Thread: UTI's

Hybrid View

Default UTI's

If the urine is very slow /a drop at a time or if its abdomen and bedding are consistently damp the squirrel may have a urinary tract infection. Uti's are often common in paralyzed squirrels because of the inability of most paralyzed squirrels to completely eliminate their bladder. Paralyzed squirrels that drag along the ground with genital area unprotected risk picking up bacteria that can enter through the urethra and set up infection.
    When a squirrel is on a high calcium diet without sufficient Vitamin D and magnesium they will often get small crystals of calcium that come out in the urine.
    Without treatment these crystals form stones in the bladder and kidneys. These crystals being present can cause Uti's because they are sharp and can cut into the bladder wall allowing bacteria to enter.
    Symptoms of both UTI and crystals in the urine include: cloudy urine, possible blood in the urine, unusual or strong smell to the urine, difficulty in eliminating urine.
    They may exhibit small drips of urine instead of a steady stream, lethargy, lack of appetite, pain in the abdominal area. Both UTIs and crystals in the urine will require antibiotics to correct.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

astra (04-13-2021), Diggie's Friend (04-02-2021)

Default Re: UTI's

What antibiotics do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by scruffers View Post
    What antibiotics do you recommend?
    Replied to your private message...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Exclamation Re: UTI's

My darling Icarus had an accident a couple of weeks ago leaving her hind legs and tail paralyzed. While she is getting some motion back in her limbs I believe she has a UTI now. My state euthanizes so I do not have access to a vet. What would you suggest?

Start calling friends and family to see if anyone has any leftover antibiotics. Cipro would be wonderful - it is used in UTIs in humans. See what you can find, get the name of the drug and post back here. If you find one that will work, someone here can help you to properly dilute it and dose it. We will need the name of the drug and the size in milligrams of the pill, and we will also need the weight of your squirrel, preferably in grams but we can calculate otherwise. YOU will need a 1cc or smaller syringe with clear markings (no needle) to do the dosing.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Start calling friends and family to see if anyone has any leftover antibiotics. Cipro would be wonderful - it is used in UTIs in humans. See what you can find, get the name of the drug and post back here. If you find one that will work, someone here can help you to properly dilute it and dose it. We will need the name of the drug and the size in milligrams of the pill, and we will also need the weight of your squirrel, preferably in grams but we can calculate otherwise. YOU will need a 1cc or smaller syringe with clear markings (no needle) to do the dosing.

I was able to get ahold of Cipro 250mg. I need to pick of the RX. but I am pretty sure it will be a pill. Icarus weighs right around 675 grams. She was more a couple of weeks ago but this ordeal has had her drop some weight. I think in part due to the UTI.