Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scab covering nostrils!

Default Re: Scab covering nostrils!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra0311 View Post
    I will keep you updated on what the doctors at the vet say. They love this little guy as much as I do so hopefully they’ll have something
    When do you expect to see the vet?

(Also, you want to make sure that this isn't a vet that will require you to turn them over to them, allowing them to decide whether it lives or dies.) Every state is different and, it seems, every vet is different.

Yeah, squirrels definitely do not like the sound of quickly moving water.

Also, the experienced members of this forum have likely far more familiar with squirrel health issues than most vets, some of whom can be close minded and intolerant of anyone who questions their assessment. (but it sounds like it isn't that sort of vet, but just putting out the potential issues in advance.)

The doctors are willing to look at little Rigby. His weight is exactly 4.0 oz when I weighed him today. They’re worried he’s too young for antibiotics, but don’t want to take the chance of not taking action. When they’re done with his examination, I will update what treatment they recommend.

His weight is exactly 4.0 oz when I weighed him today.
    They’re worried he’s too young for antibiotics,
    He's 113 grams and...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Mel1959 (11-30-2020)

. We have definitely dosed babies weighing less than 113gr with antibiotics. Many vets are uncertain about dosing something so small, but the rehabbers on this forum will be able to.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Alexandra0311 (11-30-2020), Rock Monkey (11-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    . We have definitely dosed babies weighing less than 113gr with antibiotics. Many vets are uncertain about dosing something so small, but the rehabbers on this forum will be able to.
    I agree, I think some antibiotics would be beneficial to him.. he still has a good appetite and is active enough to fight the after meal cleaning. He even explores a little. They think the nasal discharge is due to the trauma to his nose. They plan to give him a little cerenia/ saline and see if that helps.

Properly dosed, which the admins here have plenty of experience doing for small squirrels like yours, the antibiotics will not harm the squirrel. If the squirrel has aspiration pneumonia and isn't given antibiotics it may be doomed. If the squirrel has aspiration pneumonia, the longer you wait, the less the chance of turning this around. AP can be nasty fast in squirrels.

The vast majority of squirrels taken on by rehabbers on this site are often very similar in age to Rigby when initially taken in and they often have some issues.

I agree, I think some antibiotics would be beneficial to him.. he still has a good appetite and is active enough to fight the after meal cleaning. He even explores a little. They think the nasal discharge is due to the trauma to his nose. They plan to give him a little cerenia/ saline and see if that helps.
    The antibiotics will need to be administered over the course of several days. Will the vet give you some Baytril or Clavamox? The admins can explain how to administer it via personal message. The best time to treat is while he is still relatively strong.

Given the symptoms you describe it is likely that Rigby is struggling with both a blunt force injury and the side effects of aspiration.

The doctor listened to his lungs, checked the mucus and watched his behavior today. They said the symptoms are due to the trauma since there is no fluid in his lungs and breathing returns to normal after nasal cleaning. They gave me cerenia and I’m bringing him to work with me every day. They will monitor him and if there is no improvement within the day on cerenia, they will give antibiotics.

11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Alexandra0311:

Mel1959 (11-30-2020), stepnstone (11-30-2020), TubeDriver (12-01-2020)

Glad to hear that Rigby is being monitored closely.

How's Rigby doing today?

Red face Re: Scab covering nostrils!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    How's Rigby doing today?
    Rigby is doing AMAZING! I’m sorry I haven’t been been active in a bit. I’m opening and closing back to back so no sleep to be had. Rigby’s nose is really clearing up with the cerenia nasal drops. No more mucus! The scab is also healing very nicely and slowly coming off. He is very active and starting to explore his environment. Rigby also started sampling some mashed fruits and veggies with his formula at meal time. I can’t thank you all enough for the advice and care you put into this forum. It feels good knowing I always have somewhere to turn.

15. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Alexandra0311:

Buddy (12-04-2020), Mel1959 (12-04-2020), stepnstone (12-03-2020)

That's great news!

They are great cuddlers at Rigby's age. As you will find out, they are not simple creatures and they present a steep learning curve to their caretakers. The are fearless explorers and this often gets them in trouble and it can be a challenge to anticipate what trouble they might get into. It is an evolving challenge. They are gluttons for attention and will gladly take negative attention if they can't get positive attention and love to run around at full speed. They play rough but they do understand the word "No". They are also very sensitive to your emotions, this can spiral up or spiral down.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    That's great news!

They are great cuddlers at Rigby's age. As you will find out, they are not simple creatures and they present a steep learning curve to their caretakers. The are fearless explorers and this often gets them in trouble and it can be a challenge to anticipate what trouble they might get into. It is an evolving challenge. They are gluttons for attention and will gladly take negative attention if they can't get positive attention and love to run around at full speed. They play rough but they do understand the word "No". They are also very sensitive to your emotions, this can spiral up or spiral down.
    This is definitely something I’m learning lol. It really is amazing to watch him get better at climbing, balancing and burrowing in blankets! And you’re absolutely right about him being in touch with our emotions. This morning, I had the worst headache ever! I had to lie on the couch and there Rigby was, curled right under my chin. It was like he couldn’t be close enough.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Alexandra0311 from:

Mel1959 (12-04-2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12