Thread: Possible bee/wasp sting

babysmom Guest

Exclamation Possible bee/wasp sting

Hi!

I'm new to the forum. Haven't looked you up because I tend to spend too much time on these things if I get started. We have a 3yo male fox squirrel ( I believe ) that was attacked by a dog when a bitty baby and has paralyzed front legs. He's was brought up by a lady we know who rehabilitates little ones who have fallen out of their nests and passed him along to us and is a doll! ( I told you I'd talk too much )

He was outside Wed, like we do every morning, for a while. He ate really good after coming in, slept and acted normal until yesterday morning. He didn't want to wake up, eat, drink - the more we watched him I knew he was sick. Well, he'd eat the tip of a grape - 3 to be exact, but not the whole thing. No water. I even tried it ice cold, which he prefers, to no avail. No diahrea, no vomitting. He squeaks when I touch him close to the head and we decided he's swollen (it took us a while to realize this because he has extra skin and fat there because of not being able to use those muscles like normal little guys ) there as well as one of his eyes, more than the other. Today he's better but not by much. At least he's wanting water but will not eat yet.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

skye Guest

Default Re: Possible bee/wasp sting

Hello There and welcome glad you joined us. I am sorry to hear about your little guy. It is hard to tell could be a wasp sting, can you see any scratch or open sore? maybe to hold cold cloth to the swelling may help and won't hurt him. I remember 2 years ago my Baby-Chance hurt pad of her front paw it was swollen and she wouldn't use it. I guess she did this on a wire not sure. But for 4 days 4 times a day I would use warm water with tea bag in it and small cloth she would want to hold while in the tea and also put tea bag to her foot and cuddle her, well after four days of that my little girl was running on all Fours and happy. I believe in the tea bag for many healings when comes to a open sore. I even use it on myself. I do hope others write and think what could be wrong with your baby and I pray he will be better soon. Please keep us inform. Good Luck and best wishes

CliffordandDaisy'sDad Guest

Welcome babysmom, it's good to have you aboard.

I don't know about the bee/wasp sting. It's been my experience that it hurts right then and you didn't hear him yelp when it happened.

I wonder if there's any chance it could have been a spider or something else after he went to bed. Also have you checked around his face and head for any scratches or any marks of any kind?

I know you're worried, I would be too. One thing, you say he's feeling a little better today. I know you're keeping a close eye on him, if there's any changes I would rush him to a vet.

babysmom Guest

Smile Re: Possible bee/wasp sting

Thanks, Skye,

There was a small cut but wrong side and days old, almost healed. We've been cuddling when he wakes up enough. It depends on how he responds when I check on him. Otherwise I'm trying to let him sleep it off. I think I'll try a compress though. Maybe a warm rag around his head if he'll stand it. Since we haven't found a wound..... if we do, I'll definitely try the tea... I've used that too.

Thanks for the welcome!

BTW - Baby is a fox squirrel. I checked the photos. He got the name Baby because he's such a big baby about everything

babysmom Guest

Smile Re: Possible bee/wasp sting

Quote Originally Posted by CliffordandDaisy'sDad
    Welcome babysmom, it's good to have you aboard.

I don't know about the bee/wasp sting. It's been my experience that it hurts right then and you didn't hear him yelp when it happened.

I wonder if there's any chance it could have been a spider or something else after he went to bed. Also have you checked around his face and head for any scratches or any marks of any kind?

I know you're worried, I would be too. One thing, you say he's feeling a little better today. I know you're keeping a close eye on him, if there's any changes I would rush him to a vet.

Thanks, Dad,

I might have run inside and not heard him. But I think my dd was outside...
    Haven't seen any spiders but I know that doesn't mean anything....
    I've checked him (everytime, poor thing) for whatever may show up....

Again, Thanks

Wait, I just remembered something.

I don't know if it's any where near close, but Clifford did almost that same thing one time.
    He had something in his eye. His eye was closed, but that side of his head was a little swollen and tender.
    The vet couldn't even find anything, she thought he might have scratched his eyeball on something, or had something in his eye that scratched it.

She gave me drops, and I did the compresses like Skye mentioned. Clifford was fine in about three days.

babysmom Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CliffordandDaisy'sDad
    Wait, I just remembered something.

I don't know if it's any where near close, but Clifford did almost that same thing one time.
    He had something in his eye. His eye was closed, but that side of his head was a little swollen and tender.
    The vet couldn't even find anything, she thought he might have scratched his eyeball on something, or had something in his eye that scratched it.

She gave me drops, and I did the compresses like Skye mentioned. Clifford was fine in about three days.

Hmmm? It was swollen and tender? Well, that could be a possibility. His eyes are wide open though when he's not asleep. Actually, my ds swears that Baby sleeps with his eyes open.
    I just got off the phone with his rescuer and we were talking about how he's definitely hurting but he's also famous for milking it for all it's worth . That's the reason for naming him Baby.

I wish I could help but I'm not coming up with any ideas. All I can do is keep you both in my thoughts tonight.
    ~ Squerly

TheSquirrelBoard.com

Honesty is chosing to make the right decision...
    Integrity is chosing to make the right decision even when it hurts...

You know what? that sounds like a fire ant.

sparkysmom Guest

Is it possible that it could be getting infected from the cut he had earlier?

babysmom Guest

Unhappy Re: Possible bee/wasp sting

Well, I'm sorry to end this relationship so soon. Baby is dead. Whatever he got ahold of or got ahold of him was too much for I guess. He was doing better. Or, so I thought. Drinking water but not interested in eating. More awake and aware today than yesterday. He didn't seem in as much pain but still wasn't feeling good. He was doing the same just a couple of hours ago. I was letting him sleep. Thought I'd check on him and he didn't wake up.

Thanks for all of your understanding and help.

Letha

p.s. I've got you bookmarked and will check in once in a while to see how the little guys are doing. I was looking forward to being here longer.

Oh Letha I'm so sorry. My heart is with you.

Letha, I'm very sorry to hear that Baby has died.

skye Guest

I am so very sorry to hear about Baby my heart goes out to you. Please know your in my thoughts and prayers and please hope you will still stay around here with us. God Bless

sparkysmom Guest

So sorry.

Default Re: Baby

I'm so, so very sorry, Letha.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

babysmom Guest

Red face Re: Possible bee/wasp sting

Thank you for all your support. I can't tell you how much it means to me.

I'm feeling better today,
    Letha

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.