Thread: Malocclusion??

Default Malocclusion??

This is Elliot:

Name:  F78E11FF-DE4B-4226-B68A-50E97E756165.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  101.2 KB

He arrived Nov. 13; was about 170g skelton. After Fox Valley and Ultraboost he now weighs 250 g. I worried about his head, it seemed kind of odd, like too bulged ? But he seems to be gaining weight well and is learning to move around and climb some. I’m watching him close; wonder if he may have had a head trauma , just seems like he’s a little “slow” idk. But what about these teeth?? From the day he came, his upper teeth have barely grown but the bottom are long razors. And from the side view, are they setting too far back to be able to wear down?? And can they even wear down if the uppers aren’t long enough?? Do these fall out and new ones come in? I never really watched teeth much but now having two malocclusion NR’s I guess I find myself staring too hard . Does this look concerning: ??
    Name:  D14EC99C-84C1-4E28-BA65-6287CD895291.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  166.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Malocclusion??

They actually look ok to me, but I have not dealt with a malloc in many years. Hopefully Milo's Mom or someone else who has gone the 9 yards will chime in.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Snicker Bar (11-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    Do these fall out and new ones come in?
    The answer to that is no, baby teeth develop into adult teeth.
    When taking pictures of incisors don't pull the lip or jaw down to expose them, the bottom incisors are
    always going to appear too long when you do that. You want to view them in a relaxed natural state.
    Considering that and from what I can tell from the pictures they look pretty normal to me.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Snicker Bar (11-25-2020)

Ok thanks ,
    With both Doodles and Sweet Pea, I guess I knew there was problem when the bottom teeth were poking into the roof of their mouths. I knew I had to trim. And they get right back, couldn’t wear down . So unless I see them making a sore I will leave them alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    Ok thanks ,
    With both Doodles and Sweet Pea, I guess I knew there was problem when the bottom teeth were poking into the roof of their mouths. I knew I had to trim. And they get right back, couldn’t wear down .
    So unless I see them making a sore I will leave them alone.

Your going to be seeing what we're not...
    If they are going behind the top incisors I'd recommend trimming before they even get to that point.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Scooterzmom (11-25-2020), Snicker Bar (11-25-2020)

Will do ; and I’ll try like you said to gently pull the lips up/down and see how they look naturally. I’ll keep a close eye on them. Thanks!

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Snicker Bar:

Scooterzmom (11-26-2020), stepnstone (11-25-2020)

I’m still monitoring his teeth, and still see something that looks like they’re headed in this direction:

Name:  48C7DC0A-3913-4504-8EF0-112A857623F8.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  148.3 KB

When I carefully ease his lower lip down, his long, bottom teeth seem to be set just behind the uppers , enough so that they will not touch. And, his upper teeth seem to be delayed ( I guess??) He weighs about 250 g now. Not sure what age that would make him.

If his teeth continue on this path, can anything be done to redirect their growth , so they can grind with his upper teeth ( if they ever start growing??

I don’t want to do anything that would mess him up worse.

Hello Snickerbar - I recognize that webpage about malocllusion, as I spent much time investigating what to do with my NR Calif. Ground Squirrel.

Tinkerbelle is missing one of her top incisors. She has actually learned to adjust her bite so that her bottom incisors line up when she's chewing something. I can see her tilt her head a bit and move her jaw sideways. That being the case, her poor remaining top tooth just keeps growing and growing, and getting worn down and worn down. It's never more than about 3 mm long, and always white, because it's always just barely a brand new tooth. And, despite her ability to chew with just the one top tooth, her bottom ones outgrow it quickly and I have to trim them regularly. It sounds like you have dealt with that in the past.

I agree that trimming the bottom ones a bit might be a good idea as your youngster is beginning to gnaw and chew on stuff. Hopefully he will adapt if they are not quite lined up. At least he has them all, so that's a start!

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tinkerbelle from:

Snicker Bar (12-01-2020)

Thank you TB for sharing your girl’s experience. I’ve been waiting to see what naturally happens; I don’t want to create a problem. I checked again last night and they still don’t appear to be touching the roof of his mouth but if I pull his lower lip down it looks like an overbite. But maybe when he’s chewing they do move forward (?) That’s what I’m hoping for He has lots of things to chew on, including my hand . I’ll keep checking and if they get any closer to the hard palate I’ll nip them back so that the upper teeth can catch up (?) I guess.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

Scooterzmom (12-01-2020)