Thread: Question on Hemp Seed, Flax Seed...

Default Question on Hemp Seed, Flax Seed...

I know it's not recommended to give seeds to squirrels in general, but I was wondering if Hemp Seed and Flax Seed are included in that? Generally, these are accepted as very nutritious and I add them to my smoothie with bunch of fruit. Buddy was really interested in my smoothie. There's nothing bad in my smoothie; it's bunch of berries, kale, a little bit of peanut butter and water. Plus hemp or flax seed. So I was curious on what the verdict is on those.

Thanks!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Default Re: Question on Hemp Seed, Flax Seed...

I cannot speak to hemp seed, but I can to flax. It is very popular in the horsing world because it makes the coats nice and shiny. But flax seed has the highest amount of phosphorus in any natural source - so they had to also put a ton of calcium in the flax seed they sold as supplements to balance out the phosphorus and not basically cause MBD in horses. So adding flax seed to a squirrels diet would require you also give lots of additional calcium - more than you get in the normal 2 HHBs and healthy diet because of the amount of phosphorus you would be adding to the diet. And tons of calcium isn't a good thing either...

You need to do some looking to see what the calcium to phosphorus ratio of the hemp seed is to determine if it would be better...

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Buddy (12-03-2020)

Thanks! Yes, I would only give if the answer was, "yes, it's really good for them". I don't need to add imbalances and then try to re-balance...

What's a good site/resource to check nutritional information? I looked into a few places and I don't see the value or info for phosphorus.
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Some include flax seed which is notable higher in Omega 3 to Omega 6 fatty acids. Yet flax seed has a drawback, as it is highly goitrogenic, causing the absorption of iodine to the parathyroid to lower, which in turn lowers the production of a hormone by the parathyroid gland which has the function of signaling the kidneys to produce 'calcitriol' (pro-vitamin D3), (pro-vitamin D3, plays a key role in promoting the absorption of dietary calcium from the gastrointestinal tract into the bloodstream of mammals. I.E. , highly goitrogenic foods included regularly, lower the absorption of dietary calcium to the bloodstream.

Chia oil (food grade) a non-goitrogenic seed oil, which is higher in ratio for Omega 3 to 6 that that of flaxseed, and flax seed oil, is an immune booster that is known to reduce inflammation in the body. https://organicvegansuperfoods.com/t...chia-seed-oil/

A member used this source for their horse that had a chronic painful condition, saw improvement in just a few days. This source has also be included for some years in the diet of a gray squirrel. Mild and nutty, (food grade) chia oil lends to aroma and taste appeal to foods it is added to; I was told it has improved the appeal of rodent block for a picky eater.

"Foods alive carries an organic food grade chia oil, that is available in a 4 oz. bottle on their website. https://foodsalive.com/products/orga...il-foods-alive
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 04-10-2021 at 09:30 PM.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Buddy (12-03-2020)

Awesome! Thank you so much for all the info!

Are you vegan? It's so nice (and useful) that you know so much about nutrition.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Diggie's Friend (12-04-2020)

I support the use of organic nutraceuticals for pets and for humans also. A study was done comparing the effects of an diet in rats that included organic grown cultivars to the same with conventionally produced cultivars and a third with conventionally produced cultivar with the use of some pesticides, with all three diets including the same vitamin and mineral complement. The diet with organic cultivars promoted a healthy immune system, good lower weight, better sleep, and longevity; yet neither of the two non-organic diets were found to support the same healthy results in the rats.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Buddy (12-04-2020)

Diggie's Friend's you are so knowledgeable in this kind of stuff thank you for sharing. I always see your input on a lot of posts! I am going to try the Chia oil on myself to see if it helps my arthritis since none of the things the Drs put into my body are helping. THANK YOU And then I need to figure out a good diet and follow it.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to BCChins:

Buddy (12-04-2020), Diggie's Friend (12-04-2020)

BCChins, you may also want to give this a try for your arthritis; yet check with your doctor if you are presently taking a blood thinner and or BP med. PYC effectively lowers BP; so that it is needful to reduce the dosage of BP meds generally so it wouldn't drop too low. Good deal though, as this generally means lower dosage for the med.

Pycnogenol for arthritis is anti inflammatory and analgesic.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28836883/

Up to 200 mg. a day human dose. "Healthy Origins" PYC has the least amount of additives. https://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Origi...ef_=ast_sto_dp

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Buddy (12-04-2020), sundoesshine (03-07-2021)

Thank You I am not on any BP meds or blood thinners. I am game to try anything to get this under control. The $4000-8000 a month meds don't work. I get horrible pain in my feet and middle fingers. I have Psoriatic Arthritis. Thank You again. Animal boards are the best. Should I add in the Chia Oil in a month or so??

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    What's a good site/resource to check nutritional information? I looked into a few places and I don't see the value or info for phosphorus.
    www.nutritiondata.self.com has very detailed information about foods. They even have pull downs to get even more detailed information.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (12-06-2020)

PYC has been studied over 50 years in more than 100 studies.
    One of the specific conditions PYC has worked well to improve is peripheral artery disease.

On this page is a picture of the title page, a click on link that will take you to the PYC Monograph page, an overview up to this year for all the conditions and findings for the efficacy of PYC found for various conditions. Scroll down to see the list of the dosages used for specific conditions in humans under the heading, "DOSAGE AND DURATION OF USE.". As always, for any new source, before you add it to your regimen, check with your physician.

https://abc.herbalgram.org/site/SPag...ame=Pycnogenol

I was reading about powdered flaxseed powder that without adding hot water to it and then cooling it can cause an obstruction, or at least a partial one. Same with fine MTS powder, as Toddy posted, needs to have hot water added to include it in the diet. That goes for the resent source I shared for organic MTS powder from Dr. Forest also.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...85#post1260085
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 12-07-2020 at 10:14 AM.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Buddy (12-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BCChins View Post
    Thank You I am not on any BP meds or blood thinners. I am game to try anything to get this under control. The $4000-8000 a month meds don't work. I get horrible pain in my feet and middle fingers. I have Psoriatic Arthritis.
    Our body's lymphatic system operates by body movement circulating fluids. So, if we don't move, more waste builds up, which usually makes things worse. Walking is a good low impact exercise that gets everything moving. Walking on grass or dirt results in less impact to the joints. Pavement and concrete should be avoided to the greatest extent possible, a house with wood floor being preferable to a house with a concrete slab on grade, even if that gets covered with carpet.

Swimming is also a good way to get in some low impact exercise that uses the whole body. Moderate yoga poses are also effective.

Our bodies operate on a use it or loose it system.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Chia oil (food grade) a non-goitrogenic seed oil, which is higher in ratio for Omega 3 to 6 that that of flaxseed, and flax seed oil, is an immune booster that is known to reduce inflammation in the body. https://organicvegansuperfoods.com/t...chia-seed-oil/
    So if oil is good, is seed okay? I would like to add a 1/2 tsp of chia seed to boo balls as it would really help them stick together. I would also hydrate first so they don't swell in the belly.

I considered using organic chia seed in a diet for tree squirrels as it is a good protein source. It is though the organic food grade organic chia oil that is a concentrated omega 3 source (nutraceutical) which is the higher anti-inflammatory compounds.

I like the chia seed mixed with oatmeal both prepared at the same time using hot water, as you say cook it first before feeding. For a half teaspoon cooked measure, start with about (1/4 Tsp.). Be sure to add sufficient calcium to the mixture, for these grains, like corn, are higher in phosphorus, which is what makes them an option to swap out for a corn and wheat base. The white chia seed is the better choice, as the black chia is notably high in oxalates that lower calcium availability. https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Org.../dp/B001L7X1HA
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 03-10-2021 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    I considered using organic chia seed in a diet for tree squirrels as it is a good protein source. It is though the organic food grade organic chia oil that is a concentrated omega 3 source (nutraceutical) which is the higher anti-inflammatory compounds.

I like the chia seed mixed with oatmeal both prepared at the same time using hot water, as you say cook it first before feeding. For a half teaspoon cooked measure, start with about (1/4 Tsp.). Be sure to add sufficient calcium to the mixture, for these grains, like corn, are higher in phosphorus, which is what makes them an option to swap out for a corn and wheat base. The white chia seed is the better choice, as the black chia is notably high in oxalates that lower calcium availability. https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Org.../dp/B001L7X1HA
    Ah, good points, thank you for all the info.
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 03-10-2021 at 06:47 AM.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to sundoesshine from:

Diggie's Friend (03-08-2021)