Thread: Caring for a traumatized gray squirrel

Default Caring for a traumatized gray squirrel

Hi..I just took in a 3 month old Gray squirrel that came from a caregiver that slipped into psychosis and eventually was hospitalized..she cared for this Gray since before his eyes were opened..before psychosis there was such trust and an incredible bond between them..then she became agitated and angry without warning which led to the abuse that went undetected for maybe a week or so..now this little guy is terrified..there are moments I can pet him without a freakout but it's almost like he zones out in those moments..Does anyone have advice on how to care for this poor guy? Any thing possible to help him trust me in time?

Default Re: Caring for a traumatized gray squirrel

What a sad, tragic story for both squirrel and human! I think this will take time. Squirrels are prey animals and now he may view humans as predators. Go slowly with him, no sudden movements, no dogs or cats around him, or loud people 😁. Does he have some familiar things from his last home? Treat him like he just came in from the wild: let him give You permission to touch, not the other way around. Saying a little prayer for this boy and his former mamma.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

3. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Buddy (12-21-2020), lukaslolamaus (12-18-2020), Mel1959 (12-18-2020), Scooterzmom (12-22-2020), stepnstone (12-21-2020)

Thank you for prayers..I'm happy to say this poor little guy is starting to ease his way to me and take food from my hand..he does the grab and run method but it's a small step toward progress..I know it will take time and patience but I'm tickled pink to see him in this way..he isn't curled up hiding in his hammock and he no longer cries out when I approach him..I got an update on his mom and she is doing better tho still hospitalized...I won't go into much detail in order to respect her privacy but it's been explained that she has no recollection of things that has happened...something called silent seizures..I want to thank you all that did not post negative thoughts on this situation..I know how easy it is to be angered toward abuse..this was brought on by a medical reason and not malicious intent..I don't know her well but those that do have assured me this was completely not her at all. Please keep little squirrel and mom in prayers and I will update on squirrels progress...Thanks Again

5. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Squirtlesmom80:

Buddy (12-21-2020), island rehabber (12-22-2020), JPlagg (12-21-2020), Scooterzmom (12-22-2020)

I’m thrilled to hear about your little guys progress.

I just wanted to be sure that you don’t intend to return this little guy back to his original owner. It sounds awful to even be saying that, but I would fear that the abuse could happen again. I don’t think it’s fair to him to be put through the changes and have to adapt all over again.

I completely understand.. no worries I'm definitely plan to keep him with me the husband of the lady who had him definitely says that it's going to be a while before he's even comfortable with allowing her to be the caregiver of any more squirrels at this time right now the focus is on her getting better so she's got to care for herself before she can care for anything else but most definitely we're already making progress and I definitely don't want to have to move him again to another place where he'd be uncomfortable and scared so I've already decided he's going to stay with me 😉. It's good to see that you're so concerned for him it warms my heart knowing that others still have compassion for innocent lives.

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Squirtlesmom80:

island rehabber (12-22-2020), Mel1959 (12-22-2020), Scooterzmom (12-22-2020)

I am breathing a sigh of relief that he's staying with you, at the same time that I am almost in tears for that poor woman. Any one of us could succumb to such a horrible fate, and imagine how you'd feel after being told what you'd done? Bless you, Squirtlesmom80, for your care and compassion for both.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Mel1959 (12-22-2020)