Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scab covering nostrils!

Default Scab covering nostrils!

Hi all, I’m brand new to the forum and am also new to rehabilitating squirrels! I have a 5 week old grey squirrel that was found 2 days ago. He fell out of a tree and must have landed on his nose (obvious due to the blood and slight swelling). He eats fine, goes to the bathroom on his own and has been fairly active since opening his eyes yesterday. However, today it seems his nose is healing and scabbing over. Meaning both nostrils are shut! He’s breathing through his mouth now.. the poor thing. He sneezes every so often and I suspected he was sick until I took a closer look at his nose. Will he be alright to wait it out until the scab falls off? I’m not sure what to do, I want to do anything I can to help him breathe better. Any advice helps.. thank you!

Default Re: Scab covering nostrils!

Use a warm cotton ball or cotton square and gently remove the scabbing or dried blood that is covering his nostrils.

Here is the link to squirrel care. It’s 6 pages long with the next page button on the right. https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

What formula are you feeding? If this baby just opened his eyes a couple of days ago he will need to be fed formula for about 7 more weeks.

Do you want to care for this little one yourself or do you want to find a rehabber for him. He will have to be overwintered until spring when temperatures are warmer and there are leaves on the trees.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Alexandra0311 (11-29-2020), Buddy (11-29-2020)

Maybe a bit of coconut oil can help with the scabbing/healing too. I'd put a little bit after cleaning.
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Use a warm cotton ball or cotton square and gently remove the scabbing or dried blood that is covering his nostrils.

Here is the link to squirrel care. It’s 6 pages long with the next page button on the right. https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

What formula are you feeding? If this baby just opened his eyes a couple of days ago he will need to be fed formula for about 7 more weeks.

Do you want to care for this little one yourself or do you want to find a rehabber for him. He will have to be overwintered until spring when temperatures are warmer and there are leaves on the trees.
    I’ve been trying to loosen the scab with warm, damp cotton balls. It’s just really stuck on there and I don’t want to hurt him at all. I work at a veterinary hospital and one of the doctors is rehabing a squirrel herself. She gave me Esbilac formula that i prepare in a 1:2 ratio. As far as caring for him, I’m more than willing to do so until he is able to be released.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Alexandra0311 from:

Buddy (11-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Maybe a bit of coconut oil can help with the scabbing/healing too. I'd put a little bit after cleaning.
    I can run and pick some up that might work a little better. This scab is persistent.. I want to clear his airway as soon as possible without causing discomfort.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Alexandra0311 from:

Buddy (11-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Update: I managed to clear his nostrils with a little dab of coconut oil and warm water on a cotton round! He still has a scab above his nose, but I decided to give him a break with at least his nostrils clear.. His little wheeze went away and he isn’t mouth breathing anymore. He’s still a little sneezy, but with an injury to his nose and having just cleared his airway, I know that’s common. I will definitely keep you all updated.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Alexandra0311 from:

Buddy (11-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra0311 View Post
    Update: I managed to clear his nostrils with a little dab of coconut oil and warm water on a cotton round! He still has a scab above his nose, but I decided to give him a break with at least his nostrils clear.. His little wheeze went away and he isn’t mouth breathing anymore. He’s still a little sneezy, but with an injury to his nose and having just cleared his airway, I know that’s common. I will definitely keep you all updated.
    As long as his nostrils are clear leave the scab above his nose to allow it to heal.
    Keeping it clean with no signs of infection it shouldn't be a concern.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

So his nostrils are clear, but now he seems to have some congestion. Every now and again, he gets a stuffy nose that I clear with a warm, damp cotton round. He’s fine for a while but the mucus builds up again just like when a human has allergies. His nose is still a bit swollen.. is there anything I can give this sweet baby to relieve the mucus/congestion?

His little wheeze went away and he isn’t mouth breathing anymore. He’s still a little sneezy, but with an injury to his nose and having just cleared his airway, I know that’s common. I will definitely keep you all updated.
    Had it been raining in the days before you found him?

A squirrel that young on its own has likely lost its mother, which means he hadn't been nursed for a while before deciding to leave the nest. He would likely have been dehydrated, thus would be seeking out water. Young juveniles are notoriously incompetent when it comes to drinking from pools of water. They often aspirate themselves, meaning that some of the water goes into their nose or lungs. This can lead to aspiration pneumonia.

If the injury to the nose occurred prior to the squirrel attempting to drink from a pool of water it would almost certainly aspirate itself since it would have been incapable of breathing through its nose.

My concern is that the sneezing can be a sign of aspiration. To be on the safe side, considering how quick and deadly aspiration pneumonia can be in young squirrels, I would suggest beginning a treatment of antibiotics. You can contact an admin for the proper dosing.

You will need the squirrel's weight. A digital food scale can be purchased for under $20 at places like Walmart. You will need one anyways to figure out the proper amount of formula to give. In the meantime keep him warm either with the heating pad setup described in the basic care guide or by tucking him between layers of your clothing, keeping him upright which facilitates breathing for those with pneumonia. Even if he didn't have pneumonia at this age he requires a supplementary heat source.

Here is a list of antibiotics that are effective for pneumonia.

Baytril (animal)/Cipro (human), Clavamox (animal)/augmentin (human) are drugs that are used frequently for upper respiratory infections.

Baytril: Enrofloxacin, A member of the fluoroquinolone class. Made by Bayer
    Cipro (Ciloxan, Neofloxin) Ciprofloxacin, a broad-spectrum antibiotic of the fluoroquinolone class. Available as a generic.
    Clavamox: amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium
    Augmentin: AMOXICILLIN/CLAVULANIC ACID

You will likely need one or two pills of the human antibiotics. Members often call friends and family to see if they have any left over.

Some may disagree with this assessment, but given the risk/reward assessment, I believe it to be the conservative course of action.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Had it been raining in the days before you found him?

A squirrel that young on its own has likely lost its mother, which means he hadn't been nursed for a while before deciding to leave the nest. He would likely have been dehydrated, thus would be seeking out water. Young juveniles are notoriously incompetent when it comes to drinking from pools of water. They often aspirate themselves, meaning that some of the water goes into their nose or lungs. This can lead to aspiration pneumonia.

If the injury to the nose occurred prior to the squirrel attempting to drink from a pool of water it would almost certainly aspirate itself since it would have been incapable of breathing through its nose.

My concern is that the sneezing can be a sign of aspiration. To be on the safe side, considering how quick and deadly aspiration pneumonia can be in young squirrels, I would suggest beginning a treatment of antibiotics. You can contact an admin for the proper dosing.

You will need the squirrel's weight. A digital food scale can be purchased for under $20 at places like Walmart. You will need one anyways to figure out the proper amount of formula to give. In the meantime keep him warm either with the heating pad setup described in the basic care guide or by tucking him between layers of your clothing, keeping him upright which facilitates breathing for those with pneumonia. Even if he didn't have pneumonia at this age he requires a supplementary heat source.

Here is a list of antibiotics that are effective for pneumonia.

Baytril (animal)/Cipro (human), Clavamox (animal)/augmentin (human) are drugs that are used frequently for upper respiratory infections.

Baytril: Enrofloxacin, A member of the fluoroquinolone class. Made by Bayer
    Cipro (Ciloxan, Neofloxin) Ciprofloxacin, a broad-spectrum antibiotic of the fluoroquinolone class. Available as a generic.
    Clavamox: amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium
    Augmentin: AMOXICILLIN/CLAVULANIC ACID

You will likely need one or two pills of the human antibiotics. Members often call friends and family to see if they have any left over.

Some may disagree with this assessment, but given the risk/reward assessment, I believe it to be the conservative course of action.
    It rains often here in SC, but I don’t recall any rain when he was brought in. His nose only started producing this mucus last night when I was able to clear the scab from his nostrils. He allows me to clear the mucus when it builds up. He was still warm and not hypoglycemic when he was brought to me. I gave him warm water for a bit then started formula and he’s had a good appetite since hydrating. I also have him in a cozy heated blanket with a warming pouch. As far as weight, I work in a vet hospital and they will allow me to weigh him today. I can see if they’d be willing to help me with antibiotics as well. They have a few doctors that work with wildlife.

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Alexandra0311:

Buddy (11-30-2020), stepnstone (11-30-2020)

Also, am I correct in assuming that you are feeding the squirrel with a syringe?

A one cc syringe is preferable as it substantially reduces the chance of aspiration while feeding. Given any difficulty breathing through the nose, you would definitely want to give formula very slowly, giving him a chance to catch his breath in between.

Below is a good video on feeding technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLjR...relsandmorellc

FYI Aspiration pneumonia is the number one killer of juvenile squirrels being cared for by novice step parents, unfortunately. So the video above has a lot of good information.

Also, am I correct in assuming that you are feeding the squirrel with a syringe?

A one cc syringe is preferable as it substantially reduces the chance of aspiration while feeding. Given any difficulty breathing through the nose, you would definitely want to give formula very slowly, giving him a chance to catch his breath in between.

Below is a good video on feeding technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLjR...relsandmorellc

FYI Aspiration pneumonia is the number one killer of juvenile squirrels being cared for by novice step parents, unfortunately. So the video above has a lot of good information.
    Yes I feed him with a 1cc syringe and I only squeeze out a few drops at a time. Especially with his nose having been scabbed over and now stuffy, I’ve bern careful to take it slow and only squeeze out what he can swallow. My concern is that he’s sounded like this since I got him.. but it’s so hard to tell with his nose being compromised

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Alexandra0311 from:

Buddy (12-01-2020)

The young juvenile will often wait several days, hoping that mom will return, before leaving the nest. At which time they are always hungry and usually thirsty. So they are torn between their instinct to stay in the tree and to go down and look for food and water. Sadly, this forum is filled with squirrels and their caretakers who are struggling with aspiration pneumonia and the issue usually isn't addressed until it is too late.

You describe him as being wheezy at one point in time, that may be a sign of the pneumonia or the injury or both.

Yes I feed him with a 1cc syringe and I only squeeze out a few drops at a time. Especially with his nose having been scabbed over and now stuffy, I’ve bern careful to take it slow and only squeeze out what he can swallow. My concern is that he’s sounded like this since I got him.. but it’s so hard to tell with his nose being compromised
    That's great that you have a one cc syringe and are being careful. That is exactly what he needs.

It is difficult to know what is causing these breathing symptoms, but if you assume that the squirrel doesn't have aspiration pneumonia and it does there is a strong chance that it will die. In my opinion, that isn't a risk worth taking, because the squirrel will be dead and you will feel terrible. Sadly, been there, done that. That story has been repeated on this forum too many times, unfortunately.

That's great that you have a one cc syringe and are being careful. That is exactly what he needs.

It is difficult to know what is causing these breathing symptoms, but if you assume that the squirrel doesn't have aspiration pneumonia and it does there is a strong chance that it will die. In my opinion, that isn't a risk worth taking, because the squirrel will be dead and you will feel terrible. Sadly, been there, done that. That story has been repeated on this forum too many times, unfortunately.
    I’ve been reading a few of those and it breaks my heart. I would rather be safe than sorry and get this little boy some precautionary help. Like I said, I will see if the doctors at my hospital are willing to help. I’m more than willing to do everything and spend anything to help him.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Alexandra0311 from:

Buddy (12-01-2020)

The young juvenile will often wait several days, hoping that mom will return, before leaving the nest. At which time they are always hungry and usually thirsty. So they are torn between their instinct to stay in the tree and to go down and look for food and water. Sadly, this forum is filled with squirrels and their caretakers who are struggling with aspiration pneumonia and the issue usually isn't addressed until it is too late.

You describe him as being wheezy at one point in time, that may be a sign of the pneumonia or the injury or both.
    Would it help if i steamed up the bathroom and let him get some of the steam?

Would it help if i steamed up the bathroom and let him get some of the steam?
    Yes, that should help.

One of the most effective things you can do, if practical, it to tuck him between layers of clothing on your torso. They cling to the fabric. This usually keeps them upright, it warms them and it reassures them. At this age they are used to snuggling with Mom and siblings all of the time. They can feel you breathing and hear your heartbeat. This lifts their spirits and makes them feel safe.

Helen would nestle between my shoulder blades, so the movement of my arms wouldn't jostle her. This way you always know how he is doing.

If you can get the antibiotics one of the administrators on this forum can tell you how much and how to administer them.

Aspiration pneumonia can worsen very quickly in juvenile squirrels. They can seem fine the night before and on death's door the next morning. So it is a condition that should definitely be treated proactively rather that after it has become alarming because then it is usually too late.

Yes, that should help.

One of the most effective things you can do, if practical, it to tuck him between layers of clothing on your torso. They cling to the fabric. This usually keeps them upright, it warms them and it reassures them. At this age they are used to snuggling with Mom and siblings all of the time. They can feel you breathing and hear your heartbeat. This lifts their spirits and makes them feel safe.

Helen would nestle between my shoulder blades, so the movement of my arms wouldn't jostle her. This way you always know how he is doing.

If you can get the antibiotics one of the administrators on this forum can tell you how much and how to administer them.

Aspiration pneumonia can worsen very quickly in juvenile squirrels. They can seem fine the night before and on death's door the next morning. So it is a condition that should definitely be treated proactively rather that after it has become alarming because then it is usually too late.
    I usually keep him on my chest under my sweater. He definitely likes it there. I will keep you updated on what the doctors at the vet say. They love this little guy as much as I do so hopefully they’ll have something

It wouldn't hurt. Get it steamy, THEN bring him in - the sound of running water like that can scare them.

If your docs say no to Baytril, you can substitute Cipro, the human drug. They are extremely similar, and cipro is pretty popular for UTIs so sometimes you can find a friend with some. You only need one pill. With the size in milligrams of the pill (Cipro is available in 250 and 500mg sizes) and the weight in grams of your squirrel, someone here can privately send you directions for proper dilution and dosing. The clogging is very likely related to getting his snoot injured, but I would tend to dose any baby that is having breathing problems because if you are wrong it can be disastrous.

You can also use Children's strength (12.5mg/5ml) Benadryl liquid. It should help dry up the secretions. Again, need the weight and we can dose for you.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Buddy (12-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    It wouldn't hurt. Get it steamy, THEN bring him in - the sound of running water like that can scare them.

If your docs say no to Baytril, you can substitute Cipro, the human drug. They are extremely similar, and cipro is pretty popular for UTIs so sometimes you can find a friend with some. You only need one pill. With the size in milligrams of the pill (Cipro is available in 250 and 500mg sizes) and the weight in grams of your squirrel, someone here can privately send you directions for proper dilution and dosing. The clogging is very likely related to getting his snoot injured, but I would tend to dose any baby that is having breathing problems because if you are wrong it can be disastrous.

You can also use Children's strength (12.5mg/5ml) Benadryl liquid. It should help dry up the secretions. Again, need the weight and we can dose for you.
    This is super helpful! I will weigh him at work today and have the doctor assess him. I go in at 2 pm and his next feeding is at 2:30 so I’ll have some time to update you on weight and the doctor’s word. Fingers crossed they’ll help.

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Alexandra0311 from:

stepnstone (11-30-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast