Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 7 years and still acting like 7 weeks

Default Re: 7 years and still acting like 7 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by RamiS View Post
    I dont want to give him the nuts as its hard enough to get him to eat his veggies without the extra distractions
    Hmmm.

Black walnuts and hickory nuts are suggested because of their very thick shells. Initially, he will eat some, which will be a time consuming, happy process, but eventually he will conclude they are too much work. That is when the shell game will begin. He will try to find the perfect place to cache each nut.

I've spent several days rolling this over in my head trying to come up with a true solution for your dilemma.
    Considering that this year many in the world have had their entire schedule changed beyond recognition. I wonder if you previously went to the office for 9 - 10 hrs during your work week.
    I'm curious if this is his usual bored behavior but your now home witnessing it 24/7? I also think it's possible that all the stress has you a bit on edge. I know that when I'm upset every little thing drives me bonkers. Even things that I usually don't notice such as how loudly the cats crunch their kibbles. Or the fact that my Dear Husband takes 3 sips in a row whenever he drinks, like on Sheldon. Resilie was my happy place, my daily dose of sunshine and she never seemed to do anything truly annoying. Whereas others being noisy eaters bothers me tremendously it was adorable to hear her nomming away. I always had a reason to laugh because even when she was naughty she was cute doing it. Knowing full well she was playing me like a fiddle. Smiling when she got her way. Her intelligence always impressed me and challenged me to up my game so to speak. Hence why I had to get so creative to keep her occupied.
    My girl had a loop herself, in fact she had a couple. When I was preparing her breakfast I'd hear her do a loop in her cage. Thump, run, thump, run, thump. After she ate some breakfast there was another path she'd follow every day while I was cleaning her cage. Once a week while changing out her fleece (I was preoccupied longer) she'd get impatient and act naughty to get my attention, another sort of loop. This was all perfectly normal for our situation and they were short periods of time. Then once I played with her and loved on her she usually settled down for a nap. Or to watch the outside birds and squirrels eating at the buffet.
    I don't believe the size of your space is too small for your Gorgeous Guy since Resilie spent her entire life in mainly 1 room. I think it's more a matter of because of the size of your apartment you hear his every move.
    Regularly I switched out enrichment items, new things for her to do. I made a point of showing her what was new and then allowing her time to fully investigate. As mentioned previously I'd do the toilet roll puzzle making sure she saw me put the piece of nut in the middle. Since I was a tough squammy the tiniest piece of nut was sought after as she rarely got more than half a nut daily. We made her a cage attached to a window in her room so she could see and feel the sun. Sometimes she would stay out there for long periods of time weather permitting. She had a sand box to play in, with area protection for the slinging sand. New stuffies regularly, small limbs to chew on, fresh buds to remove from larger limbs. I even bought live trees for her although that was short lived. I'd move things around a couple times a year, she wasn't always a fan at first but definitely broke up cycles of boredom. She wasn't allowed to keep any stashes for more than a few days as they were removed weekly. Although I would also occasionally make a point to hide a piece of nut in one of her areas whenever I did my deep cleaning.
    Resilie got 2 - 5 hrs of dedicated attention spilt between morning and evening daily. Our average was 3 hrs a day 1 1/2 every morning and 1 1/2 in the evening.
    She loved to chase things so we spent a good amount of play time with me tossing items for her to chase. Was great at wearing her out.
    I hear you when you say he's not interested in shredding paper and building nests. Resilie built a semi nest in a box once and decided she preferred being pampered with her momma building a fleece nest for her.

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to PennyCash:

Buddy (12-18-2020), Chirps (12-21-2020), Mel1959 (12-21-2020)

Let me just throw this out there

I am a big dog person, but ever sense I rescued my little devil of course I stayed away from that idea, but I am thinking of rescuing a puppy in the summer, that should be fine rite? given that I monitor the situation closely!! Remember I said puppy not a full grown dog

Maybe this grounds him as well knowing there is another alpha at home LOL

One thing you can do is to add ergonomic toys for him to play with in his enclosure that support health activity and enhances the quality of life.

Our foxer loved the dangling all cotton soft rope she played with when we pulled it up and let it drop down to the floor. It was easy to put in removing just a small spot of wire fabric at the top of the cage to thread the rope through, then knotting it at the top and the other end leaving just few inches lying on the floor.

Placing an empty paper towel holder into a tube sock makes a super surrogate squirrel buddy for him to wrastle and roll with.

With a 'squirrel' plush dog toy (no button eyes) was our squirrel's favorite play buddy.

I am a big dog person, but ever sense I rescued my little devil of course I stayed away from that idea, but I am thinking of rescuing a puppy in the summer, that should be fine rite? given that I monitor the situation closely!! Remember I said puppy not a full grown dog

Bad idea.

When I first read this I thought surely your just joking or perhaps trying to push some buttons. I'll admit I was pretty surprised.
    Here you are complaining about a squirrel pacing around your small apartment and your thinking a large breed puppy will help? If the squirrel is interrupting your professional job do you think a puppy will be better?
    Maybe you've not been around long enough to remember a horrible event that devastated this board years ago. A member had some dogs and several squirrels. The dogs had never acted as if they cared about the squirrels. The member was excellent about not leaving them alone together.
    One day while the member was out the dogs managed to both get into the squirrel room and into the squirrel cage. It was truly a devastating event and a lesson for many.
    What you're suggesting is bringing a puppy into a small home with a squirrel who isn't even secured in a cage with someone who works 9 - 10 hrs a day.
    A puppy who will require time and training to learn acceptable behavior.
    Ultimately your life and your decision. I just hope that you're ready and prepared for the possible consequences.

8. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to PennyCash:

Mel1959 (12-21-2020), Misch (12-19-2020), Squirreleesi (12-21-2020), stepnstone (12-19-2020)

Apparently I did not make myself clear- It was a question, you know; the kind that someone asks and someone else answers! Not the one that someone asks and another turns into a disciplinary figure to make the other person feel as if they are unstable, or uncaring or perhaps irresponsible!

I have been a member on this form for nearly 7 years now, and the majority of the time I encounter caring, patient people but sometimes there has to be those that proclaim authority and knowledge over passion and care.

Of course I understand the risk, and as there are stories of a bad nature, there are some with other pets with a happy nature co-living with squirrels, so the way you approached this matter was a little wanky to say the least.

I am sure you think you are the most caring and loving human to wildlife, but you are not, there are many like you or even yet better and more caring, I spend my childhood and adult life thus far caring, and choosing animals interest over my own almost all the time, so pleas do not presume you have me figured out.

you could have made your point without needing to sound like I am stupid.

you could have made your point without needing to sound like I am stupid.
    I am sure you think you are the most caring and loving human to wildlife, but you are not, there are many like you or even yet better and more caring,
    You as well could have made your point without the retaliatory insult.
    Call it even, agree to disagree and move on. This is not the place for personal attacks.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

11. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Buddy (12-21-2020), Chirps (12-21-2020), Mel1959 (12-21-2020), Misch (12-19-2020)

Since you were asking the question, I’ll answer. I think it’s a very, very bad idea. I think your stress level would climb enormously....much higher than it is now! The amount of time and energy that is required to care for and train a puppy is significant, as I’m sure you know. If you are already feeling torn about the time required to care for your squirrel on top of working long days, I’m not sure why you would want to complicate your life further?? What if your squirrel is jealous of the new puppy and begins acting out aggressively? What if his repetitive behavior worsens? How will you handle this?

I don’t see this going well for anyone involved.

13. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (12-21-2020), Chirps (12-21-2020), Diggie's Friend (12-22-2020)

A few weeks ago, the thought of bringing another squirrel as a friend came to my mind; but as everyone indicated; there could be really bad consequences. They might hate each other and you end up with 2 miserable animals, instead of 1 and they can get aggressive with each other or jealous of each other and even hurt each other in a fight or daily fights. It could be much more stressful for them and for you.

Same thing for the puppy and as everyone said, puppies are a lot of work just by themselves. Add your little boy to the mix; it could affect the dog's psychology in a bad way, and again, you end up with misbehaving dog and a squirrel.

Could it also be opposite and they get along well and be real good friends? Possibly. But I think it's a really big risk to take, in which other animals' lives are involved.
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Buddy:

Chirps (12-21-2020), Mel1959 (12-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    A few weeks ago, the thought of bringing another squirrel as a friend came to my mind; but as everyone indicated; there could be really bad consequences. They might hate each other and you end up with 2 miserable animals, instead of 1 and they can get aggressive with each other or jealous of each other and even hurt each other in a fight or daily fights. It could be much more stressful for them and for you.

Same thing for the puppy and as everyone said, puppies are a lot of work just by themselves. Add your little boy to the mix; it could affect the dog's psychology in a bad way, and again, you end up with misbehaving dog and a squirrel.

Could it also be opposite and they get along well and be real good friends? Possibly. But I think it's a really big risk to take, in which other animals' lives are involved.
    Hi Buddy, Thank you for your comment and advise- One question to follow up on what you said. Do you really think my boy is miserable?

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    Not to throw a wrench into the works however I just want to add my 2cents....
    Unfortunately I've had to deal with odatomas in a couple of my kids.
    Never could figure how they get them🤔
    I have a theory and its only a theory....using hard shell nuts like black walnuts and such to occupy a squirrel instead of branches causes them to CHEW CHEW CHEW which may be putting pressure on their jaws/teeth where as a wild squirrel does not sit and do that daily.
    I would suggest trying something like coconut shells, change it up even deer anlter, use your imagination.
    I've just seen harm caused by continuous chewing on something hard on a regular basis, almost like when they chew on their cage wire.
    Just reiterating my suggestions from a few pages ago and to clear up what I was saying.
    Yes antlers/coconut shells and the likes are hard, however they do need them to keep teeth down. I suggested that hard shell nuts might not be a good idea simply because I've had experience with hard shell nuts and my kid would work on it ALL day because there is a prize inside, the NUT 😉 sure keeps them busy but the repetitiveness might cause tooth issues similar to cage bar chewing.
    I've never seen a squirrel chew non stop on antlers etc.

Ok just wanted to clear that up and hope maybe something like that would help.
    I've also hung stands of fleece with wooden blocks so they can climb and chew.
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

Buddy (12-23-2020)

Hi Buddy, Thank you for your comment and advise- One question to follow up on what you said. Do you really think my boy is miserable?
    Sorry, no, I didn't mean that at all! I don't think your adorable little boy is miserable at all. He sounds like he is hyper active and might be misbehaving at times. What I meant was that if things do NOT go as you plan, you might end up with 2 miserable animals; because they hate each other and fight with each other etc.

Again, your boy seems actually very sweet. And he is 7 years old. That's such a great accomplishment! It's obvious you care about him and love him so much and invest so much of your time and energy and I'm sure you're doing a great job taking care of him. No doubt about it.
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

RamiS (12-23-2020)

To add... As much active he is, he is probably just totally fine and happy. Like someone else said in an earlier post... It's better to have an active, healthy squirrel than sick, lethargic one.

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Buddy:

Diggie's Friend (02-07-2022), RamiS (12-23-2020)

Back again everyone

He is now 8 years and some change, and guess what.... STILL AS CRAZY AS EVER HAHA!

I am planning to move to another apartment or house, just depends on the prices, things have gone crazy pricy the last 2 years, what used to be a 1000$ house is now at least double the price, but whatever I get will have either a patio, balcony or backyard.

One apartment I have been looking at has a Balcony, but its a little small, I would say it would fit a critter nation cage easily but was wondering what you guys have of ideas to make the balcony his new cool hang out place, would be great if I can close it off so he can roam freely there.

Ideas please

New photos coming up
    Attached Images Attached Images   

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RamiS:

Diggie's Friend (02-07-2022), McCarthy (01-28-2023)

Back again everyone

He is now 8 years and some change, and guess what.... STILL AS CRAZY AS EVER HAHA!

I am planning to move to another apartment or house, just depends on the prices, things have gone crazy pricy the last 2 years, what used to be a 1000$ house is now at least double the price, but whatever I get will have either a patio, balcony or backyard.

One apartment I have been looking at has a Balcony, but its a little small, I would say it would fit a critter nation cage easily but was wondering what you guys have of ideas to make the balcony his new cool hang out place, would be great if I can close it off so he can roam freely there.

Ideas please

New photos coming up

Rolling out a secure cage on the balcony would be nice for for some fresh air and sunshine but I don't think I could trust trying to transform the whole balcony into a play area. Squirrels are houdini's and can pull a disappearing act with any given chance right under our noses. Height is no deterrent.
    At 4 years my squirrel left her playroom, chewed through a screen and went out a 2 story window with no ledge, nothing to hold unto, and a flat wall of vinyl siding that no squirrel has ever been able to climb. A year later she came back, I found her badly injuried, thankfully survived.
    Back in a day I also had 2 cats that loved to sun themselves on a second floor balcony. The railing was screened but after about a year one decided to jump and check out what was below. Fortunately, I heard him crying below before he got run off.
    Besides all that, the attention it would bring having a "pet" squirrel running around the balcony is not a good idea in my opinion...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Chirps (02-07-2022)

totally agree.

I am just trying to think of how to make it as fun for him as possible. I would however need to dark screen the balcony so no one can see him.

Hi! So happy to hear that your boy is still hale and hearty! Needed the lift of some good news.

Best wishes with the move when you figure out where to go. You don't say where you are, but if it's not a squirrel-friendly or legal place, well, others already said the thing that I was thinking. My heart clinches when I read about a balcony and picturing neighbors who need to MYOB but don't. I think most of us know the sort.

I am a bit paranoid due to things that have happened to my family in the past with "unusual" pets, so my mind is racing ahead to you already having an apartment and dark screening the balcony. If it were me I'd probably be afraid even then to put him out there until nosy neighbors got used to and disinterested in the change. Like I'd wait until a goodly while had passed and they had stopped paying attention, then would worry about how long is long enough. Is anyone still trying to see? Can anyone still see even with it darkened? . . . See what I mean? I think and rethink worst case scenarios. Hate it but can't help it.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Depending on the way a balcony is made you could always add a curtain rod, whether a tension rod or one that was installed, and hang some inexpensive almost sheer curtains. HomeGoods is a good place to purchase something like this.

@Chrips- I get it. Thank you for reminding me to be extra careful its never a bad idea to take extra measures to ensure his safety. And yes, where I live you cannot keep them as pets, sadly. You can shot them for fun but cant take care of them, tell me thats not backwards!!!!!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast