead and order the Stronghold. Will it be affected during mailing by freezing temps?

Should I get it for "puppies and kittens up to 5 lbs"?

What pack size? How many treatments are in one pack?

How long should I wait after the 3rd Ivermectin dose before trying Stronghold?

Thank you!
    https://www.joespetmeds.com/item/stronghold-flea
    Cats up to 15 lbs or puppies and kittens up to 5 lbs, same price, same med.
    One just has more in it then the other, don't matter you'll only be using 1-2 drops per treatment.
    Get the one that's going to give you more for your money, cats up to 15 lbs.
    Smallest pack offered has 3 pipettes, you will only need to open one for a single squirrel.
    You can store the other two. I would give it 10-14 days after having used the Ivermectin.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Revolution is dosed every 30 days, regardless of whether you are doing it as a spot on or dosing orally, because Revolution kills both adults AND eggs. Normally you won't need a second dose at all (unless after the Revolution wears off the animal re-infects itself from nesting materials, etc.)
    with explanation....
    For control /maintenance of parasites /fleas, Revolution is applied once a month.
    A veterinarian usually will recommend a second administration for infestation of mites.
    My Veterinarian recommends a 10 day interval between treatments up to 3X if necessary.
    Last edited by stepnstone; 12-27-2020 at 11:49 PM.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Geri (12-28-2020)

I would rip the paper towels into quarter sheets and see how she manages. If it is too big they may be able to wad it up completely and can trip on the paper towel as they climb the tree.

I would say definitely put out some paper products and see what she likes, if any. You can also try plain brown wrapping paper but I think they will prefer paper towel or sturdy paper napkins.
    Thank you for your response and patience with my questions! I haven't put out any paper yet - I'll try tomorrow. I've been putting out a box of dry leaves, and then taking it in when it looks like it's going to snow/rain, and I'll continue with that. But I'll add in some paper towels, too. Would running them through a paper shredder make sense? Or is that too small?

https://www.joespetmeds.com/item/stronghold-flea
    Cats up to 15 lbs or puppies and kittens up to 5 lbs, same price, same med.
    One just has more in it then the other, don't matter you'll only be using 1-2 drops per treatment.
    Get the one that's going to give you more for your money, cats up to 15 lbs.
    Smallest pack offered has 3 pipettes, you will only need to open one for a single squirrel.
    You can store the other two. I would give it 10-14 days after having used the Ivermectin.

with explanation....
    For control /maintenance of parasites /fleas, Revolution is applied once a month.
    A veterinarian usually will recommend a second administration for infestation of mites.
    My Veterinarian recommends a 10 day interval between treatments up to 3X if necessary.
    Thank you for taking the time to give me the details on the Stronghold! I'll get this ordered. The website is a little finicky - at least on my browser - hard to get it to open up the dropdown boxes for breed and pack size, but I'll keep trying. It will be good to have another alternative if needed. Gave the 3rd dose of Ivermectin today...

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Geri from:

TubeDriver (12-29-2020)

Thank you for taking the time to give me the details on the Stronghold! I'll get this ordered. The website is a little finicky - at least on my browser - hard to get it to open up the dropdown boxes for breed and pack size, but I'll keep trying. It will be good to have another alternative if needed. Gave the 3rd dose of Ivermectin today...
    I had the same problem but figured it out...
    The arrows
    ( V ) are deceiving, you have to click on the wording.

Size of Breed
    select

Pack Size select

Quantity
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Geri (12-29-2020), TubeDriver (12-29-2020)

I had the same problem but figured it out...
    The arrows
    ( V ) are deceiving, you have to click on the wording.

Size of Breed
    select

Pack Size select

Quantity
    Yes - I was trying to use the arrows - very frustrating. Thank you for letting me know it's the wording that I needed to click on :-) I have it ordered now. Thank you, too, for giving me the detail of exactly what to order.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Geri from:

stepnstone (12-29-2020)

Thank you for your response and patience with my questions! I haven't put out any paper yet - I'll try tomorrow. I've been putting out a box of dry leaves, and then taking it in when it looks like it's going to snow/rain, and I'll continue with that. But I'll add in some paper towels, too. Would running them through a paper shredder make sense? Or is that too small?
    They put a part of the piece in their mouth and then use their front paws to fold it up and jam each of the folds in their mouth.

Paper shredder would be too small. She'll shred it in the nest if she wants to. Try tearing the paper into 4-5" squares. If the pieces are too big she won't be able to wad it up completely and may trip on it as she climbs back up the tree. I think you will find her far more interested in the paper than the leaves.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Geri (12-30-2020)

I give tissues and not paper towels. I think they are much easier to cram into their mouths to carry and they’re definitely softer.

If you could stand your box on edge so that what’s inside isn’t exposed to the elements but still accessible it would make it easier for you to put stuff out for her without worry about snow or rain.

I had an old wool Army blanket that I cut into squares and it was used. Wool would probably be well liked because of its warming capabilities.

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Geri (12-30-2020)

They put a part of the piece in their mouth and then use their front paws to fold it up and jam each of the folds in their mouth.

Paper shredder would be too small. She'll shred it in the nest if she wants to. Try tearing the paper into 4-5" squares. If the pieces are too big she won't be able to wad it up completely and may trip on it as she climbs back up the tree. I think you will find her far more interested in the paper than the leaves.
    Thank you for the additional information about the size of the paper towel pieces Rainy today, but I'll put some out as soon as we have a dry day.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast