Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 years and still acting like 7 weeks

Default Re: 7 years and still acting like 7 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by RamiS View Post
    Well said and thank you

Can you tell me which coconut shell should I get or deer anlter? links from amazon or such would be amazing if possible Thank you
    I will just buy a coconut from walmart and use that shell, would that work? is it healthy for him?

Well said and thank you

Can you tell me which coconut shell should I get or deer anlter? links from amazon or such would be amazing if possible Thank you
    I just go to my store get a coconut take a hammer to it, remove the coconut guts and give my kids pieces of the shell. Then again I'm in Florida so I can get them year round.
    Deer antlers Petco, Amazon also femer cow bones
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

I am pretty sure that a deer antler, which is bone, is harder than a black walnut or hickory nut. A piece of antler can come to have a pretty sharp edge.

Note, not all squirrels have an interest in antlers. At first my squirrel was super excited about the antler and gnawed up a substantial amount of it. (They eat it for the minerals.) She hasn't touched in months, maybe she doesn't need those minerals at the moment.

Clearly your situation is a complex one which needs to be addressed in multiple ways, try some things and see what has the most positive effects. This is a case where different people will come up with an assortment of different suggestions.

In the wild a squirrel will often gnaw on the nut some then bury it. Supposedly, being in contact with damp earth softens the shell over time.

As far as I can tell, my squirrel has not cracked open a black walnut or hickory nut in more than a month, though I believe there are probably at least a dozen cached here or there. I do see her moving those around periodically.

Hi everyone- I will have to go stay at my mom's place to watch over her doing recovery, so lets hope he does okay with an hour in the car and he does ok in her place

It has been my experience that squirrels travel very well. Place him in a small travel cage and cover it with a sheet.

I have had great luck with both my wild and rehabbed squirrels chewing on bones. I buy bone marrow bones from the grocery store and let my dog eat the bone marrow out then I place the bones on tree branches. I have seen many of my yard squirrels chewing on them.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

RamiS (11-29-2020)

Face it. He owns you. Really I think your best bet at this point is to do what he asks and be as well behaved as possible to avoid being released. 🤦*♀️

For your dilemma in the short term, I'm assuming he doesn't attack or bite people, from your description. Have you considered hiring or offering lodging to a sort of squirrel-sitter while you're gone, a trusted friend who knows his needs or a well-vetted (no pun intended) person who has experiences with squirrels similar animals? good luck!

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to furrina from:

island rehabber (12-04-2020)

anyone please tell me how in &%#@# people put a harness on these ninja creatures LOL

anyone please tell me how in &%#@# people put a harness on these ninja creatures LOL
    You can try my method.

First, purchase the proper sized harness. Then spend a week practicing putting it on a running chainsaw. Once you have mastered that, it is time to proceed to step 2.

Wad it up into a small clump and stuff it in the back of your junk drawer. There! Done!

I think that you need to start habituating them to this when they are babies - like pre-eye opening. They feel like restraint and restraint is what predators do to you just before they eat you. You are trying to fight evolution and it ain't gonna happen.

11. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Buddy (12-04-2020), island rehabber (12-04-2020), lukaslolamaus (12-04-2020), Mel1959 (12-04-2020)

Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

We tried this a month ago or so with Buddy. Unfortunately harness itself wasn't made well.

So, yes, it sits in a drawer.

Name:  20201204_085615.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  111.8 KB
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    You can try my method.

First, purchase the proper sized harness. Then spend a week practicing putting it on a running chainsaw. Once you have mastered that, it is time to proceed to step 2.

Wad it up into a small clump and stuff it in the back of your junk drawer. There! Done!

I think that you need to start habituating them to this when they are babies - like pre-eye opening. They feel like restraint and restraint is what predators do to you just before they eat you. You are trying to fight evolution and it ain't gonna happen.
    Lol. That's about right. Even if you could get it on, a big if, I would think that it would need to be made out of small steel links of chain (or Mithril), because they can chew through stranded wire and anything else that a harness would be made out of.

I just think of all of the different ways that disaster can unfold as they take off at full speed, zigzagging and leaping.

So for me, the idea of attempting to put on a harness lasted about two seconds.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (12-04-2020)

It looked promising and tons of good reviews but I didn't feel safe to take Buddy out with it.

Name:  20201204_085640.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  75.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    We tried this a month ago or so with Buddy. Unfortunately harness itself wasn't made well.

So, yes, it sits in a drawer.
    You got it on, that's amazing. (but you have been handling Buddy since he was a pinkie.) Did Buddy chew through it? Or slip out of it? Or did it not fit well?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    I just think of all of the different ways that disaster can unfold as they take off at full speed, zigzagging and leaping.
    Yep! Exactly!

You got it on, that's amazing. (but you have been handling Buddy since he was a pinkie.) Did Buddy chew through it? Or slip out of it? Or did it not fit well?
    Yes, he is a very good boy! He loves playing and can get super active/crazy but he definitely let me handle him and tolerates uncomfortable positions for a short period of time.

They made this harness from a material that can stretch. Not so much, but like you said, with a full speed, I'm sure Buddy could get out of it or get into some kind of trouble. It's adjustable, so you can make it tight (which I did), so it could maybe work with a small animal that's not running like crazy, but I don't think an active squirrel stays in it for a long time; especially if they don't want to. So very risky!

I only kept it on him for about 10 min. When I figured it out it wasn't going to work, I took it off.

I am pretty sure that Buddy could slip out of it if he wanted to. Helen (fully grown) can enter a space to which the opening is 1 1/2" by 6". She turns sideways, like a race car taking a bank turn, and at first rubbed off some fur on the tip of her nose. If Buddy pulled backward I am pretty sure that he could get free.

So they are able to collapse themselves to a surprising degree.

The say that a rat can enter a space with an opening the size of a quarter and a mouse, an opening the size of a dime.

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

Buddy (12-04-2020), Diggie's Friend (12-04-2020)

If Buddy pulled backward I am pretty sure that he could get free.
    That's the feeling I had too.

I would think that the harnesses that are made more like vests, with more material than just skinny straps, would fit better and they’d be less likely to wiggle out of them. I’m still not sure I’d trust it outside.

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (12-04-2020), Diggie's Friend (12-04-2020)

I am pretty sure that Buddy could slip out of it if he wanted to. Helen (fully grown) can enter a space to which the opening is 1 1/2" by 6". She turns sideways, like a race car taking a bank turn, and at first rubbed off some fur on the tip of her nose. If Buddy pulled backward I am pretty sure that he could get free.

So they are able to collapse themselves to a surprising degree.

The say that a rat can enter a space with an opening the size of a quarter and a mouse, an opening the size of a dime.

Found this last year, thought it was entertaining and informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGXYZwZEZa0

Just found this one, also interesting.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qA54fRaodZE

Here's one for squirrels. Warning that there are frustrated squirrels in this video, but no harm except for a bit of lost fur. The guy was very attentive, as he explains in the description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS4ach0CwN4
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast