Thread: wild squirrel abcess

Default wild squirrel abcess

when a wild one that's been coming around regularly to the feeder shows up sick, it's terrible to see when he won't let you do anything for him, except maybe if he gets too weak, and by then it's probably too late to help him. Name:  20201123_083319.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  117.3 KB

(sorry about the photo being off)

Default Re: wild squirrel abcess

The squirrel looks plump enough. If the squirrel is healthy the abscess should resolve on its own without fatal consequences.

How is the squirrel's movement? Its energy level? Does it seem debilitated?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    The squirrel looks plump enough. If the squirrel is healthy the abscess should resolve on its own without fatal consequences.
    How is the squirrel's movement? Its energy level? Does it seem debilitated?
    He seems to be doing well, running at full speed, good appetite. The abcess has gotten somewhat bigger since we first noticed it. We don’t know exactly where his nest is, although I could find it now that the leaves are down, but even so (and with the hav-a-hart trap) it seems pretty inconceivable to try to catch him. Since he comes close, nearly hand-feed close, can we put an anti-biotic or some medication (correctly dosed) in his food?

Quote Originally Posted by Golfinho View Post
    Since he comes close, nearly hand-feed close, can we put an anti-biotic or some medication (correctly dosed) in his food?
    That's a possibility. Regarding the dosage and whether it is needful, you should contact one of the site's administrators.

Since he comes close, nearly hand-feed close, can we put an anti-biotic or some medication (correctly dosed) in his food?
    Squirrels have been treated in the wild by lacing a nut with an anti- biotic.
    I recently treated one of my wilds with clavamox that had a large abscess on her head,
    once I started treating it broke/drained in 3 days.
    Search around and see what kind of ab you can come up with, we can tell you if it can
    be used and how to break down and dose.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Squirrels have been treated in the wild by lacing a nut with an anti- biotic.
    I recently treated one of my wilds with clavamox that had a large abscess on her head,
    once I started treating it broke/drained in 3 days.
    Search around and see what kind of ab you can come up with, we can tell you if it can
    be used and how to break down and dose.
    only Baytril 10% in liquid suspension.

I’d be curious to know if are there any human antibiotics which may be helpful? not that we have any laying around, but for future reference.

only Baytril 10% in liquid suspension.

I’d be curious to know if are there any human antibiotics which may be helpful? not that we have any laying around, but for future reference.
    Baytril (animal med) has been used for some types of bacterial infections but it has no activity against anaerobes.
    Anaeobes is a bacteria that grows without oxygen like one would find within a closed area like your wild exhibits.
    I've been successful treating infections with human meds Clavamox (
    (amoxicillin clavulanate) also known as Augmentin.
    Also Clindamycin and Metronidazole are broad spectrum ab's that will also treat these infections.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

human meds Clavamox ([/I] (amoxicillin clavulanate) also known as Augmentin.
    Also Clindamycin and Metronidazole are broad spectrum ab's that will also treat these infections.
    I’d imagine those pills would have to be broken into some pretty small pieces. Or else crushed completely, put into into liquid suspension, and administered by a drop or two at a time.

I’d imagine those pills would have to be broken into some pretty small pieces. Or else crushed completely, put into into liquid suspension, and administered by a drop or two at a time.
    Pills are never cut and administered. They are always crushed, mixed with liquid and administered orally by syringe if the animal can be handled or dosed on a nut if not.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

stepnstone (11-28-2020)

Never try to give meds this way! It is reckless and dangerous!
    The milligrams of human medications is understandably much higher then an animal's use.
    There is a process of dilution to get a human medication down to the proper milligrams for a squirrel.
    Once that is done it is administered by body weight of the squirrel or a close estimate to body weight.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

TubeDriver (11-28-2020)

Never try to give meds this way! It is reckless and dangerous!
    The milligrams of human medications is understandably much higher then an animal's use.
    There is a process of dilution to get a human medication down to the proper milligrams for a squirrel.
    Once that is done it is administered by body weight of the squirrel or a close estimate to body weight.
    yeah, else crushed completely, put into into liquid suspension, and administered by a drop or two at a time.

I also noticed one of my wilds has a huge lump from its neck to its upper front leg. And I mean HUGE. Unfortunately I don’t have a picture. He doesn’t come close to administer any type of medication, so I pray it’s an abscess that pops and goes away on its own. It kills me to see.