Thread: Flyer diet...mushrooms

Default Flyer diet...mushrooms

I know mushrooms are an important part of a flyer's diet, but mine won't eat the white mushrooms. Any other varieties I should try???

Default Re: Flyer diet...mushrooms

Mine prefers shiitake. I’ve also bought enoki and portobello, neither were a big hit. You should try them all. What one squirrel hates another may love.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

sraul (11-15-2020)

Default Re: Flyer diet...mushrooms

Chanterelles aren't bitter as they aren't alkaline but acidic mushrooms. Much like fruits that range from alkaline to acidic, so it is with mushrooms as well. Chanterelles are also lower in oxalates than grey, white, and light beige mushroosm.. Cultivated mushrooms are higher in Calcium oxalate, a source of calcium that the body isn't able to utilize for calcium once bonded with oxalic acid. Yellow-feet are a winter species belonging to the same family group of mushrooms.

A little know fact on mushrooms is that they are a chelator (pull up out of he soil) of radioactive elements. In the region of South Oregon, one of the most pristine in the US, having amongst the lowest rad readings in the US, near zero. Same with the berries, that also chelate radioactive elements. This is why I don't recommend obtaining berries from other parts of the US.

Fresh mushrooms are known to commonly have worms and worm eggs in their vents that are hard to flush out. Chanterelle have false vents, easier to clean. After a few months ground and dried the eggs are no longer viable. The dried is easy to store, cheapest to supply.

Add 1/4 Tsp. of dried Chanterelle or Yellow-Feet mushroom powder to moist food daily enhances the flavor of that food for tree squirrels.

https://www.oregonmushrooms.com/p-11...le-powder.aspx (4 oz. 16.00)

https://www.oregonmushrooms.com/p-21...mushrooms.aspx (4 Oz powder 15.00)
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 11-17-2020 at 05:34 PM.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

sraul (11-18-2020)