Thread: Worm Sticking Out?

Exclamation Worm Sticking Out?

Hi guys!
    Question about my friend Piggy. He is an outdoor squirrel, but comes inside multiple times a day to eat, play and get belly rubs.
    Yesterday, I noticed a worm sticking out of his butt. It was thin and tan. Carefully pulling on it, it broke off easily, and I was able to see around 6 inches of it before the rest either came out or went back in. He is eating very well and normally, and is acting his typical self.
    Could this be roundworm? Is there a difference between typical roundworm (as in cats) and raccoon roundworm?

Default Re: Worm Sticking Out? [PHOTO]

Photo:

Default Re: Worm Sticking Out?

PHOTO try #2

[IMG]https://imgur.com/a/VmXw2LG
    [/IMG]https://imgur.com/a/VmXw2LG

greypiggy, you were not fully registered to post a picture
    you are now so try again....
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Mel1959 (11-30-2020), TubeDriver (11-30-2020)

Regardless of whether this is raccoon or dog roundworm the treatment would be the same. I was recommended by my vet to use BOTH Fenbendazole (Panacur and Safeguard) and Pyrantel Pamoate (Nemex 2) to treat baby raccoons for roundworm. If this is raccoon roundworm which is typically a different species than dog roundworm, dosing with both meds will rid the squirrel of it. You can sometimes get both these meds at feed stores or Tractor Supply Stores. The Safe-guard will say it is for goats. You don’t want to dose according to the label for goats, you want to follow the dosing on the page I’ve attached for reference.

If you can’t locate these locally they can be purchased without a Rx online from Revival Animal Health or other pet supply companies online.

FYI, Safe-guard tastes terrible so it’s usually taken with resistance, Pyrantel tastes good and there’s usually no problem dosing.

You will have to do multiple treatments of each one in order to rid the squirrel of any eggs that may hatch.

Please note, the chart for Pyrantel is for the Nemex 2 brand which has a lower strength. For ease of dosing I’d get the Nemex 2 brand.

These pages came from The Wild Mammal baby book.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Rock Monkey (11-30-2020), TubeDriver (11-30-2020)