Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel with mange is struggling

Default Re: Squirrel with mange is struggling

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I give tissues and not paper towels. I think they are much easier to cram into their mouths to carry and they’re definitely softer.

If you could stand your box on edge so that what’s inside isn’t exposed to the elements but still accessible it would make it easier for you to put stuff out for her without worry about snow or rain.

I had an old wool Army blanket that I cut into squares and it was used. Wool would probably be well liked because of its warming capabilities.
    Thank you for the great suggestions. I think I might have an old wool blanket kicking around - I'll try to find it.

Default Re: Squirrel with mange is struggling - update :-)

Hi, all!

Thank you all so much for all the help you've given me regarding treating the backyard squirrel with mange. I got 3 doses of Ivermectin in her, and feed her several times a day. She's much improved. Here are before and after pictures.

She may not be totally in the clear. She still scratches a lot, and makes small bloody spots on her skin. She also will sometimes tilt a little to the left. Sometimes when she does that, she also lifts a paw. But otherwise, her behavior seems perky and normal.

I have Revolution on order and will give her a dose of that when it arrives - unless the experts on this board recommend otherwise.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

3. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Geri:

Buddy (01-18-2021), Chirps (01-18-2021), Grinderhead (01-17-2021), Mel1959 (01-18-2021), TubeDriver (01-17-2021)

That is so much better. That's great. I am sure that you giving her extra food was a big help as well.

Thanks for giving everyone an update.

It will take the fur some time to reach full thickness.

It looks like she was able to retain her full tail throughout the whole ordeal.

Where you able to give her some paper products for her nest?

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Geri (01-17-2021)

She looks so much better! You most likely saved her life! I would continue to help support her with food and water. She might not need any additional meds at all but if you see any relapse, you can repeat the treatment or use Revilution this time.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

7. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Buddy (01-18-2021), Chirps (01-18-2021), Geri (01-17-2021), Mel1959 (01-18-2021), stepnstone (01-17-2021)

That's such a great update!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Geri (01-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    That is so much better. That's great. I am sure that you giving her extra food was a big help as well.

Thanks for giving everyone an update.

It will take the fur some time to reach full thickness.

It looks like she was able to retain her full tail throughout the whole ordeal.

Where you able to give her some paper products for her nest?
    Thank you for your message! We put a out a box with leaves and cut up squares of paper towels. The last time we took it in - so it wouldn't get snowed on, the paper towels were gone, so I'll put some more out.

My hubby commented that it was a flattering picture of the squirrel - and it was - the picture makes her look a little better than what she really is, but I thought she deserved a flattering picture :-). She started to lose fur at the base of her tail, and that still hasn't quite come back, but by and large she did retain a fluffy tail throughout. And you're correct - her fur is not thick at all, but it's great to see that it is coming back in.

11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Geri:

Buddy (01-19-2021), Rock Monkey (01-19-2021), stepnstone (04-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    She looks so much better! You most likely saved her life! I would continue to help support her with food and water. She might not need any additional meds at all but if you see any relapse, you can repeat the treatment or use Revilution this time.
    Thank you for your reply! I couldn't have done this with out the support of you and the other wonderful people on this board - I really appreciate the help and encouragement that all of you have given.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Geri from:

Buddy (01-19-2021)

Default Re: Squirrel with mange is struggling - Revolution?

Hi, all!

The backyard squirrel with mange is doing really well. But she still scratches a lot and has bloody spots - on her paw now - kind of like where our wrist would be...

I've received the Revolution/Strong Hold and am thinking I should dose her with it.

Two questions. One is that it is bitter cold here in Michigan right now - lows around 0o and highs only in the teens. And there's a fair amount of snow on the ground, don't know if that matters or not. I'm wondering if I should avoid giving her the Strong Hold now when she's having to struggle with the bitter cold. Would it compromise her system such that she would have more trouble battling the freezing temps.

Secondly, when I do does her, how do I actually do that? I have 3 pipettes of the Strong Hold. Do I just pierce the cap and put a drop on a nut?

Thank you!!!

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Geri from:

TubeDriver (02-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Geri View Post
    Hi, all!
    The backyard squirrel with mange is doing really well. But she still scratches a lot and has bloody spots - on her paw now - kind of like where our wrist would be...
    I've received the Revolution/Strong Hold and am thinking I should dose her with it.
    Two questions. One is that it is bitter cold here in Michigan right now - lows around 0o and highs only in the teens. And there's a fair amount of snow on the ground, don't know if that matters or not. I'm wondering if I should avoid giving her the Strong Hold now when she's having to struggle with the bitter cold. Would it compromise her system such that she would have more trouble battling the freezing temps.
    Secondly, when I do does her, how do I actually do that? I have 3 pipettes of the Strong Hold. Do I just pierce the cap and put a drop on a nut? Thank you!!!

Treating her will not compromise her being out in the cold.
    Yes, 1 or 2 drops on a nut that she will eat will do it.
    I would either put a hole in the nut or scrape a channel in
    the nut for dosing allowing some time for med to absorb.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Geri (02-12-2021), TubeDriver (02-11-2021)

Follow Step's instructions. Keep on giving her food as needed, natural food sources are getting scarce as the winter winds on. I give my wilds unsalted almonds. The extra protein and fat helps keep them strong during the winter.

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Geri (02-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post

Treating her will not compromise her being out in the cold.
    Yes, 1 or 2 drops on a nut that she will eat will do it.
    I would either put a hole in the nut or scrape a channel in
    the nut for dosing allowing some time for med to absorb.
    Thank you for the reassurance! I'll dose her this weekend.

Hi, all!

So the squirrel I treated for mange made it through the winter - yay! But... she's still not in good shape. Here's what I've done so far. I treated her 3 times with Ivermectin - about 10 days apart, starting in mid-December. By mid-January her coat started to grow back, but she was still scratching a lot, and while she looked soooo much better, she didn't look great, and then she started regressing. I then treated her with Revolution - twice - 30 days apart and more than 30 days after her last Ivermectin dose.

She still scratches a lot, has not regained a full coat, and has bloody spots on her back legs. She basically looks a bit bedraggled.

What would the experts here recommend? Am I dosing her too lightly? Do I just keep going with the medication? Maybe switch back to Ivermectin for another 3 doses?

Thank you to all that got her this far!

stepnstone - I appreciate your directions for how to get the Revolution!

Rock Monkey - at your suggestion we put out leaves and paper towel pieces in the winter but didn't know if it was of any help. Just the other day a neighbor said she had seen the squirrel, in the winter, taking leaves out of the box and carrying them in her mouth up to her nest :-) That made our day to know that your suggestion was of help to her in the winter.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Geri from:

Buddy (04-18-2021)

Can we get a recent pic? She looked so GOOD in the last one...

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Buddy (04-18-2021), Geri (04-20-2021)

just a thought: this poor girl may be suffering from low immune system, due to the way she regressed after t treatment. Try some NutriFeron, made by Shaklee. You can grind up a tablet in 20ML of water and give about 0.4 by syringe or on a tasty treat. Really good immune booster, i take it myself to ward off Covid.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

26. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Buddy (04-19-2021), Geri (04-20-2021), Mel1959 (04-19-2021), Nancy in New York (04-19-2021), TubeDriver (04-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Can we get a recent pic? She looked so GOOD in the last one...
    Thank you for your response! I'll take some pictures in the next few days and post them. She's improved tremendously from the worst of it, but has never reached 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    just a thought: this poor girl may be suffering from low immune system, due to the way she regressed after t treatment. Try some NutriFeron, made by Shaklee. You can grind up a tablet in 20ML of water and give about 0.4 by syringe or on a tasty treat. Really good immune booster, i take it myself to ward off Covid.
    Thank you for your post! That's a great suggestion - I'll look into the NutriFeron.

In the meantime, I would absolutely go ahead and re-do the ivermectin. The "3 doses" isn't a maximum - in bad cases it is a MINIMUM number of doses.

30. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Geri (05-13-2021), TubeDriver (05-13-2021)

Hi, all!

We gave our squirrel a dose of Ivermectin today - it's been more than 30 days since we treated her with Revolution and she still isn't 100%. We dosed a pecan with about a rice grain sized amount of Ivermectin. After we fed it to the squirrel she had some tremors and then laid over on her side for a little bit. Eventually she recovered and ate some nuts and Picky Blocks and had water and seemed to have recovered. We can only think her tremors/seizure must have been in response to the Ivermectin, but has anyone else ever had this happen? Scared me...! Thank you for any thoughts or suggestions.

I don't like the sound of that at all. Maybe try Revolution next time and stop using ivermectin?

I hope your fresh water and picky blocks will help her to get stronger and her own immune system can start to help fight off the mange in addition to the meds.

Hi, all!

We gave our squirrel a dose of Ivermectin today - it's been more than 30 days since we treated her with Revolution and she still isn't 100%. We dosed a pecan with about a rice grain sized amount of Ivermectin. After we fed it to the squirrel she had some tremors and then laid over on her side for a little bit. Eventually she recovered and ate some nuts and Picky Blocks and had water and seemed to have recovered. We can only think her tremors/seizure must have been in response to the Ivermectin, but has anyone else ever had this happen? Scared me...! Thank you for any thoughts or suggestions.

-Grateful Dead

33. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Geri (05-14-2021)

Hi, all!

That would surely be my conclusion and I certinally wouldn't risk it happening again.
    When looking at some of the (possible)
    side effects associated with ivermectin, seizures and sudden drop in blood pressure are mentioned.
    I'd question if
    this could be what you saw and she experienced. Also mentioned as a side effect to the med is skin rash which leaves me
    to question if she is still dealing with mange at this point or could this now be the aftermath and she has a skin rash.
    Personally, I'd be more inclined to stop the mange meds and agree with IR's suggestion and concentrate on building on her immunity.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

35. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Geri (05-14-2021)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast