Thread: Feeding Releases through Winter

Default Feeding Releases through Winter

Just a couple questions since this is my first winter with releases that I know are still coming to their feeding place.

What does your menu look like ?

What does your feeding set up look like?

What about bad weather ( wind and rain)? If they are used to having food and fresh water provided, will they even bother to come out of their nests ( do I need to bother) if it’s cold/windy/raining? I’m not trying to be unfair /lazy to the other critters who I know eat the leftovers at night ( I usually find their dishes tipped over and droppings from ??) But I try and save every crumb of block and veggie that the NR’s don’t eat and recycle for my wild boys. Things are kind of tight here I can’t be wasteful.

Next week we are having our first below freezing temps and I guess I’m just worried for my tree babies. I see three fairly often. I’m sure they’ll be just fine, but I still go out everyday I possibly can with food and fresh water , unless it’s a complete downpour.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

Buddy (11-28-2020)

Default Re: Feeding Releases through Winter

I face this dilemma every year, but my release sites are 20 miles from home. I go every other day.
    I put out dark greens that stay fresh a long time, like kale -- also cut up butternut squash,apples or pears besides "good" nuts like almonds and walnuts. I alternate nuts in shell and out of shell -- they will eat the ones out of the shell and stash the others, so sometimes I want to make sure they actually eat and not bury everything. I also put out Henry's Wild Bites.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Buddy (11-28-2020), Snicker Bar (11-28-2020), stepnstone (11-28-2020)

Wow... a twenty mile drive! That’s dedication ; I have just a short walk . Ok , I didn’t think of that (adding nuts in the shell to stash... They should be coming to stores soon now. They were used to eating ON the RC but we had to move it to overwinter two more. I learned quickly they don’t like change. I set up a platform with their familiar dishes, and a piece of wood sort of propped over the dishes . They didn’t like this at first , but soon figured out food was still coming . I want Jon to build something a little better for protection from wind and rain and eyes (hawks) if any have come up with some creative feeding pads post your designs

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

Scooterzmom (11-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    Wow... a twenty mile drive! That’s dedication ; I have just a short walk . Ok , I didn’t think of that (adding nuts in the shell to stash... They should be coming to stores soon now. They were used to eating ON the RC but we had to move it to overwinter two more. I learned quickly they don’t like change. I set up a platform with their familiar dishes, and a piece of wood sort of propped over the dishes . They didn’t like this at first , but soon figured out food was still coming . I want Jon to build something a little better for protection from wind and rain and eyes (hawks) if any have come up with some creative feeding pads post your designs
    You may want to check out NutsAboutSquirrels.net, a good friend of Tsb owns that and he makes wonderful stuff for squirrels... nest boxes, feeders etc... worth checking out.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scooterzmom:

Buddy (11-29-2020), Snicker Bar (11-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom View Post
    You may want to check out NutsAboutSquirrels.net, a good friend of Tsb owns that and he makes wonderful stuff for squirrels... nest boxes, feeders etc... worth checking out.
    Yes, that's Jay, right? His boxes are awesome; we put up three where I work, about 5 years ago, and all are still up and being used!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Scooterzmom (11-28-2020), Snicker Bar (11-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    Ok , I didn’t think of that (adding nuts in the shell to stash... They should be coming to stores soon now.
    Check out www.anuts.com. There prices are reasonable and you can get a variety of nuts by the pound. Packaging is simple, but why pay for that.

So this will help them build better, bigger stashes, thus increasing their chances of getting through the winter. You might consider making something that has visibility through the use of hardware cloth but a small opening to prevent bigger creatures from taking the food you put out.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

island rehabber (11-28-2020), Snicker Bar (11-28-2020)

Thank you so much!!

And Jon says thank you also .... He needs a squirrel project break

Sorry, but I believe that source is from China, which if not organic has been fumigated with toxins.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Sorry, but I believe that source is from China, which if not organic has been fumigated with toxins.

At anuts.com (and Argires Snacks), most of our nuts are grown in the United States. Only cashews and macadamias come from other countries.

DF, if you mean anuts.com, this is from their website. I'd say no worries because nobody should be giving their squirrels cashews or macadamia nuts anyway.

I personally like nuts.com the best -- a little higher priced but such a great company and great quality nuts. USA grown.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Mel1959 (11-29-2020), Snicker Bar (11-29-2020)

I’ll definitely check this out and the feeders too. If they are more economical than buying the bags from the baking section of the grocery, that would be amazing. I want them to be able to eat without food getting wet and wasted . My make shift contraption I have out there now is ok but I want something better. Putting a new feeder on my Santa list .

DF thanks for Chinese warning ; don’t want ANYTHING ELSE from China, that’s for sure!! Jon , myself and two kids just got over the COVID

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom View Post
    That's where I got Buddy's nest box. It's very well made. Buddy made already bunch of customization to it though...

And yes, Jay was very helpful!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Buddy:

Snicker Bar (11-29-2020), sundoesshine (01-10-2021)