Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 years and still acting like 7 weeks

Default 7 years and still acting like 7 weeks

Hi Fam I hope you and your families are well and safe- I need your help, ideas and everything you got as I am just about ready to admit myself into a mental

Mr.Moby is now 7 years old, we celebrated his BD in October

Story: Moby has always been active, but as years go by he has not calmed down like many of the other stories I see of them calming down once they hit a certain age. I love my boy many of you who know me know that about me, but with that said, 7 years into this there MUST be a change- I cannot continue to deal with the crazy running around 6-7 hours continues daily. I need a system in place.

He has a critter cage which in the last 6 years he may have spend 5 minutes in it!!! if I put him in there and go out to my office room and work he started banging on the metal and it is very frustrating. He lost all interest in branches, toys, rolling paper or anything I get him. I have a family member coming to stay with me since my mom is going in for a very sensitive surgery DEC 1 and I dont know what to do with him being this way.

I need all your ideas, suggestions (toys, photos are helpful) just anything b.c there will be days where I would need to leave him at home and be gone most of the day to see my mom at the hospital which is already an hour away

Thank you Fam- PLEASE HELP

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RamiS:

Diggie's Friend (11-24-2020), gunpackingrandma (12-23-2020)

Default Re: 7 years and still acting like 7 weeks

Wow! First congratulations on raising and taking care of Mr. Moby for so many years! What a great success!

I hope I can say the same for my little Buddy!

Not sure where you live but can you take him outside for a period of time in his cage? Especially if you live in a milder climate area. I think the outside, all the noises, birds, other animals are definitely entertaining for them.

And again, not knowing your living conditions, but can you have a small room or maybe even spare bathroom that you can squirrel proof as much as a possible and he can stay there? At least for a while when you have the visitors staying with you?

Does he just room around during the day? I play with Buddy intensely for a 10-15 min to tire him off and after that he seems lot more calm.

Did you try to cover his cage with a bed sheet or something like that to make it a little darker and less stimulating? Even if you don't cover all, maybe the top part? That seems to help Buddy towards the evening for getting ready to go to sleep.

If possible to get a bigger cage or add a new section? Or maybe you can bring the cage closer to the window and open the curtains etc. so he can see outside?

Those are some of my ideas... I'm not an expert though at all, so I'm sure there'll be more suggestions.
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

RamiS (11-24-2020)

Thank you so much for the reply

i live in a small Apartment, I dont have a balcony sadly- he wakes up with me around 6:30 am and starting then he has the freedom to run around the place all day, or until I get a headache and have to end it by putting him in the cage a few hours later which in turn he starts banging on the metal and I have to be forced to open the cage door to which he starts running around like an idiot again- he has a window that is cracked open for him everyday, he goes there for 5 seconds then runs around and repeat ALL DAY until about 6 pm then he goes to bed-- its becoming to much to handle

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamiS from:

Buddy (11-24-2020)

I just remembered seeing this the other in Whole Foods in the pet aisle. Not recommending at all, as I mentioned I'm not an expert at all, but just rather asking maybe it could be used occasionally, if you need a calmer day (i.e. your mom's surgery day).

https://www.amazon.com/Rescue-Remedy.../dp/B004IFKSLY

It says in the description "RESCUE REMEDY PET with natural active homeopathic ingredients is alcohol-free and suitable for dogs, cats, horses, rabbits, birds and lizards"
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Diggie's Friend (12-18-2020)

Another idea... do you have a little mirror; like some bird cages would have or they sell for birds. Buddy is interested in looking at the mirror, so it might be something your squirrel might like?

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Buddy:

KCullen (05-14-2021), RamiS (11-24-2020)

I have a mirror in the living room and bedroom that he gives no care about- I tried rescue remedy before and did nothing

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamiS from:

Buddy (11-24-2020)

There was another post about outdoor harnesses. I personally don't know if that's a good idea or would work at all, but I wonder if you can try that?

Maybe some outdoor time would calm him down / tire him?

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...utdoor-harness

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

RamiS (11-24-2020)

I got him the leash from the UK amazon and its like the best there is, I got it years ago and each year I try to put it on him, there is no way in the world he would allow it-

What does his diet consist of?

Henry block, avocados and green beas- 1-2 hazelnuts and of course water- sometimes he will eat veggies when feels like it- and blueberries, apples and oranges all in moderation of course

I envy Mr. Moby's energy level.

Hmm.

Have you tried rearranging the furniture periodically?

Does he chew on the furniture?

Does he cuddle any?

Cuddle yes haha- I wake up and he is under the covers in my bed- he sneaks out of his cage as I always leave it open and sleeps in my bed, comfortable if I may add

If I try to change the furniture he goes even crazier, and yes he some times chews the furniture- not too bad though

As Buddy mentioned as the ambient temperature gets colder they do tend to become less active.

Helen would snuggle with me when I napped when she was younger, but no longer and has never climbed into my bed. I always worried that I might crush if she did.

Does his energy level very any with the seasons?

Does he rise and fall with the sun?

Does he make nest in various places in the apartment?

Every squirrel is a bit of an individual.

I was just trying to figure how much he is still behaving like a normal squirrel, retaining natural instincts or whether he altered in this different environment.

Your close bond should give some behavioral leverage, but we all know that squirrels are very strong willed.

You might give him a black walnut. That will keep him busy for a while. The shell is very thick. He may just spend his day putting it new hiding places.

Try adding Pycnogenol, just one eighth of a capsule powder from Healthy Origins 30 mg. 60 capsules per bottle on Amazon.com. PYC has helped a number of older tree squirrels get their zip back. Part of the reason for this is that PYC is a natural analgesic, anti-inflammatory, anti oxidant source, that reduces inflammation in joints, supports liver, kidney and heart function, and supports the normalization of blood sugar levels and a healthier metabolism. Just add this measure daily to a moist food staple like organic baked cooled Butternut squash no skin or seeds, and mix in well.

https://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Orgin.../dp/B00CLYNA14

My critter nation cage is 3 tiered, not sure that would help🤔
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

McCarthy (01-28-2023)

Could you leave Mr. Moby outside of his cage roaming free while you spent time taking care of your mother? Does he make dubious decisions while you are around or his he pretty safe?

To be on the safe side you could unplug things.

Rocky, you mean leave him alone outside the cage for half a day?? NO WAY hahaha

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamiS from:

Diggie's Friend (12-18-2020)

is it at all possible that he wants to be released

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast