Thread: Mr. Nods - Why does he nod?

Wink Mr. Nods - Why does he nod?

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and am hoping someone can identify what may be going on with our wild gray squirrel neighbor. S/he is easy to ID from the other squirrels in our woods because he has a very unusual behavior. Whenever he stops moving, he starts nodding - as if he is nodding off to sleep. He will nod 3-4 times (drops his head almost to his chest) or so before he is on zipping away to his next task. This behavior doesn't seem to faze him in the least.

He has no injuries that we can see, looks very healthy, and behaves in all other ways like all the other grays in our yard. We noticed him last spring/summer.

Have you seen this before? The only thing that comes to mind is a brain tumor, a tic... or something genetic...?

Thanks so much and stay safe wearing your mask!

Default Re: Mr. Nods - Why does he nod?

This sounds like head trauma to me, albeit a mild case because this little guy is still going strong since last spring. He may have had a fall, or been hit by a car, with lasting neurological results. So long as he is eating and drinking and functioning as a squirrel, there's nothing you can really do. Keep on eye on him -- he may get better, worse, or stay the same. Right now, he's getting by. Bless you for caring about him.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Rock Monkey (12-20-2020)

Default Re: Mr. Nods - Why does he nod?

Thank you Island Rehabber! I wonder if he did fall from a tree? I remember standing at my kitchen sink around the time Covid set in (March) and seeing a squirrel fall from a tall Ponderosa. I rushed outside, but didn't find a trace of anyone at the base of the tree or nearby. Hmmmmm... thank you!

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jcozie from:

island rehabber (12-20-2020)