Thread: ***Need help ASAP*** Scab and Hair loss 😔

Exclamation ***Need help ASAP*** Scab and Hair loss 😔

I am needing help...my little Oreo woke up yesterday with hair missing from one of her arms and one legs. After researching, I came to the conclusion that it was most likely lack of calcium/vitamin D. I purchased a light and gave her a little bit of a tums because her squirrel calcium will not arrive for a couple days. Which I also ordered a multi vitamin, healthy blocks etc.
    I have been following her diet of what to eat/what not to eat for days. But due to limited/non existent products locally I’ve had to order online. We’ve only had her for 9 days, she was found injured in our backyard and can’t use her back legs. We’ve also been giving her goats milk because she isn’t using either of the 2 water bottles I purchased.
    Help us please 🙏🏻💔🐿😔
    I also have pictures of her injuries if needed.Name:  6A50FDB2-CC12-4D71-B298-8F5217D60FC0.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  88.1 KBName:  0981CB8F-F0DF-4E41-AEE6-8471EEFF177D.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  120.1 KBName:  B0077961-9FF2-4899-B1B6-B4D9BE7AD6BF.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  105.7 KBName:  6A50FDB2-CC12-4D71-B298-8F5217D60FC0.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  88.1 KBName:  0981CB8F-F0DF-4E41-AEE6-8471EEFF177D.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  120.1 KBName:  B0077961-9FF2-4899-B1B6-B4D9BE7AD6BF.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  105.7 KB

Default Re: ***Need help ASAP*** Scab and Hair loss 😔

So this turned up over night? It looks to me as though she is chewing her legs - self mutilation. Is that what I am seeing? If so, it is likely that she has enough nerve action left in her legs that she is having phantom pains, tingling, etc., and is chewing to stop it.

Squirrels are very hard to put an e-collar on because their head and neck are about the same circumference and they slip right off. Some vets use a drug called gabapentin to combat this and administer it after surgery to prevent tearing at stitches.

Gabapentin is a human med and is not available OTC, so if I were you I would ask around - perhaps on FB so you get wider range - and see if you can get some. Several people here can help you to properly dilute and dose it if you can find some.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Clare (12-09-2020), HeatherEandOreo (11-29-2020)

The main problem is wild squirrels are illegal to have in my area. And the wildlife rescue place basically told me they would put her down because she wouldn’t heal enough to be released. 😡
    So.... I am basically doing this on my own. I am going to let her body heal before “someone else” decides she can’t recover. I have bought basically anything and everything she could possibly need or want.
    The hair loss started on her arm and a little on one leg 2 days ago. Yesterday the sore appeared. Today/within the last 5 hours the other leg had hair loss/skin issues.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HeatherEandOreo from:

Buddy (11-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherEandOreo View Post
    The main problem is wild squirrels are illegal to have in my area.
    Are you near Vancouver, WA? This place is top notch... it would be worth the drive for your little one's sake!
    https://squirrelrefuge.org/page45.html

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

HeatherEandOreo (11-30-2020)

Lightbulb Re: ***Need help ASAP*** Scab and Hair loss 😔

I am going to try to bandage her as much as possible and try to make a cone. We’ll see how this turns out 😬🤞🏻

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Are you near Vancouver, WA? This place is top notch... it would be worth the drive for your little one's sake!
    https://squirrelrefuge.org/page45.html
    Complete other side of the state....like 7-8 hours away.

Unhappy Re: ***Need help ASAP*** Scab and Hair loss 😔

So anyone have any guidance on vitamin’s/dosage I need to provide her for tonight?
    Or what I need to do ASAP?
    Thank you everyone for any and all help in advance. I feel helpless for her.

So anyone have any guidance on vitamin’s/dosage I need to provide her for tonight?
    Or what I need to do ASAP? Thank you everyone for any and all help in advance. I feel helpless for her.
    Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    So this turned up over night? It looks to me as though she is chewing her legs - self mutilation. Is that what I am seeing? If so, it is likely that she has enough nerve action left in her legs that she is having phantom pains, tingling, etc., and is chewing to stop it.

Gabapentin is a human med and is not available OTC, so if I were you I would ask around - perhaps on FB so you get wider range - and see if you can get some. Several people here can help you to properly dilute and dose it if you can find some.
    I do not believe this situation is due to lack of vitamins or where they would help.
    As CM suggested the chewing could likely be due to nerves, Gabapentin is used for nerve pain.
    Since this baby has paralyses I would also recommend treating with Prednisone. If this baby has
    a chance to regain use or at least partial use of it's legs it will benefit from Prednisone.

Also be aware that urine scald as well as milk scald will cause hair loss and irritation which
    requires these areas to be kept clean and dry. Especially with paralyses.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Clare (12-09-2020), HeatherEandOreo (11-29-2020)

Red face Re: ***Need help ASAP*** Scab and Hair loss 😔

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    I do not believe this situation is due to lack of vitamins or where they would help.
    As CM suggested the chewing could likely be due to nerves, Gabapentin is used for nerve pain.
    Since this baby has paralyses I would also recommend treating with Prednisone. If this baby has
    a chance to regain use or at least partial use of it's legs it will benefit from Prednisone.

Also be aware that urine scald as well as milk scald will cause hair loss and irritation which
    requires these areas to be kept clean and dry. Especially with paralyses.
    Thank you for your response! I have been wiping her down semi regularly after she goes to the bathroom and her face when she eats. I also change her bedding/anything wet whenever it’s wet (typically 3-4 times a day). After looking at other post I believe CM is correct also. I am currently making an e collar from directions on another post.
    What are your thoughts on medication for her leg? Cream etc. I also have silver and other wound treatment things available.
    As for medication, I have tramadol...I may be able to find something else too.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HeatherEandOreo from:

stepnstone (11-30-2020)

I have Gabapentin. Where to send?

16. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TomahawkFlyers:

Chirps (11-30-2020), Clare (12-09-2020), HeatherEandOreo (11-30-2020), Rock Monkey (11-30-2020), stepnstone (11-30-2020)

Neurotin is a great medicine for dealing with nerve pain. I also have it. I use it for my RSD. I don't know how it affects animals that take it but one of the side affects is hallucination, which happens to me. Nothing bad so far, but I've had wonderful conversations with wonderful people who were not really there 😂 and one time I swore I just made tuna salad and wanted to know what happened to it. I don't know what king if any hallucinations a squirrel might have. Hugs to your baby and prayers for healing
    To all my babies past and present..
    Thank you for showing me how to love
    and be loved unconditionally....
    RIP Timothy

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TinyPaws from:

What are your thoughts on medication for her leg? Cream etc. I also have silver and other wound treatment things available. As for medication, I have tramadol...I may be able to find something else too.
    Since we suspect she is/has chewed the area the safest application would be a diluted betadine solution. (povidone-iodine)
    This can kill germs that cause infection and also promote healthy healing.
    You can use Tramadol for pain in general. We would need a weight on the squirrel and the milligrams of the Tramadol to properly dose.

Quote Originally Posted by TinyPaws View Post
    Neurotin is a great medicine for dealing with nerve pain.
    Gabapentin
    Brand name: Neurontin
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Quote Originally Posted by TomahawkFlyers View Post
    A member has generously offered to send you Gabapentin. This and prednisone offer the best chance for recovery of your little one. You can send your address to Tomahawkflyers in a private message. Private messages are accessed from the top of the screen under notifications.

Thank you for helping her.

22. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (11-30-2020), HeatherEandOreo (11-30-2020), stepnstone (11-30-2020)

Red face Re: ***Need help ASAP*** Scab and Hair loss 😔

Thank you everyone for your help and guidance! I am going to keep a close eye on her.

Quote Originally Posted by TomahawkFlyers View Post
    I sent you a message, thank you, thank you! I appreciate your help and kindness.

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HeatherEandOreo:

Buddy (12-03-2020), Mel1959 (11-30-2020)