Thread: Abscess Popped

Default Abscess Popped

One of my wild squirrels had a very large access on its neck to its shoulder. I noticed today it has popped. However, it now looks like there’s a white reddish tissue-y thing hanging from where the abscess was. Is this normal? Will it fall off or will she bite it off? She comes nowhere near me so it would be difficult to treat with meds. I didn’t have my phone so I couldn’t get a pic. She ate an almond and then took off. It was disturbing to see, but I’m glad that huge mass is gone.

Default Re: Abscess Popped

Maria, the abscess draining is half of the battle.There is a good chance it will heal itself. A truckload of antibiotics won’t heal a huge abscess alone but draining does have to potential to make it self limiting.
    Keep watching. Possible the fleshy thing protruding from the wound will allow it to continue draining. You don’t want it to reseal and reform the abscess. I have treated a few wild squirrels with abscesses with antibiotics on avocado. It was nothing fancy or exact but it worked every time. The little boost was just enough for the body to complete the healing.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Mel1959 (12-06-2020), stepnstone (12-05-2020)