Thread: Squirrel with mange is struggling

Hybrid View

Default Squirrel with mange is struggling

Hi, all!

I'm new to the SquirrelBoard. I live in Michigan and am trying to help a backyard wild squirrel through what I believe is mange. I gave her/him the 1st dose of Ivermectin on Monday, Dec. 14, 2020, and the second dose on Monday, Dec. 21, 2020. Tried to be very careful with the dose - descriptions of the recommended amount vary from source to source from the size of a grain of rice, to what will fit on a pinhead, to 1/2 a drop, to what will fill as "O", so it's difficult to gauge the exact amount to give.

I've also been feeding her for about 2 weeks - mostly walnuts, some with coconut oil, some with peanut butter, some plain, and also Henry's Picky Blocks - a recent add to her diet.

She's perky and has a good appetite. But I'm very worried because she continues to lose fur and is still scratching a lot. And now has some drops of blood on her skin from scratching. I'm attaching a picture of her from today and one from Dec. 15th. On Dec. 15th she still had a little hair on her haunches and a full tail, but now she has no hair on her haunches and is starting to lose fur from the base of her tail.

Should I be doing something different with the doses? Giving her more than what I've been giving her? Giving her a mid-cycle dose less than a week from the last dose?

Any suggestions will be welcomed.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Geri from:

Buddy (12-23-2020)

Default Re: Squirrel with mange is struggling

Once a week for 3 weeks, size of a grain of rice. That is what I have used for adults and it worked. It does take a while though. I'd say at least 2 weeks before you see any change worth noting.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scooterzmom:

Geri (12-23-2020), stepnstone (12-23-2020)

Thank you for your reply! So I shouldn't assume that I've under-dosed her, or that it's not working, even though she is not only not making improvement, but her condition is getting worse - less fur, scratching bloody spots on her body? Is that what I should be expecting? I wouldn't be quite so glum about this if she was staying at least steady...

Where did you acquire the Ivermectin and in what form is it?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Geri (12-23-2020)

Hi!

Thank you for your reply! I purchased Bimectin (Ivermectin) Paste 1.87%, 6.08g at Tractor Supply.

The ivemectin 1.87% paste should be working. Try kneading the tube well in an attempt get the active ingredients distributed better. I would also purchase a new tube in case you just got a bad/weak batch. It does take some time before the hair grows back in so while it might be working, you might not notice improvements for a couple more weeks.

I have recommended using the amount needed to fill in this "O" but that is a conservative, safe amount for a full grown, adult squirrel. Do not give doses closer than 7 days apart. You can certainly give a 3rd or more additional doses if needed. Another option is to get some Kitten Revolution, we can help with dosing if you go this route.

Quote Originally Posted by Geri View Post
    Hi!

Thank you for your reply! I purchased Bimectin (Ivermectin) Paste 1.87%, 6.08g at Tractor Supply.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Geri (12-24-2020)