Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: What is this huge lump?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    NYC, Bronx
    Posts
    26
    Thanked: 15

    Default What is this huge lump?

    One of my wild ones. I feel so bad.
    Name:  8F307C37-8FEE-4588-9EC2-7CB20E5DA95A.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  154.8 KB

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    16,983
    Thanked: 6264

    Default Re: What is this huge lump?

    It is probably an abscess. Something probably bit him - may even have been another squirrel - and bacteria collected and is causing this. It looks to be too far back on the neck to be related to a tooth issue which is good. Frequently they will get larger and larger until they burst on their own - often the squirrels hurry this along by scratching at it.

    I would try to keep an eye on him and make sure he is eating well and acting normally. Treatment would involve catching him, lancing the wound and cleaning it out and then putting him on a round of antibiotics. Hopefully he will take care of this on his own...

  3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

    Buddy (12-02-2020)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    NYC, Bronx
    Posts
    26
    Thanked: 15

    Default Re: What is this huge lump?

    Thank you, thatís what I was hoping to hear. She definitely eats well and I will keep an eye on her.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    NYC, Bronx
    Posts
    26
    Thanked: 15

    Default Re: What is this huge lump?

    Two months ago a really little squirrel showed up in my yard by himself. Iíve been feeding him ever since and heís grown so much. After I posted the picture of the squirrel with the abscess, I noticed the little guy was snuggling with the abscessed one and she was grooming him. So I guess my question is...is it possible that sheís his mother and showed up after two months and theyíre reuniting? I found their interaction to be so sweet. Iíve never seen that with any of my backyard wilds.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The Cradle of Liberty
    Posts
    8,931
    Thanked: 1189

    Default Re: What is this huge lump?

    He might be a dwarf sibling. I have seen females take care of their (really) little brother who was not quite right. They would groom him until he pushed them away. Little Freddie. (sigh) The cat next door got him one summer evening. I loved that boy too.
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    East coast of Florida
    Posts
    7,169
    Thanked: 9807

    Default Re: What is this huge lump?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maria C View Post
    Two months ago a really little squirrel showed up in my yard by himself. Iíve been feeding him ever since and heís grown so much. After I posted the picture of the squirrel with the abscess, I noticed the little guy was snuggling with the abscessed one and she was grooming him. So I guess my question is...is it possible that sheís his mother and showed up after two months and theyíre reuniting? I found their interaction to be so sweet. Iíve never seen that with any of my backyard wilds.
    Have you observed how the little one is getting around? Can it climb and move ok? Dwarf squirrels donít climb or run well. You should always intervene if you suspect a squirrel is a dwarf and is compromised and canít maneuver well. They almost always become prey as JLM posted.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    NYC, Bronx
    Posts
    26
    Thanked: 15

    Default Re: What is this huge lump?

    The little guy isnít so little anymore. I donít think heís a dwarf, I just think he was young when he first appeared. He gets around quite well and is now chasing the bigger guys. I just found it so sweet the way he was interacting with the female.

  9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Maria C from:

    Diggie's Friend (12-04-2020)

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: What is this huge lump?

    Quote Originally Posted by JLM27 View Post
    He might be a dwarf sibling. I have seen females take care of their (really) little brother who was not quite right. They would groom him until he pushed them away. Little Freddie. (sigh) The cat next door got him one summer evening. I loved that boy too.
    Lols...Tyrion Squirellister

    On a serious note I wonder if they can have conjoined twins...

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    NYC, Bronx
    Posts
    26
    Thanked: 15

    Default Re: What is this huge lump?

    I work for a medical college and showed the picture to one of the doctors who happens to have a vet as a friend. She emailed the vet the picture and the official prognosis was either an abscess or sialocele.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Rivendell
    Posts
    901
    Thanked: 1259

    Default Re: What is this huge lump?

    Quote Originally Posted by Procyon Lotor View Post
    Lols...Tyrion Squirellister

    On a serious note I wonder if they can have conjoined twins...
    OMG the next little boy dwarf squirrel MUST be named that!


    Hmmmm. That is a good question. I wonder if it happens but there are too many issues that prevent them from living long enough to make it out of the nest.

    A gender question in another thread had me pondering whether hermaphroditism (or whatever you call it) ever pops up.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

    https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    NYC, Bronx
    Posts
    26
    Thanked: 15

    Default Re: What is this huge lump?

    I just saw the squirrel with the abscess. It definitely popped, but now thereís this whiteish tissue looking thing hanging from where the abscess was. Is this normal? Will it fall off? Will she chew it off? It seems to be bothering her and getting in the way, but sheís moving around pretty well. I didnít have my phone to snap a picture.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •