Thread: Scab covering nostrils!

Hybrid View

Default Scab covering nostrils!

Hi all, Iím brand new to the forum and am also new to rehabilitating squirrels! I have a 5 week old grey squirrel that was found 2 days ago. He fell out of a tree and must have landed on his nose (obvious due to the blood and slight swelling). He eats fine, goes to the bathroom on his own and has been fairly active since opening his eyes yesterday. However, today it seems his nose is healing and scabbing over. Meaning both nostrils are shut! Heís breathing through his mouth now.. the poor thing. He sneezes every so often and I suspected he was sick until I took a closer look at his nose. Will he be alright to wait it out until the scab falls off? Iím not sure what to do, I want to do anything I can to help him breathe better. Any advice helps.. thank you!

Default Re: Scab covering nostrils!

Use a warm cotton ball or cotton square and gently remove the scabbing or dried blood that is covering his nostrils.

Here is the link to squirrel care. Itís 6 pages long with the next page button on the right. https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

What formula are you feeding? If this baby just opened his eyes a couple of days ago he will need to be fed formula for about 7 more weeks.

Do you want to care for this little one yourself or do you want to find a rehabber for him. He will have to be overwintered until spring when temperatures are warmer and there are leaves on the trees.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Alexandra0311 (11-29-2020), Buddy (11-29-2020)

Maybe a bit of coconut oil can help with the scabbing/healing too. I'd put a little bit after cleaning.
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Maybe a bit of coconut oil can help with the scabbing/healing too. I'd put a little bit after cleaning.
    I can run and pick some up that might work a little better. This scab is persistent.. I want to clear his airway as soon as possible without causing discomfort.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Alexandra0311 from:

Buddy (11-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Update: I managed to clear his nostrils with a little dab of coconut oil and warm water on a cotton round! He still has a scab above his nose, but I decided to give him a break with at least his nostrils clear.. His little wheeze went away and he isnít mouth breathing anymore. Heís still a little sneezy, but with an injury to his nose and having just cleared his airway, I know thatís common. I will definitely keep you all updated.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Alexandra0311 from:

Buddy (11-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra0311 View Post
    Update: I managed to clear his nostrils with a little dab of coconut oil and warm water on a cotton round! He still has a scab above his nose, but I decided to give him a break with at least his nostrils clear.. His little wheeze went away and he isnít mouth breathing anymore. Heís still a little sneezy, but with an injury to his nose and having just cleared his airway, I know thatís common. I will definitely keep you all updated.
    As long as his nostrils are clear leave the scab above his nose to allow it to heal.
    Keeping it clean with no signs of infection it shouldn't be a concern.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra0311 View Post
    His little wheeze went away and he isn’t mouth breathing anymore. He’s still a little sneezy, but with an injury to his nose and having just cleared his airway, I know that’s common. I will definitely keep you all updated.
    Had it been raining in the days before you found him?

A squirrel that young on its own has likely lost its mother, which means he hadn't been nursed for a while before deciding to leave the nest. He would likely have been dehydrated, thus would be seeking out water. Young juveniles are notoriously incompetent when it comes to drinking from pools of water. They often aspirate themselves, meaning that some of the water goes into their nose or lungs. This can lead to aspiration pneumonia.

If the injury to the nose occurred prior to the squirrel attempting to drink from a pool of water it would almost certainly aspirate itself since it would have been incapable of breathing through its nose.

My concern is that the sneezing can be a sign of aspiration. To be on the safe side, considering how quick and deadly aspiration pneumonia can be in young squirrels, I would suggest beginning a treatment of antibiotics. You can contact an admin for the proper dosing.

You will need the squirrel's weight. A digital food scale can be purchased for under $20 at places like Walmart. You will need one anyways to figure out the proper amount of formula to give. In the meantime keep him warm either with the heating pad setup described in the basic care guide or by tucking him between layers of your clothing, keeping him upright which facilitates breathing for those with pneumonia. Even if he didn't have pneumonia at this age he requires a supplementary heat source.

Here is a list of antibiotics that are effective for pneumonia.

Baytril (animal)/Cipro (human), Clavamox (animal)/augmentin (human) are drugs that are used frequently for upper respiratory infections.

Baytril: Enrofloxacin, A member of the fluoroquinolone class. Made by Bayer
    Cipro (Ciloxan, Neofloxin) Ciprofloxacin, a broad-spectrum antibiotic of the fluoroquinolone class. Available as a generic.
    Clavamox: amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium
    Augmentin: AMOXICILLIN/CLAVULANIC ACID

You will likely need one or two pills of the human antibiotics. Members often call friends and family to see if they have any left over.

Some may disagree with this assessment, but given the risk/reward assessment, I believe it to be the conservative course of action.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Use a warm cotton ball or cotton square and gently remove the scabbing or dried blood that is covering his nostrils.

Here is the link to squirrel care. Itís 6 pages long with the next page button on the right. https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

What formula are you feeding? If this baby just opened his eyes a couple of days ago he will need to be fed formula for about 7 more weeks.

Do you want to care for this little one yourself or do you want to find a rehabber for him. He will have to be overwintered until spring when temperatures are warmer and there are leaves on the trees.
    Iíve been trying to loosen the scab with warm, damp cotton balls. Itís just really stuck on there and I donít want to hurt him at all. I work at a veterinary hospital and one of the doctors is rehabing a squirrel herself. She gave me Esbilac formula that i prepare in a 1:2 ratio. As far as caring for him, Iím more than willing to do so until he is able to be released.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Alexandra0311 from:

Buddy (11-29-2020)