Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Squirrel with mange is struggling

Default Squirrel with mange is struggling

Hi, all!

I'm new to the SquirrelBoard. I live in Michigan and am trying to help a backyard wild squirrel through what I believe is mange. I gave her/him the 1st dose of Ivermectin on Monday, Dec. 14, 2020, and the second dose on Monday, Dec. 21, 2020. Tried to be very careful with the dose - descriptions of the recommended amount vary from source to source from the size of a grain of rice, to what will fit on a pinhead, to 1/2 a drop, to what will fill as "O", so it's difficult to gauge the exact amount to give.

I've also been feeding her for about 2 weeks - mostly walnuts, some with coconut oil, some with peanut butter, some plain, and also Henry's Picky Blocks - a recent add to her diet.

She's perky and has a good appetite. But I'm very worried because she continues to lose fur and is still scratching a lot. And now has some drops of blood on her skin from scratching. I'm attaching a picture of her from today and one from Dec. 15th. On Dec. 15th she still had a little hair on her haunches and a full tail, but now she has no hair on her haunches and is starting to lose fur from the base of her tail.

Should I be doing something different with the doses? Giving her more than what I've been giving her? Giving her a mid-cycle dose less than a week from the last dose?

Any suggestions will be welcomed.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Geri from:

Buddy (12-23-2020)

Default Re: Squirrel with mange is struggling

Once a week for 3 weeks, size of a grain of rice. That is what I have used for adults and it worked. It does take a while though. I'd say at least 2 weeks before you see any change worth noting.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scooterzmom:

Geri (12-23-2020), stepnstone (12-23-2020)

Thank you for your reply! So I shouldn't assume that I've under-dosed her, or that it's not working, even though she is not only not making improvement, but her condition is getting worse - less fur, scratching bloody spots on her body? Is that what I should be expecting? I wouldn't be quite so glum about this if she was staying at least steady...

Where did you acquire the Ivermectin and in what form is it?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Geri (12-23-2020)

Hi!

Thank you for your reply! I purchased Bimectin (Ivermectin) Paste 1.87%, 6.08g at Tractor Supply.

The ivemectin 1.87% paste should be working. Try kneading the tube well in an attempt get the active ingredients distributed better. I would also purchase a new tube in case you just got a bad/weak batch. It does take some time before the hair grows back in so while it might be working, you might not notice improvements for a couple more weeks.

I have recommended using the amount needed to fill in this "O" but that is a conservative, safe amount for a full grown, adult squirrel. Do not give doses closer than 7 days apart. You can certainly give a 3rd or more additional doses if needed. Another option is to get some Kitten Revolution, we can help with dosing if you go this route.

Quote Originally Posted by Geri View Post
    Hi!

Thank you for your reply! I purchased Bimectin (Ivermectin) Paste 1.87%, 6.08g at Tractor Supply.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Geri (12-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    The ivemectin 1.87% paste should be working. Try kneading the tube well in an attempt get the active ingredients distributed better. I would also purchase a new tube in case you just got a bad/weak batch. It does take some time before the hair grows back in so while it might be working, you might not notice improvements for a couple more weeks.

I have recommended using the amount needed to fill in this "O" but that is a conservative, safe amount for a full grown, adult squirrel. Do not give doses closer than 7 days apart. You can certainly give a 3rd or more additional doses if needed. Another option is to get some Kitten Revolution, we can help with dosing if you go this route.
    You can't "knead the tube" - this stuff comes in hard plastic oral "syringes" to be used to squirt the contents down a horse's throat.

It comes in two "forms" - some is a clear gel, some is a white paste. The gel doesn't separate but the paste can. About the only way to deal with this is to empty ALL of it into a covered container and give it a good stir. Once you are done treating the squirrel, throw it away so nobody can get into it.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Geri (12-24-2020), KCullen (05-30-2021)

Hi!

Thank you, CritterMom and TubeDriver, for your replies and suggestions!

I used a new syringe for both doses - a week apart, and I squirted it into a glass jar and then stirred it to make sure it was mixed together. Then I applied it to a walnut with a toothpick.

I have more syringes from Tractor Supply, but I also have one that I bought on Amazon that is also a different brand - I'll try that one for the 3rd dose, in response to your thought that maybe I got a bad batch from Tractor Supply.

I don't think I can/want to get close enough to use Kitten Revolution - assuming I would need to put in on her skin.

So it sounds like I've done/am doing everything I can for the moment? I'll welcome any additional suggestions for anything else I might be doing. She scratching a lot...

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Geri from:

TubeDriver (12-24-2020)

You giving her supplemental food is a big help. This enables her body to have enough strength to combat the mange and deal with the winter temperatures.

You could also try giving some avocado, no skin, no pit. It has a high fat content.

At least she has a nice, big bushy tail to wrap about herself as she settles down to sleep.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Geri (12-24-2020)

Thank you, Rock Monkey, for your reply! And also the suggestion for avocado. I'll give that a try.

She's starting to lose the fur at the base of her tail, so I hope she can still maintain enough to wrap around her...

I should have been more detailed in my directions. Squirt out a portion of the gel or paste. Then pull the plunger back in. With the container partially empty, you can mix up the contents a bit by repeatedly going in and out with the plunger. But good to know that greenish gel does not have issues with separation!

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    You can't "knead the tube" - this stuff comes in hard plastic oral "syringes" to be used to squirt the contents down a horse's throat.

It comes in two "forms" - some is a clear gel, some is a white paste. The gel doesn't separate but the paste can. About the only way to deal with this is to empty ALL of it into a covered container and give it a good stir. Once you are done treating the squirrel, throw it away so nobody can get into it.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Geri (12-25-2020), RockyPops (12-25-2020)

I believe that Revolution can be given orally as well as topical.

Don't give both at same time.

Someone can verify this as well as give correct dosage.

Thanks for caring for this baby!

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

Geri (12-25-2020)

In addition to giving plenty of food, you might want to put out some pieces of paper towel. She will likely wad these up and put them in her mouth. This will give her additional insulating material for her nest. Keep giving it until she stops taking it. It will also give you some notion of where she is sleeping.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Geri (12-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RockyPops View Post

I would be interested in knowing more about giving it orally. Thank you for letting me know!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    In addition to giving plenty of food, you might want to put out some pieces of paper towel. She will likely wad these up and put them in her mouth. This will give her additional insulating material for her nest. Keep giving it until she stops taking it. It will also give you some notion of where she is sleeping.
    That's great to know about paper towels! Thank you! I've been wondering if there was anything I could do to help her with her bedding. I know where she lives - she's living in a sycamore tree next door to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    This got me to surfing on what I could do to help with her bedding. I see the whole polyfill vs fleece debate - polyfill fibers might wrap around a squirrel limb (arm, leg, toe) but fleece retains water and molds. So... what is the best option to pursue? I wouldn't mind cutting the polyfill into small fibers, if that would be the best option. And then specifically what polyfill should I get - just get the Poly-Fil Premium Polyester Fiberfill on Amazon? Or use cotton balls? Or just stick with paper towels? Can I put paper towels out when it's precipitating (snow right now...)? Thank you!

Here is a post copied from Specific Ailment Information

"Revolution is Selamectin which is the same active ingredient in Stronghold. You can use just a drop on the back of the neck or even give a drop orally (like on a nut)."

Someone else will have to dose it.

As far as bedding material, if you can round up any fallen, dry leaves and place them near where your baby has easy access to them he/she can decide if they are needed.

28. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

Geri (12-26-2020), TubeDriver (12-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RockyPops View Post

Yes Revolution can be put on a nut. I take a pecan put Just one drop let it soak in for awhile and then give to your squirrel 👍
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

Geri (12-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Geri View Post
    This got me to surfing on what I could do to help with her bedding. I see the whole polyfill vs fleece debate - polyfill fibers might wrap around a squirrel limb (arm, leg, toe) but fleece retains water and molds. So... what is the best option to pursue? I wouldn't mind cutting the polyfill into small fibers, if that would be the best option. And then specifically what polyfill should I get - just get the Poly-Fil Premium Polyester Fiberfill on Amazon? Or use cotton balls? Or just stick with paper towels? Can I put paper towels out when it's precipitating (snow right now...)? Thank you!
    Yes, the topic of the ideal nest material has no universal agreement. Most materials seem to have pro and cons.

My squirrel is a paper thief. She has access to a pile of dry leaves. However, I have never seen her take any leaves to any of the various nests that she has created throughout the house.

My recommendation is to choose paper which does not create a lot of fibers when torn or agitated, as these will cause a pulmonary irritant. Tissues and toilet paper tend to be dusty. In order to find out which is which, tear some of the paper that you are thinking to put out, doing so when the sun is streaming in. Then you can see how much dust is created.

In the vicinity of where you are putting out the food, put some paper and some dry leaves, if you can find them, on something raised off the ground to prevent them from sponging up moisture and rig some safe, ad hoc cover to prevent them from getting wet from above. You also might see if she has any interest an old sock that is close to being thrown out.

See which items, if any, she takes. If she takes some, keep putting out more until she stops.

If she remains well fed and is able to stay warm, her body should be able to fight off the mange, especially with a little medicinal boost.

Beware that the new Revolution Plus has a new, second active ingredient. This new version has not been widely used on squirrels, so it is unknown if this second ingredient will cause adverse effects. There are now generic version of the original Revolution with just the single, original active ingredient which has been demonstrated to be safe for use on wild squirrels.

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Geri (12-26-2020)

Just seeing this. Poor baby, getting into a Michigan winter without proper clothes! Thank you for helping her. Another bedding option if you can get it is wool. Even with all the high-tech synthetics out there, outdoorspeople still come back to wool. It's the only material that still insulates even when wet. If you're concerned about fiber length I guess you can cut it shorter.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

34. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

Geri (12-26-2020)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast