Thread: I Don't Think I Can Ever Do This Again

Default I Don't Think I Can Ever Do This Again

I became a squirrel "rehabber" by accident when the neighbors cut down a tree, found two baby squirrels - two weeks old - and gave them to me. I fully intended to take them to our local wildlife rehab center but it was closed due to covid. So...next think I know I am oh so carefully syringe feeding and cheering when stimulation techniques work! I took them on vacation with me to the beach, leaving the beach every couple hours as needed; when I friend invited me to visit, I said "I have to bring the squirrels." Honestly, I was shocked they survived my inexperienced ways but they did. We built them a pre-release cage and my heart cracked when the boy released himself before I - or I feared he - was ready. But my little girl - Squirrelie - stayed and at 14 weeks and with a custom made $75 nesting box- she took up residence in a tree in my side yard. Not without me putting her back in her pre-release cage the first night, too nervous for her. I'd see her in the morning if I got up early enough, her little head popping out of her nesting box when I called "Squirrelie Squirrelie." In the afternoon she would come from "no where" when I was out feeding my bunnies, jumping on me and looking for her afternoon treat. Each night I would climb a ladder to peak in on her sleeping though I never woke her - hearing how mean racoons can be and not wanting her to trust any noise outside her box. I worried when I went away for Thanksgiving that she would "move on," thinking I had somehow abandoned her but no, she was here when I returned. Now though, it's been a week since I saw her and my heart is absolutely crushed. I've had pets my whole life; I've grieved many lost furry friends but this hurts deeper than any, I fear. There is just something about these creatures - that most of us see from the time we are little children and cease to notice along the way of life - that burrows down inside you once you are "forced" to really see them. In just a few months, I became a squirrel-lover with my friends already inundating me with squirrel mugs, squirrel ornaments, etc. but now I can't even bare to look at any of it. I thought "I won't give up on her" and vowed to check her nest every night but realized the sight of the empty little "bowl" (indentation) where she slept is too painful. I can't even bring myself to tell anyone I haven't seen her in a week. I hope I am wrong. I hope by some miracle one day I am here writing, "you'll never BELIEVE this..." but right now all I feel is her absence.

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Barby:

Buddy (12-07-2020), Rock Monkey (12-07-2020), RockyPops (12-07-2020)

Default Re: I Don't Think I Can Ever Do This Again

I wish I had words or time to write enough to somehow make it just a little better, but I guess even if I wrote a dissertation it still wouldn’t make the hurt stop. Just know that others here have been right where you are. I’ve only released a few , I’m a beginner. My first ( a flyer ) hard released himself without his companion and that was upsetting . But then summer before last, I released my first three greys. And.... within a couple hours of being in the trees, a T storm with tornadic winds came up from nowhere; thought the forecast was fine!! I never saw them at the RC again. Just gone. Now, I fret over my four that were released over this summer . I still go out to the woods to feed every morning. Sometimes there’s one, or 2.... Once on a day off when I had time , I spotted several in the trees waiting to come eat... I can only hope all were the releases. And then, when I don’t see them, I worry. And say the same thing. Never again. It’s too gut wrenching. And then, while we were in COVID quarantine ( our whole family was sick) , a person dropped off little “Elliot” in a shoe box placed on the hood of one of our vehicles. He’s my first “overwinter” kid. So here we go again ... I guess others here can speak better from years and even decades of experience. I feel your pain, truly. I guess for me, watching this little man who came as a scrawny , crusty skin skeleton baby grow and look healthier as the days go by, is worth the sadness I know will come when we say goodbye. Whether it’s on day 1 of release and a storm blows in, and he decides to never return.... Or, if I see him for many weeks after We do our best to give them a chance they wouldn’t have had otherwise. Please be at peace you did your best . And?? Be optimistic that even if that box stays empty, she may have an upgrade ( the real kind of nest) in a tree that was too irresistible....loaded with nuts, and other food sources. Now that you have the knowledge and experience, you may find that helping another(s) could help with the hurt .

Keep feed out at her box , or feeding station .. and you may still post that update , that she comes back for a visit

4. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Snicker Bar:

Barby (12-07-2020), Buddy (12-07-2020), Diggie's Friend (12-07-2020), jessijuju (12-16-2020), Mel1959 (12-07-2020), RockyPops (12-07-2020)

I think most of us have been there and felt exactly what you are feeling. It NEVER becomes easy to have them move out to be the squirrels nature intended them to be, but it becomes ever so slightly easier. . Because of you she had the tools to survive in the wild.....you did your job well. Don’t give up on her. There have been many stories on here of squirrels returning as much as a year later. Continue to call her occasionally and feed any wilds that come to visit. You never know she may show up and you may not recognize her.

I completely understand the feeling of not being able to do this ever again. What I’ve learned is you can never say never. I have a feeling if some other little innocent babies needed your help you’d take them because you know you may be their only chance. Many facilities fill up and can’t take every baby when baby season rolls around. That’s where us folks that have done it before can step in and help save them.

Does your nest box have raccoon predator guards in front of the openings? If not, you could add them for a little extra peace of mind.

6. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Barby (12-07-2020), Buddy (12-07-2020), Diggie's Friend (12-07-2020), island rehabber (12-07-2020), RockyPops (12-07-2020), Snicker Bar (12-07-2020)

I really can't help your hurt either, except to know EXACTLY how you feel, as probably everyone here does. I want to give you hope that she's just checking out her world, maybe building extra homes "just in case" and will decide she likes the house you gave her best after all and comes back to it. The only thing I can offer is that you made it possible for her to be the squirrel she was meant to be, doing her squirrelly things. We are lucky when they include us in their lives but they don't always. But she may yet! A week is an eternity when we're imagining all the things that can happen to them, but it's not that long if she's finding new places and learning new habitats. Just in case.

One thing I'm curious about-- can you look in the box without opening it and see right in to her sleeping spot? Because if you can, it sounds like a raccoon could just reach in and grab her. Maybe I'm missing something of the description. There are/is predator baffle/s? Maybe she's looking for or found a more secure home?
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

8. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

Buddy (12-07-2020), Diggie's Friend (12-07-2020), Mel1959 (12-07-2020), RockyPops (12-07-2020), Snicker Bar (12-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post

One thing I'm curious about-- can you look in the box without opening it and see right in to her sleeping spot? Because if you can, it sounds like a raccoon could just reach in and grab her. Maybe I'm missing something of the description. There are/is predator baffle/s? Maybe she's looking for or found a more secure home?
    Name:  nest box construction.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  121.3 KB
    The nest box should have an area that your squirrel can "hunker down" and a predator cant reach in and touch them. This is an example...there are other options on-line to consider.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________

I released 2 brothers Claro & Oscuro years ago..they vanished in 2 days...I cried. Then 4 months later Oscuro appeared and came daily for many months to eat breakfast with us.
    Name:  Oscuro returns.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  101.2 KB
    He would sit on my shoulder and snack. Claro came back also a little later but only stayed a week or so. Soooooooooooooooo give it time, Each squirrel is unique and there are NO RULES. Your love gave him a 2nd chance--- and now Nature is the boss
    Name:  oscuro Apr.2014.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  126.3 KB

10. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stosh2010:

Barby (12-07-2020), Buddy (12-08-2020), Chirps (12-08-2020), Mel1959 (12-07-2020), RockyPops (12-07-2020), Snicker Bar (12-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    I really can't help your hurt either, except to know EXACTLY how you feel, as probably everyone here does. I want to give you hope that she's just checking out her world, maybe building extra homes "just in case" and will decide she likes the house you gave her best after all and comes back to it. The only thing I can offer is that you made it possible for her to be the squirrel she was meant to be, doing her squirrelly things. We are lucky when they include us in their lives but they don't always. But she may yet! A week is an eternity when we're imagining all the things that can happen to them, but it's not that long if she's finding new places and learning new habitats. Just in case.

No, there is not a predator baffle - which of course now I'm mad at myself as I bought the box from an "established" builder but just learned recently about how vicious racoons can be. I am relatively comfortable a racoon did not get her in her box though - of course doesn't mean I should not add a baffle - but the tree is in the middle of my "bunnyville" where I have eight bunnies, knock on wood, that have never been bothered. (I close them in their hutches at night but two of them keep "escaping" into their yard at all hours. ) Anyway, I have three dogs that I regularly let around the perimeter of bunnyville and I think their scent and marking helps keep predators at bay. There are also lights on all night. Of course not a guarantee - nothing is, right. But I've never seen a racoon around. But again, definitely will add a baffle. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    I wish I had words or time to write enough to somehow make it just a little better, but I guess even if I wrote a dissertation it still wouldn’t make the hurt stop. Just know that others here have been right where you are. I’ve only released a few , I’m a beginner. My first ( a flyer ) hard released himself without his companion and that was upsetting . But then summer before last, I released my first three greys. And.... within a couple hours of being in the trees, a T storm with tornadic winds came up from nowhere; thought the forecast was fine!! I never saw them at the RC again. Just gone. Now, I fret over my four that were released over this summer . I still go out to the woods to feed every morning. Sometimes there’s one, or 2.... Once on a day off when I had time , I spotted several in the trees waiting to come eat... I can only hope all were the releases. And then, when I don’t see them, I worry. And say the same thing. Never again. It’s too gut wrenching. And then, while we were in COVID quarantine ( our whole family was sick) , a person dropped off little “Elliot” in a shoe box placed on the hood of one of our vehicles. He’s my first “overwinter” kid. So here we go again ... I guess others here can speak better from years and even decades of experience. I feel your pain, truly. I guess for me, watching this little man who came as a scrawny , crusty skin skeleton baby grow and look healthier as the days go by, is worth the sadness I know will come when we say goodbye. Whether it’s on day 1 of release and a storm blows in, and he decides to never return.... Or, if I see him for many weeks after We do our best to give them a chance they wouldn’t have had otherwise. Please be at peace you did your best . And?? Be optimistic that even if that box stays empty, she may have an upgrade ( the real kind of nest) in a tree that was too irresistible....loaded with nuts, and other food sources. Now that you have the knowledge and experience, you may find that helping another(s) could help with the hurt .

Keep feed out at her box , or feeding station .. and you may still post that update , that she comes back for a visit

Yes, I am sure like all of us tender hearts here, given the need, I could not turn a little fury soul away. I imagine it doesn't get "easier" but just a little different where you understand a bit more what we all open our hearts up to.. Thank you. Elliot sounds delightful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I think most of us have been there and felt exactly what you are feeling. It NEVER becomes easy to have them move out to be the squirrels nature intended them to be, but it becomes ever so slightly easier. . Because of you she had the tools to survive in the wild.....you did your job well. Don’t give up on her. There have been many stories on here of squirrels returning as much as a year later. Continue to call her occasionally and feed any wilds that come to visit. You never know she may show up and you may not recognize her.

I completely understand the feeling of not being able to do this ever again. What I’ve learned is you can never say never. I have a feeling if some other little innocent babies needed your help you’d take them because you know you may be their only chance. Many facilities fill up and can’t take every baby when baby season rolls around. That’s where us folks that have done it before can step in and help save them.

Does your nest box have raccoon predator guards in front of the openings? If not, you could add them for a little extra peace of mind.
    Thank you. I knew people here would understand. And yes, I doubt I'd turn my back on a new little needy soul.

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Barby:

Buddy (12-07-2020), Chirps (12-08-2020), TubeDriver (12-07-2020)

Ideally a squirrel box should be at least 20 ft up a tree and that tree should be interconnected with other trees. It should be placed in a deciduous tree so it is shaded in the summer, but get southern exposure sunshine in the winter when the leaves have fallen off.

They don't build their nest close to the ground. For one thing, it makes it harder for a predator to smell their presence. The tree shouldn't be covered with lichen which is slick and does not provide good purchase.

Most squirrels have three or four nests, whether tree hollows or dreys which they build with branches covered with leaves. She may just be sleeping somewhere else that feels safer to her. Her self preservation instincts will trump the heart bond with you.

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

Buddy (12-07-2020), Chirps (12-08-2020), RockyPops (12-07-2020)

You popping in her to check on her is going to make her feel less secure. (If you can pop in, so can a raccoon, their thinking might surmise.) Even in their sleep, their senses are monitoring their environment. They will even bolt from their nest in the middle of the night if they feel spooked by an unusual sound or smell.

The hard part is backing off some and trusting their natural instincts to keep them safe.

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

Barby (12-07-2020), Chirps (12-08-2020), RockyPops (12-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Ideally a squirrel box should be at least 20 ft up a tree and that tree should be interconnected with other trees. It should be placed in a deciduous tree so it is shaded in the summer, but get southern exposure sunshine in the winter when the leaves have fallen off.

They don't build their nest close to the ground. For one thing, it makes it harder for a predator to smell their presence. The tree shouldn't be covered with lichen which is slick and does not provide good purchase.

Most squirrels have three or four nests, whether tree hollows or dreys which they build with branches covered with leaves. She may just be sleeping somewhere else that feels safer to her. Her self preservation instincts will trump the heart bond with you.

Yes, I would say from what I am learning, the nest I have provided for her is not a premium location/situation. I did notice her getting more "squirrelie" the longer she was free. First release, I could still hold her. Then she didn't allow that but would sit on me and eat her treats. Then come climb on me for treats but take them away to eat (or bury) etc. Of all the possibilities that I try not to let my mind go to, this one is best.

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Barby:

Chirps (12-08-2020), RockyPops (12-07-2020)

I have not found a huge difference in the exposure of the nest box in the trees and whether it gets used or not. My guys seem to rotate between nest boxes, to some extent. I guess the location might be more critical where it gets really cold. All of my boxes are in trees on the west side of my property where it gets quite hot in the summer time. If they are too hot then they will build a drey close by for the summer months and return to the boxes when it cools a bit. There are a couple of boxes that are preferred by my resident female release, but I think it’s just because she claimed that tree as “hers”.

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (12-07-2020), RockyPops (12-07-2020)

When it gets cold, the sun makes a huge difference, particularly the farther you go north. In the next 10 days, the forecast says that temperatures won't get below 50 in Miami and will get as high as 80, here in NC it will get down to 25 tomorrow morning, in NJ it will barely get above 50 on any day, and in Chicago, starting Sunday the 13th, it won't get above 35 degrees.

Let us suppose it is 40 degrees out, a nest box that is in the sun will be much warmer than one that is in perpetual shade. A house in the sun becomes a heat sink, storing heat energy, one in perpetual shade becomes an icebox, constantly draining thermal energy from any occupant.

There are good reasons why mountaineers dread north faces in the winter months in the northern hemisphere. They aren't just cold, they are deadly. The same principles apply in miniature in the contrast between a perch that gets sun and one that doesn't. The farther north you go, the lower the sun lies in the sky in the winter months, meaning that even objects that aren't very tall can block the sun.

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

Barby (12-09-2020), Buddy (12-09-2020)

A nest high up in a tree also gives the squirrel a much wider field of view. They can see farther, enabling them to spot predators sooner and be better able to plot the safest escape route. It also allows them to watch all of the other creatures: birds can also give them early warning of the presence of a predator, they can also better see other squirrels, whether they be friends or hostile competitors.

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

Barby (12-09-2020), Buddy (12-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    A nest high up in a tree also gives the squirrel a much wider field of view. They can see farther, enabling them to spot predators sooner and be better able to plot the safest escape route. It also allows them to watch all of the other creatures: birds can also give them early warning of the presence of a predator, they can also better see other squirrels, whether they be friends or hostile competitors.
    Thank you. Yes, I am learning that apparently a squirrel knows more about being a squirrel than I do. All I could think of was The Worse and while we open our hearts up to that possibility for our dear friends, I am learning there are other possibilities for her reason to take up residency else where. I think the biggest thing to understand it they are wild animals and while I never intended to keep her as a pet, it's not just that: they don't necessarily bond to humans as a domesticated animal does.

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Barby from:

jessijuju (12-16-2020)