Thread: broken tail

Default broken tail

Hi guys
    Can anything be done about a broken tail? An adult wild is dragging her tail. I'm wondering if it's worth trapping her and taking her to a vet.

Default Re: broken tail

I am by no means an expert, but I can talk from experience. Last year I noticed two female wilds with broken tails. Both seem to have chewed the broken part off and they both healed very well. The fur grew back and they get around fine with half a tail.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Maria C from:

tgramsey (12-06-2020)

That's interesting, Maria. Thanks. I didn't know they would chew a dead part of the tail. This one is just dragging a full tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria C View Post
    I am by no means an expert, but I can talk from experience. Last year I noticed two female wilds with broken tails. Both seem to have chewed the broken part off and they both healed very well. The fur grew back and they get around fine with half a tail.

I had a female with babies fall from a tree. She injured her back and could barely get around. She dragged her whole tail. It had no life at all. I treated her with motrin for pain and inflamation.

She eventually got back to good health except only half her tail, from butt back halfway, returned to normal. She chewed it off at the injury and she's just fine now.

Bad part was once she decided to chew it off, it took a week or two and she acted like she felt terrible the whole time. Once it came off she was as good as new in a day or so.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

tgramsey (12-07-2020)

Thanks. Think I'll take it to the vet and see about taking off the dead tail vs making her go through the chew off. I trapped her but after reading your comment, maybe we should see if more of the tail comes back online first. I'll see what vet says. Thanks again for the note.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyPops View Post
    I had a female with babies fall from a tree. She injured her back and could barely get around. She dragged her whole tail. It had no life at all. I treated her with motrin for pain and inflamation.

She eventually got back to good health except only half her tail, from butt back halfway, returned to normal. She chewed it off at the injury and she's just fine now.

Bad part was once she decided to chew it off, it took a week or two and she acted like she felt terrible the whole time. Once it came off she was as good as new in a day or so.