Thread: Buddy making weird sounds...

Default Buddy making weird sounds...

Buddy is making these weird sounds once in a while... He is fine, eating and playing...

I assume he is practicing his new voice/sounds and maybe calling friends?

Since he is mostly in his release cage during the day, he has some squirrels coming and visiting him frequently.

Let me also say that before Buddy, I wasn't super into squirrels. I thought they were cute and fast and of course, like any animal, I wish them the best; healthy, happy, long lives. But I never really observed them, so maybe all squirrels make these sounds.

I was able to capture it in the video below; 8, 13 and 23 sec.

Any idea why he is doing this??

Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Default Re: Buddy making weird sounds...

Predator warning... this article explains some of the various squirrel sounds.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...r6S_story.html

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Buddy (11-19-2020)

He may be hearing another creature outside giving a distress call and passing on the warning. Their hearing is very good. I have had Helen do something similar when I could hear something and at other times when I couldn't hear something. The other creature that Buddy is hearing giving a distress call could be a bird. It need not be a squirrel. The animals that are preyed upon have a sort of a community watch system. If one animals starts giving a warning, others often follow suit. If other animals are spooked by something, squirrels know that it is probably something that should worry them too.

This could also be a reaction to something going on in the house. He may see an object that is unfamiliar which leads him to give a warning call just to be on the safe side. It could be sound that somebody made that set him off. It could be an appliance or a sound from the TV. Even known objects which are in usual places can make them wary.

It could be a reaction to sudden movement by somebody in the house. I have spooked Helen by smashing a fly. If it is a sound that you know may worry Buddy you might try mimicking the sound before initiating the action that will create the sound, this way Buddy will be forewarned and less likely to startle.

That Buddy is listening to and passing on warning calls from creatures outside is a good thing.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (11-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Predator warning... this article explains some of the various squirrel sounds.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...r6S_story.html
    Thank you! I cannot see that article, I'm not subscribed to Washington Post, but as long as he is not in pain or some kind of problem with him, that's great!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    He may be hearing another creature outside giving a distress call and passing on the warning. Their hearing is very good. I have had Helen do something similar when I could hear something and at other times when I couldn't hear something. The other creature that Buddy is hearing giving a distress call could be a bird. It need not be a squirrel. The animals that are preyed upon have a sort of a community watch system. If one animals starts giving a warning, others often follow suit. If other animals are spooked by something, squirrels know that it is probably something that should worry them too.

This could also be a reaction to something going on in the house. He may see an object that is unfamiliar which leads him to give a warning call just to be on the safe side. It could be sound that somebody made that set him off. It could be an appliance or a sound from the TV. Even known objects which are in usual places can make them wary.

It could be a reaction to sudden movement by somebody in the house. I have spooked Helen by smashing a fly. If it is a sound that you know may worry Buddy you might try mimicking the sound before initiating the action that will create the sound, this way Buddy will be forewarned and less likely to startle.

That Buddy is listening to and passing on warning calls from creatures outside is a good thing.
    Thank you! Yes, I guess it could have been variety of things that I could not see or sense. The TV was on... So maybe it was something from that. Who knows what he might be sensing... I was just worried that it might be some kind of pain or something else than their regular communication sound.

Thank you both for clarifying and confirming!

I was also wondering if it's like a call for mating... He is only ~16 so I'm not sure when the mating hormones kick in for him.

For males it’s usually closer to a year old. Females are between 8-12 months.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Buddy (11-20-2020)

If you want to get specific this seems like an "aerial predator" call in my neighborhood. Ill hear this. Then about a minute later itll propagate thru the neighborhood at varying distances at 30 second or so intervals. Whenever i hear this one they are hugging the trees and making themselves scarce. My local hawk usually shows up about the time I hear it.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Procyon Lotor:

Buddy (11-20-2020), island rehabber (11-20-2020)

Thank you all!