Thread: loose tooth - advice please

Default loose tooth - advice please

Hello, I care for a one year old special needs boy who gets his teeth trimmed regularly. A rehabber with lots of clipping experience does this for me. Earlier, just as she got the clippers in place/secured around a top tooth, he jerked, pulling it loose. The tooth is still in the gum, but it bled and did come out of its socket slightly. It's visibly spaced out from the other tooth now. I don't know how much damage was done to the root.

Any advice? Will a tooth "reconnect" (for lack of a better word), after such trauma? If/when it falls out, I assume it will not grow back? I read once that these teeth will grow back if pulled, but seems unlikely.

I'd really appreciate any advice. His eye became milky, which I know is a result of pain. I gave him some metacam.

Thank you.

Default Re: loose tooth - advice please

Hi there - I have a 7 month old California Ground Squirrel with a missing top tooth. My advice may only apply somewhat to your situation, but here it is anyway.

She lost her other tooth when she was still a baby. I would notice blood on the nipple off and on for a few days, and then the tooth was gone. That tooth has not grown back.

Her other top tooth gets worn down almost to just a nub by chewing, and I have to keep trimming her bottom teeth to keep them from touching the roof of her mouth. At least one time in the trimming process I have thought one or the other bottom tooth seemed loose, but they have never fallen out.

She gets bite-sized hard food and/or soft diet for a few days after the trimming. I would recommend doing the same for your squirrel - soft food, or small bits she can put in her mouth and chew with her molars. Keep an eye on the tooth and give it some time.

Good luck to your little one!!

Tinkerbelle's mom

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tinkerbelle from:

tgramsey (11-15-2020)

Default Re: loose tooth - advice please

Thank you. I forgot to mentioned - he is a fox squirrel. His top and bottom both grow like crazy. Have to trim once every 1.5-2 weeks. I'm going to give him super soft food for the time being -- avocado dusted with calcium, baby food, etc. I'll keep a close watch. Thanks again for your comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
    Hi there - I have a 7 month old California Ground Squirrel with a missing top tooth. My advice may only apply somewhat to your situation, but here it is anyway.

She lost her other tooth when she was still a baby. I would notice blood on the nipple off and on for a few days, and then the tooth was gone. That tooth has not grown back.

Her other top tooth gets worn down almost to just a nub by chewing, and I have to keep trimming her bottom teeth to keep them from touching the roof of her mouth. At least one time in the trimming process I have thought one or the other bottom tooth seemed loose, but they have never fallen out.

She gets bite-sized hard food and/or soft diet for a few days after the trimming. I would recommend doing the same for your squirrel - soft food, or small bits she can put in her mouth and chew with her molars. Keep an eye on the tooth and give it some time.

Good luck to your little one!!

Tinkerbelle's mom