Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 years and still acting like 7 weeks

Default Re: 7 years and still acting like 7 weeks

I dont want to introduce meds to him- I would love to take him out but he wont get on a leash so if you have a good leash you recommend please give me the link and I will get it- I live in a small place so maybe he is board of the same things, I just dont know what to do for him to just calm down- He is impossible!! yesturday was another insane day- he was up from 6:30 all the way to 3:00 pm, nothing I did helped he just would not relax, then he woke up at 7 pm and would not go to bed until 10:30 PM- I just dont know how long I can take this for!!! I am stressed out and frustrated

Hi RamiS! I can totally understand your frustration. Was there any reason why he was not released before? You said he is 7 years old. Has he been with you the whole time?

Again, I'm not an expert at all. I don't know if an adult, like 7 years old squirrel, can be released successfully. Maybe others can comment on that.

Another option might be to find a really good rehabilitate facility and ask their help to keep him or release him? Again, I would like the senior members/experts to comment on these options.

Related to above, where do you live? Maybe someone can point out a place or person that can help.
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Hey there- Yes I have raised him since he was rescued at 4-5 weeks old- When he was young I tried to find a good releasing situation but sadly never could. And now he is 7 and releasing him I think is not at all a good idea and would break my heart to not have my boy-- but I also cannot deal with this insanity on a daily bases there must be a solution of some sort I really doubt and maybe I am wrong that at 7 years old they would be this hyperactive all day everyday no matter the season

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamiS from:

Buddy (11-25-2020)

I agree! Doesn't seem like the best idea to release him in the wild after 7 years of living indoors.

I think you should try different harnesses; if you are handy, maybe you can build something that would work for him.

I saw this on amazon. Seems like it might work, but the products are not exactly what they seem to be on the internet, so I would definitely try and practice the harness you purchase at home to make sure that he cannot get out / slip from it.

https://www.amazon.com/Squirrel-Trac.../dp/B07ZPBYYMN

Does he have a nest box? Even a small one? My squirrel didn't like his first; but now he loves it and if I bring his nest box home, even when he is loose, he would go inside his nest box to chill/sleep. Maybe get a nest box to put in his cage and he might like being in it?

Does he have a hammock in his cage and toys etc? Buddy has this hammock in his indoor cage that he likes. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VWVN4F9
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Hey Buddy- I will look up the leash- Yes I got him a nest box years ago and its here he does not care for it, and he has two hammocks and nothing he cares about none of it- I get him branches and now he does not care for them anymore- all he wants to do no kidding (6-8) hours a day is run around in circles (pacing) none stop and I am losing my darn mind

Who knows? I’m not sure how a 7 year old squirrel would do in the wild. Most times they are too friendly. I think you would have to really evaluate how he is behaving. Even at that point I’d think it would take awhile for him to acclimate in a RC before he was ready to be released. He certainly shouldn’t be released until Spring if you live in a cold climate.

Has anyone else ever heard of releasing a squirrel that is 7 years old?

Would really rather not take that chance at 7 years old- its a big risk from what I understand- I just want expert opinions on what I can do to calm him down- I work from home and I am blessed but even with that I cannot focus on my work most of the day b.c of all the pacing

This is probably too much to consider; but maybe the next opportunity, you can move to a first floor apartment with access to a yard or balcony and build him a cage or take his current cage outside? Or maybe with a small room / office area that he can be left alone... I know it's a more long term thing, but something to consider, if the opportunity presents itself.

If you really don’t want to release him have you considered building an outdoor enclosure on a patio or balcony where he could spend his time during the day? Removing him from your immediate area where you are working would alleviate some of the stress for you.

We built our release cage in a modular fashion. Each piece of wood frame is either 2x6 or 4x6 and then covered with a piece of hardware cloth. The wooden frames are then screwed together. This makes the cage easy to break down when it’s not needed or if you want to move or modify it.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (11-25-2020), RamiS (06-13-2022)

CBD oil might be another thing you can try. I hear that it has a calming effect on animals. Again, not an expert, so I'd definitely get approval from one of the senior members / experts in the forum and suggestions on the dose.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    If you really don’t want to release him have you considered building an outdoor enclosure on a patio or balcony where he could spend his time during the day? Removing him from your immediate area where you are working would alleviate some of the stress for you.

We built our release cage in a modular fashion. Each piece of wood frame is either 2x6 or 4x6 and then covered with a piece of hardware cloth. The wooden frames are then screwed together. This makes the cage easy to break down when it’s not needed or if you want to move or modify it.
    Wold love too, but I live in an apartment!

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    CBD oil might be another thing you can try. I hear that it has a calming effect on animals. Again, not an expert, so I'd definitely get approval from one of the senior members / experts in the forum and suggestions on the dose.
    Have you tried this: https://www.walmart.com/grocery/ip/B...10-mL/25581235

I would be willing to give it a try if it is safe

That's the one I was referring in an earlier post. I think the one you have is a smaller version. I haven't used it. I'm not sure if you can use it all the time, or just occasionally. Someone with more experience hopefully can comment further.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

RamiS (11-25-2020)

Just putting a face to the story
    Attached Images Attached Images  

18. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RamiS:

Buddy (11-25-2020), Chirps (11-26-2020), McCarthy (01-28-2023), PennyCash (12-15-2020), Squirreleesi (11-26-2020)

I'm in love 😍
    No way should you think about releasing. He's a house squirrel now
    Only option if you just have to, maybe find another forever home for him, but that may break both your hearts 💔
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

Buddy (11-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    I'm in love 😍
    No way should you think about releasing. He's a house squirrel now
    Only option if you just have to, maybe find another forever home for him, but that may break both your hearts 💔
    No way- he is my boy- we have a strong bond- but that still leaves me with a problem of his hyperactive attitude- Maybe a bigger apartment?

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RamiS:

Buddy (11-25-2020), McCarthy (01-28-2023)

So cute and handsome!!! I can see his mischievousness!

Yes, very special bond!

Bigger apartment sounds like it would give the space that you both need!

Quote Originally Posted by RamiS View Post
    No way- he is my boy- we have a strong bond- but that still leaves me with a problem of his hyperactive attitude- Maybe a bigger apartment?
    I know well of that bond
    It's like having a two year old, but actually I'm glad your posting about him being hyper as opposed to being lethargic
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

25. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Charley Chuckles:

Buddy (11-25-2020), Chirps (11-26-2020), McCarthy (01-28-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RamiS View Post
    Just putting a face to the story
    Awww. He is so precious. I like the idea of giving him a hard black walnut to chew on and maybe a box of dirt?
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to JLM27 from:

Buddy (11-26-2020)

Hi! Your boy is adorable! Kudos to you for having a healthy, energetic boy at age 7. I'm a bit confused though. If he has been this active all his life, why is it distracting you now? Is he more zany lately, or is it maybe more an issue that you're worried about your upcoming absence and noticing just how active he is and concerned about confining him to the cage for extended periods?

I am by no means an expert but it seems the best thing for your situation will be the biggest cage you can get since he'll be spending a lot of time in it in the near future. And this is temporary, yes? Months tops?
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast